SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Drove an S80 T6

11K views 90 replies 23 participants last post by  njb8199 
#1 ·
I finally got behind the wheel of our demo S80 T6...wow...what a difference from the 3.2 especially in the way the transmission shifts!!! No hesitation (at any speed), immediate acceleration and absolutely no lag! I have never driven a turbo car that exhibits zero lag!

Even my demo, a manual transmission V50 AWD, has a tiny bit of lag. The T6 does not!

One of the smoothest engines EVER! Like silk. Imagine the old T6 but much more refined, even less noise from the engine and absolutely LOADS of torque available right away.

I really liked it!

Yannis

#4 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (KeystoneVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by KeystoneVolvo »
I finally got behind the wheel of our demo S80 T6...

...and you didn't tell me?????
( I'll be there tomorrow, you can give me the keys, hrumph)

#8 ·

I finally got behind the wheel of our demo S80 T6...wow...what a difference from the 3.2 especially in the way the transmission shifts!!! No hesitation (at any speed), immediate acceleration and absolutely no lag! I have never driven a turbo car that exhibits zero lag!

Even my demo, a manual transmission V50 AWD, has a tiny bit of lag. The T6 does not!

One of the smoothest engines EVER! Like silk. Imagine the old T6 but much more refined, even less noise from the engine and absolutely LOADS of torque available right away.

I really liked it!

Yannis

Okay. But, what we really want to know is how does it compare with the MBs you used to sell?!

regards,
MAJ

#9 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (digital_dreamer)

Quote, originally posted by digital_dreamer »

Okay. But, what we really want to know is how does it compare with the MBs you used to sell?!

regards,
MAJ

That is a pretty vague question; which MB do you want me to compare this car to? Logically, it should be compared to the E-class. In that model, there are three cars (well, four if you consider the E320 CDI Bluetec but that was not available in California); E350, E550 and E63. We will eliminate the E63 because it is a unique vehicle and not too many sedans can hold a candle to it, from any brand, period.

E350 can only be compared because of price; a typical E350 (w/ P1 package and the no-charge Sport package, non-metallic paint) has an MSRP of $53,650, if I recall correctly.

As far as exterior design is concerned, I think the E-class is one of the most attractive and elegant cars around. Interior design is fine although it is really showing its age. The S80's exterior is not very distinctive but if you have the car with the 17" CANICULA alloys or with the Sport package, then it becomes more attractive.

The E-class seems slightly roomier in the rear seat area. The trunk is also large but not sure if it is larger than the S80 T6's. Folding rear seats are an option with the MB (go figure) while they are standard in the S80. The interior of the S80 T6 is a notch higher, period. More progressive and more functional. Although I do like the unique coin holder od the E-class. The MB's Navigation screen (a.k.a. COMAND) is just old and tired. Volvo's Nav system is much easier to use and more detailed. The S80's seats are more comfortable, too, although the MB's seats extend (below the legs) a little longer than those of the S80 which is handy for a taller person.

Engine wise, the E350 has a very powerful engine. My butt dyno thinks the S80 T6 is a tad quicker than the E350. The E350 has a wonderful 7-speed automatic transmission that shifts gears without you knowing (most of the times). I have not driven the S80 T6 enough to draw final conclusions but my brief experience gave me a feeling of confidence in the way the 6-speed transmission behaved vs. what I have experienced in the S80 3.2.

Audiowise, there is no comparison; Volvo's systems are better.

Both cars are extremely quiet and very comfortable on the highway. MB has certain features that are very nice and I would love to see on a Volvo; panoramic sunroof (amazing feature), power rear sunshade and cross-drilled front rotors. Another nice feature is that the dome light assembly and the power sunroof switches are surrounded by lights that are ambient. You can set the level of brightness from 1 (dimmest) to 5 (brightest although even at that level it does not interfere with driving). It is nice to have them on while you are driving in the dark.

I like he fact that the E350 (when equipped with the Sport package) has rear wheels that are wider than the front wheels. The car does have improved stability. Also, the dual exhaust tips are much nicer (true ovals and big) than those in the S80 T6 and S80 V8 (flattened ovals that look cheap and very domestic).

