SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco

6K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  VolvoMax 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (McDonald)

Add the Saab 9-1 to the mix:

Saab managing director Jan-Ake Jonsson has confirmed that Saab is to build a compact small family car to rival the Audi A3 and BMW 1-Series.
Talking to Swedish paper TT, he also said that this will be built at Saab's factory in Trollhatten, thus securing the future of the plant.
The car, said to be called the 9-1, will replace the Subaru Impreza-based 9-2X in the US, but is also intended for worldwide sale. As long-rumoured, it will share its platform with the next-generation Opel/Vauxhall Astra (as well as the next Saturn Ion for the US).
It is scheduled for sale in early 2009; styling studies are said to be under development.

#4 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (McDonald)

you mean "what someone wishes the new VW Scirocco or GTI would look like."
It's just a photoshop (I'm sure you're aware of), and the only similarity I see is the back side windows.

I Saab hatch would be awesome too! But not if it looks like that. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

#5 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (sidewinder)

And, how about this?!:

Quote »
Here's the proof that Audi's RS3 is a racing certainty!

Underneath the touring car-style bodywork of this sporty-looking model sits the running gear of the hottest A3 ever produced.Caught testing close to the manufacturer's headquarters in Ingolstadt, Germany, with virtually no camouflage, the prototype follows recent Audi form by being disguised as a racer.

However, the distinctive single windscreen wiper, quick-release bonnet pins and adjustable front spoiler won't make it on to the production version. These racy additions are simply Audi's attempt to give spy photographers the slip.

As our exclusive picture shows, the much anticipated newcomer will feature a wider track than the standard A3 and has enlarged wheelarches to accommodate the beefier alloys.

The car is being developed by Audi's Sport division - the team responsible for the barnstorming S4 and RS4 - and is scheduled to make its debut in show-rooms late next year.

But while the car's existence is not in doubt, secrecy surrounds the RS3's engine. One option is an uprated version of the Golf R32's V6, which could easily be tuned to give 350bhp. The other alternative Audi has is to modify the 420bhp V8 found in the new RS4. This first glimpse of the RS3 comes just weeks after the maker confirmed that its less powerful stablemate, the S3, will appear before the end of the year.

It will feature a 240bhp version of the firm's 2.0-litre T-FSI turbo engine, and be fitted with quattro four-wheel-drive transmission. Prices for the S3 are set to be around the £30,000 mark; the RS3 will have a £38,000 price tag.

#6 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (Shomare)

The RS3 will never come to North America. But if some magical planetary alignment happened, it would still be drasticaly more expensive than any C30.

#9 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (GrecianVolvo)

Quote »
An army of Rabbits is about to invade our shores and hot on its heels is word from Wolfsburg that the meanest of VW hatches, the R32, is coming back for an encore in fifth gen trim. The previous R32 was available in limited numbers in the U.S. and the new model will likely be capped at 5,000 units, as well. The company's 250-hp 3.2L V6 will power the new R32 and feature 4Motion all-wheel drive and a dual-clutch gearbox (DSG).

While rumors of an R36 are still just rumors, our appetite for a Golf faster than the current GTI can at least be sated in the meantime with the arrival of the R32.

I hope Volvo is paying attention!

#10 ·

Quote, originally posted by Shomare »

I hope Volvo is paying attention!

To what?
VW is de-contenting the Golf/Rabbit for 2007 and dropping prices because they can't sell what they have.
The fact that they have to do this for a vehicle that they have sold here for years is troubling to me and causes further doubt about the viability of the C30 in the US.

#11 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (VolvoMax)

That has more to due with the poop products that VW is making and selling then the viability of hatchback in the United States.

The dealer network / and service department is just as bad as the cars they sell!

Owning a VW was the worst experience I've ever had.

Regardless of VW's woes, they have committed to bringing the R32 to our shores.

As such, if Volvo is serious about the C30, then they should also ensure that they have something to compete with the likes of the R32.

While I'm aware that not everyone wants or needs a hot hatch, failing to offer one as an option lacks insight.

It's an important factor in my decision making.

