SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Additional amp for hu-613

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kkulff 
#1 ·
Additional amp for hu-603

All,

I'm interested in improving the quality of sound from my hu-603. I've changed the hidden equalizer settings. I interested in the possibility of adding an additional volvo amp. I believe that it fits under the passenger seat. The question is, how hard is the installation? Is the car (s80) prewired, will I need a software download to get it to work?

TIA
Dave

[Modified by dmarcus591, 8:10 PM 2-20-2003]

[Modified by dmarcus591, 10:24 PM 2-20-2003]

#2 ·
Re: Additional amp for hu-603 (dmarcus591)

quote:

I interested in the possibility of adding an additional volvo amp. I believe that it fits under the passenger seat. The question is, how hard is the installation? Is the car (s80) prewired, will I need a software download to get it to work?
There is no prewiring but the amplifier kit comes with all necessary wiring. No software upgrade is necessary, I think, but you better check with your Volvo dealer. I know that the radio can determine if there is an amp present in the system for diagnosis purposes.

A bigger problem to ponder is what to do with the speakers. The ones you have in your car are matched to the power amplifier that is integrated in your radio. If you add an external amp you also increase the power fed to the speakers. For the external amp there is also a set of matched speakers that will handle the power fed from the amp.

So if you add an amp but keep the speakers you can, at least long-term, damage your speakers. If you choose to also upgrade the speakers you will get sufficient power handling but also a better sound quality since the high performance speakers that go with the external amp are better speakers.

#4 ·
Re: Additional amp for hu-603 (Audioguy)

I added the 4 x 50 watt amp and installed the loudspeaker kits in all doors and "D" pillar in my V70 and the sound is awesome. I later added the subwoofer and get fantastic sound. No download was required.

As Audioguy points out, the amp will eventually wear out your stock speakers that are configured to work with the head unit without the accessory amp attached.

You can get the loudspeaker kits online for 1/3 less than the dealership. It's worth it!

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.