I like that, in the S80 T6, you can have heated and ventilated seats and not have to order the V8 in order to get them (in the E-class, you have to have the E550, at $62K or higher). I also like that the S80 T6 has gotten some of the features founded in the S80 V8 (electronic park brake, dual exhaust tips, etc.).

Finally, I thought that MB's Keyless Go system was nice. Until I experienced Volvo's PCC. PCC is, hands down, the better system. Only the more expensive MBs (S-class and CLs) have as good and fast reacting system. The other MBs use a more antiquated technology.

Oh, I would REALLY love to see Volvo incorporate this feature that all MBs have (regardless of cost); push the unlock button on the remote control and if you hold it the windows go down and the sunroof opens up. It is HUGE on a hot day. Conversely, push the lock button and hold it and everything closes up! It is a GREAT feature.

Overall, I think that the S80 T6 is a HUGE bargain priced in the mid-$40Ks.

Yannis

Modified by KeystoneVolvo at 1:10 PM 7-5-2007

#10 ·

Yannis:

How much faster do you think the S80 V8 is/feels than its brethren T6. Is it too close of a call?

#11 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (napster)

Quote, originally posted by napster »
Yannis:

How much faster do you think the S80 V8 is/feels than its brethren T6. Is it too close of a call?

Good question. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif More than speed, how is it acceleration wise?

#12 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (napster)

Quote, originally posted by napster »
Yannis:

Definitely too close to call. I think the S80 T6 accelerates at least equally to the V8's acceleration from 0 to let's say 40mph. I bet the specs show a 0-60 difference at about a tenth or two tenths of a second.

I really like this set up. I cannot wait to have it in the new XC70; it will definitely elevate the Cross Country brand in the performance world.

Yannis

#13 ·

You haven't driven the BMW 335i, obviously. That is zero lag! And even more power than the Volvo. And the torque is listed at 300 ft.-lbs., but most reviewers are agreeing that is it likely in the 325+ range in reality (same as Volvo V8, but at 1300 rpm instead of whatever the V8 peaks at).

All Volvo needed to do was match the BMW power and torque specs and bump up the V8 to a significant enough increase that it would be worth paying extra to the T6 and they'd be all set. Instead, we have the same V8 and a T6 that is 98% of the V8.

Question: smoother than the (non-traditional Yamaha) V8? Quieter than the V8 in the S80? If so, no wonder Volvo expects the majority of the sales to be the T6.

#14 ·

the main negative regarding the E class - the sensotronic braking system. its a complicated mess, MB is dropping it.

the rear leg room number on the E is 35.6, on the S80 its 35. How much roomier does the rear seat feel on the E class then the S80? The E does have more rear hip room however.

#15 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (Marc R Collins)

Quote, originally posted by Marc R Collins »

You haven't driven the BMW 335i, obviously. That is zero lag! And even more power than the Volvo. And the torque is listed at 300 ft.-lbs., but most reviewers are agreeing that is it likely in the 325+ range in reality (same as Volvo V8, but at 1300 rpm instead of whatever the V8 peaks at).

Cannot compare the 335 with the S80 T6. Two different cars. Let's compare the 535xi against the T6. Yes, the 535xi is quicker. But it is MUCH more expensive and gets worse gas mileage. By the way, I just saw this: the 535's F/R weight distribution is 55/45. What has happened to the infamous "perfectly balanced" cars?

Quote »
All Volvo needed to do was match the BMW power and torque specs and bump up the V8 to a significant enough increase that it would be worth paying extra to the T6 and they'd be all set. Instead, we have the same V8 and a T6 that is 98% of the V8.

And the V8 is very close to the 535xi. Still, about the same price. So, do you want a V8 or a 6-cyl.?

Quote »
Question: smoother than the (non-traditional Yamaha) V8? Quieter than the V8 in the S80?

Quieter than the V8???? Are you kidding? It's like night and day. Smoother? Absolutely. This T6 reminds me (ironically) of BMW's I-6 330/530 engine. One of the smoothest powerplants.

Quote »
If so, no wonder Volvo expects the majority of the sales to be the T6.