Modified by Shomare at 11:32 AM 6-26-2006

#12 ·

The hatcback has almost no viability in the US.
VW's issues are just the latest chapter in the saga.
EVERYONE who has sold a hatchback above the $15k pricepoint has failed here.
I am very much afraid that the C30 will fair no better.
As for the R32, Volvo has no interest in competing w/ VW model for model.
If and only if the C30's viability can be proven will you see an effort to expand the lineup.

#13 ·

Then by your account the C30 is sure to fail.

Why would I shell out 25K for one when I can purchase a performance oriented R32 from VW. (not that I ever would buy another VW again!)

I said this in another post but I'll say it again. My "fast" wants to ensure that VW products are a flicker in my rearview mirror.

If the C30 can't set the pace, then it's not something I'm interested in.

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
The hatcback has almost no viability in the US.
VW's issues are just the latest chapter in the saga.
EVERYONE who has sold a hatchback above the $15k pricepoint has failed here.
I am very much afraid that the C30 will fair no better.
As for the R32, Volvo has no interest in competing w/ VW model for model.
If and only if the C30's viability can be proven will you see an effort to expand the lineup.

What about the Mazda3? That can get into the 20's.

#15 ·

Having grown up during the energy crisis of the 70's and watching the set backs that newly imposed emissions standards had on the auto industry it was a breath of fresh air when my father purchase what was to be the first of many Saabs.

That 900 Turbo opened my eyes to what a hatch has to offer as well as what turbo charging can do to a solid 4 cyl.

While the American buying public (in general) is ignorant to the the advantages of hatch ownership there is opportunity for learning given the global climate, the rising cost of gas

Now may the best time ever for Volvo to offer this hatch.

Modified by Shomare at 2:08 PM 6-26-2006

#16 ·
Re: A C30 lookalike, the new VW Scirocco (frankhoffy)

Quote, originally posted by frankhoffy »

What about the Mazda3? That can get into the 20's.

The Mazda 3 Mazdaspeed is going to be a fantastic offering. I don't like the styling of it as much as I like the C30 but if I have to go the Mazda root to ensure that VW's are held at bay, I might be inclined to buy one.

I did see a diffrent front and rear offered by Mazda but they were asking $800 for the front alone.

#18 ·

Having grown up during the energy crisis of the 70's and watching the set backs that newly imposed emissions standards had on the auto industry it was a breath of fresh air when my father purchase what was to be the first of many Saabs.

That 900 Turbo opened my eyes to what a hatch has to offer as well as what turbo charging can do to a solid 4 cyl.

While the American buying public (in general) is ignorant to the the advantages of hatch ownership there is opportunity for learning given the global climate, the rising cost of gas

Now may the best time ever for Volvo to offer this hatch.

Modified by Shomare at 2:08 PM 6-26-2006

How did that work out for SAAB?
Not so well, huh.
They are wards of GM and on the brink of oblivion.

Shomare, put aside your own likes for a moment and look at the numbers.
Every high end hatchback has failed in the US. SAAB 900, BMW 318ti, M-B Compact, Sterling 827. Even modern versions like the Audi A3 and Volvo V50 aren't meeting their goals.
The VW Jetta outsells the Golf/Rabbit in the US.

The only car to buck this trend is the Mini, and it is a unique case.
It came in at a low pricepoint and had alot of buzz associated with it.

Personally, I like the C30. I think it is a neat car. What concerns me is content and price. When I look at a new car, I have to look at who I am going to sell it to, and for how much. Right now, that car is going to be priced in the upper $20's, and without any R version or 260hp engine.
So that leaves out the entry level buyers and the hot rod enthusiasts.
Will someone buy the car? Sure. Some people bought 900's and 318ti's. But will ENOUGH people buy it to ensure profitability?
I'm just not sure of that.
When I see the C30, I see another 480ES. A nice car that wasn't priced well for the American market.

#19 ·
It worked well for Saab well into the 90's GM killed the company. Crushed its soul.

True there are many who don't get the hatch but there are also plenty who do. That's who Volvo needs to sell to.

