1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Elwood 
#1 ·
Greetings and Merry Christmas!

I don't currently own a Volvo, but have had a few in the past. They include:

544 (2)
122S (2)
123GT
145S

I'm shopping for a RWD Volvo wagon and am thinking about either a 940 Turbo or a 960. Is there anything anyone can say in favor of one or the other? Is the 940 Turbo more of a performance type vehicle? Is it quicker than the 960?

TIA!

#2 ·
Re: Looking for a Wagon (Elwood)

Define Quicker?

I have driven a 960 for about 2 years now and think it is a great car. Mine has 149k+ miles on it and it is built rock solid (though the tranny might be going). I would say that the 940 Turbo would be faster 0-60 than the 960 because of the turbo. Basically, my old 92" 960 is slow (when compared to some of my friends cars (S4, WRX...). If you are going to do anything, I would get a 960 and drop the Supra engine in it! :D All kidding aside, the 960 motor is great, but unless you do major modifications, the car is just plain slow.

#4 ·
Re: Looking for a Wagon (Elwood)

I would choose a '93-'95 940 Turbo over the 960/90 series any day of the week. The B230FT engine from '90-'95 used a small Mitsubishi TD04-13C turbo on a high flowing exhaust manifold, so the car has very little lag and it's quicker to 60mph than previous Turbo models. The '90-'95 engines used thicker connecting rods than previous B230FT engines, and in '93 they added oil cooling to the under side of the pistons which helps fight detonation and lets it run a little cooler. The '95 engines are the best because the block is "reinforced" and deemed stronger than previous years, but really the '93-'95 are the best, followed by the '90-'91. (I should mention that it is possible to find a '90+ B230FT engine with an equally small Garrett T25 turbo)

For very little money you can increase the boost slightly with a manual boost controller and add more power and torque on top of the 162hp/188ft-lbs. on the stock 940 Turbo. There is no simple or inexpensive power adding mod on the 960. Add a 3" exhaust and a little more boost, and the 940T will smoke the 960. With a cam, exhaust, and more boost, the 940 Turbo can reach mid 14's in the 1/4 mile. Best I've seen lately is 14.22, but he may have had an upgraded/larger turbo for that run.

The AW71 3spd+OD trans in the 940 Turbo is the same robust, bullet proof trans used in all the Turbo models dating back to '81. They don't break too often unless the engine is putting out much more HP than stock, and they're cheap to replace with a used one.

The reputation of the 960 is not great, and the chance of getting a bad 960 is what I would be concerned with. However, many people have wonderful 960's which they love for the luxurious interior and smooth power. If you religiously maintain the 960, it should be good to you. But don't buy one with an unknown history if you can avoid it, and never let the timing belt go longer than 30K miles because a broken belt will hurt your engine and your wallet.

#6 ·
Re: Looking for a Wagon (Turbo16psi)

Thanks for all the good info. So if I want a manual tranny, I pretty much have to get a 740?

Edit: Nevermind. I just bought a Saab turbo. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

[Modified by Elwood, 1:29 AM 1-2-2003]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.