SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Cold air intake?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
Hey, Ive been trying for ages to find instructions on building a cold air intake for a 93' 940. Obviously, I havent been able to find any, or even any manufactured kits for that matter. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could inform me if they know of either of these.

I also tracked the stock intake to its opening, which faces backwards towards the radiator. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me if I could save some money and get the same results as a kit by cutting the stock piece and rotating it so it faced outward, possibly even replace it with a larger opening.

Thanks,
Ethan

#2 ·
Re: Cold air intake? (daytripper)

Good day, Ethan.

My favorite place in Georgia - you lucky man.

Rather than mess up the intake on your 940 just visit the Swedespeed

Search page at

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerosearch

In the Search For window enter... intake

Green dots on... Archived content and Post Bodies

Drop down Forum to... 240

Leave Creator blank

Click... Next

WHALLA!

Rather than scroll, the lenghty results can be search through by using the edit... find on this page... search for... with INTAKE the search word.

I (and others) have posted this air box/mass air meter mod on Swedespeed boocoo times/places so results may vary...

The main issue is be be very sure that the entire intake system has NO LEAKS..

Enjoy!

George Dill

#4 ·
Re: (daytripper)

Yes - same B230F engine.

You show no turbo - yes?

If not already, visit here and click around on the Volvo stuff for your car...

http://www.ipdusa.com/products...D=629

The K&N filter is a good start - disregard reports of problems with this product - just don't over-oil when servicing.

No need to alter the fresh air snorkel at the edge of the radiator as the rerouted hot air duct will supply fresh air in addition to the snorkel. When modifying the fresh air box save all the original pieces. This is a good time to clean the throttle body and service the flame trap.

Once more, be absolutely certain of NO AIR LEAKS in the entire intake system. Check the flexible accordion duct (hose) from the mass air meter to the throtle body by bending it to and fro looking for cracks and pin holes. Notice how this hose may rub on underhood components causing thin spots in the hose wall. If you remove the mass air meter screens avoid touching the meter's sensor wire(s) and be sure the electrical connections are clean and secure.

Check the cat for unobstructed flow and be sure Ox and other sensors are properly functioning.

Read much more at

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/

and return here with updates on your Volvo adventures.

George Dill

#5 ·
Yeah, no turbo. Ive done the airbox mod and that really seems to help, thanks for the advice.

Just one question though, I read in one of the threads that there may be some extra wear because there is no pre heat from the exaust manifold, but being that I live in a relatively warm area, and that the coldest it got this winter was about 50 degrees, would this be a factor?

Modified by daytripper at 12:07 PM 6-11-2006

#6 ·
Re: (daytripper)

The pre-heat is more for smog control than longivity and at 50F the "colder" air in the fuel mix will improve combustion at no measurable cost to cylinder life. This assuming ALL systems are in working order.

The mass air meter will compensate for changes in air density and flow and this is where the mods bring the best performance gains. If you plan to go all out with a hot cam/adjustable gear setup then consider a larger throttle body (much lower MPG).

George Dill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.