Most cars sell in the 20's these days. Unless you want an Hyundia or a Kia which is fine if you want a disposable car.

Rumored to have the following engine choices:

Gasoline,
1.6 4 cylinder
2.0 4 cylinder
2.4i 5 cylinder 170 HP
T5 5 cylinder 220 HP

Diesels,
D5 180 HP

It seems as though only the "hot rod" enthusiast have been left out.

The mini is a niche car. An "it" car. It can sustain a certain number of sales on its history alone and there are those who will continue to buy into this history.

Do you remember the 80's when all the Yuppies had to have a BWM? Not that I want to see it because I don't want to see myself coming and going but Volvo should seek to tap into that history / market for this decade.

#20 ·
Re: (Shomare)

NO it DIDN"T work for SAAB.
That is my whole point.
SAAB bet and lost on that car.
SAAB never had the sales and the consequent funding to say abreast of the luxury market.
Hence the deal w/ the devil.

True there are many who don't get the hatch but there are also plenty who do. That's who Volvo needs to sell to.

What, all 5 of them?
Yes, some people will buy anything. But how many cars does that sell?
Volvo needs volume cars, not niche cars. Volvo isn't successful enough for niche products.

Do you remember the 80's when all the Yuppies had to have a BWM? Not that I want to see it because I don't want to see myself coming and going but Volvo should seek to tap into that history / market for this decade.

BMW's marketing was masterful, but they also had PRODUCT to back that marketing up.
Volvo simply can't market itself as the new Ultimate Driving Machine w/out the right product.

#21 ·
Re: (VolvoMax)

I was not implying that the C30 should be a niche car. What I was saying is it should be "The" car in the hatch niche such that if you are interested in a hatch, the C30 should be at the top of your list for consideration.

It wasn't all that long ago that Dudley Moore summed up Volvo's as "boxy yet safe" saying aloud what everyone knew to be true.

I think Volvo has come a long way from those days. To come even further why not offer a hot hatch and push the envelope of what defines a "Volvo".

Why not add "fun to drive" to elegant and safe.

#22 ·

Well, the C30 is a niche car.

Volvo's by definition are cars for family duty. That is what they have been for decades. Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but it is the truth.
122, 144, 244, 744, 840, S70, S80, V70 etc. Volvo's have ALWAYS been about that market and have marketed safety to families.
That s not to say that single people or couples without familes can't buy Volvo's, safety is important to those people also, but Volvo's focus has always been on families and their needs.
Therefore, Volvo's product focus will always be cars that meet the needs of families. Anything else is just to fill a niche.
The C30 is needed in Europe to fill a niche, the inexpensive city car.
In the US this niche doesn't exist. Therefore, hatches have always had to fight an uphill battle here.
IMO, Volvo needs to concentrate on the core of the company. Safe family transport. We have gotten away from promoting Volvo as the safe alternative and have diluted the message w/ "fun to drive" and "elegant".
You can be all things to all people. If you try, pretty soon you are nothing to no one.

#23 ·
Re: (VolvoMax)

Volvo would be wiser to invest more in the XC50. Make it look pretty much exactly like the XC90, only smaller and more affordable, and they'll have a hit.

C30 buyers should have two options: good power with decent fuel economy, or decent power good fuel economy. That's the only way it will be successful.

#24 ·
Re: (frankhoffy)

Quote, originally posted by frankhoffy »
Volvo would be wiser to invest more in the XC50. Make it look pretty much exactly like the XC90, only smaller and more affordable, and they'll have a hit.

C30 buyers should have two options: good power with decent fuel economy, or decent power good fuel economy. That's the only way it will be successful.

I agree. XC50 is more critical for N America.

#26 ·

Sad but true.

Our Fuelish country would rather add another SUV to the highway then add an AWD car.

Actually, for America the XC50 makes more sense than the C30 does.
It can carry more, it can go off road and it is a viable fuel efficent alternative to the typical SUV.
Americans aren't going to give up their SUV's for micro cars. They will however, trade them for a better alternative SUV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.