I am telling you; I really believe that the S80 T6 is the REAL deal. If I were buying an S80 for myself or my family, I would forgo the V8 for the T6.

Yannis

#16 ·

Yannis;

As a previous S80 T6 owner (disclaimer here-- I know that the P1 and P2 T6 engines are COMPLETELY different from one another) however, the thought of "T6" is just enough to make me shudder....... and many, many, many previous S80 T6 owners.

As a matter of fact, I bought my 2002.5 S80 T6 from Keystone. E-mail me and I will give you the VIN number and you will see all the work that Keystone's service department did to the car and I will gladly fax you the $11,000 worth of service records that were performed between 05/06 to 05/07.

Personally, for me; I'd consider the V8 before even going near the T6.

It'd take a lot than just the price to persuade me.

#17 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (njb8199)

All those problems were with the twin turbo engine as opposed to the rest of the old S80?--a well known unreliable car all around.

The new S80 doesn't share any parts with the previous gen as far as I know...engines and otherwise.

Yannis--night and day as in the T6 is quieter by a wide margin? We were told by Volvo this engine would be incredibly smooth and quiet, but considering the source, I wasn't holding my breath

As for the BMW, I am referring to the engine only. The new 335i has almost identical gearing to my '06 V70R, isn't much lighter and has identical power and torque ratings (on paper). You couldn't get a more night and day comparison between two engines than the 2.5 I5 R and the 3.0 I6 twin turbo. The driveability is also like night and day.

Power delivery: BMW 10/10 (ZERO turbo lag and V8 torque available down low and it doesnt start to give up until 6,000+ rpm); Volvo 5/10 (significant turbo lag)
Smoothness: BMW 9/10; Volvo 4/10 (idle kills the I5)
Quietness: BMW 9/10 (noisy at idle, silky smooth and quiet at all other times...odd, yes); Volvo 6/10
Fuel efficiency: ??? but I would be shocked if the 3.0 was worse than the 2.5 in real world

#18 ·

Quote, originally posted by njb8199 »
Yannis;

As a previous S80 T6 owner (disclaimer here-- I know that the P1 and P2 T6 engines are COMPLETELY different from one another) however, the thought of "T6" is just enough to make me shudder....... and many, many, many previous S80 T6 owners.

AFAIK there most likely never was any P1 platform T6 model as the P1 platform spawns forth the current S40/V50/C70 which are considerably smaller than a Mk. I S80 or XC90--especially wrt. to the width of the engine bay.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, most of the old twin-turbo T6 problems weren't as much engine related as they were transaxle related. With the old T6 engine being physically freaking long and with it sitting in the engine bay sideways there really isn't much extra space available for just any high torque-friendly *and* compact transaxle.

#19 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (Marc R Collins)

Quote, originally posted by Marc R Collins »
All those problems were with the twin turbo engine as opposed to the rest of the old S80?--a well known unreliable car all around.

Well, that car became extremely reliable from MY05 and on. Obviously, it was too late as it has cost Volvo a ton of money in repairs and lost sales.

Quote »
The new S80 doesn't share any parts with the previous gen as far as I know...engines and otherwise.

Correct.

Quote »
Yannis--night and day as in the T6 is quieter by a wide margin? We were told by Volvo this engine would be incredibly smooth and quiet, but considering the source, I wasn't holding my breath

Yes, this car is ultra quiet compared to the V8. I was very surprised.

Yannis

#20 ·

Well, that car became extremely reliable from MY05 and on. Obviously, it was too late as it has cost Volvo a ton of money in repairs and lost sales.

C'mon folks, step right up to be the first year guinea pig for the new T6. Volvo needs you.

#21 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

C'mon folks, step right up to be the first year guinea pig for the new T6. Volvo needs you.
Now stop that...
we were both Guinea pigs for the P2 Rs in 2004 and I dont have any regrets.

#22 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (bschurr)

Quote, originally posted by bschurr »
Now stop that...
we were both Guinea pigs for the P2 Rs in 2004 and I dont have any regrets.

But the R was not a "new" model nor was the engine "new". You get both with the S80 T6.

#23 ·

Quote, originally posted by njb8199 »
Yannis;

As a matter of fact, I bought my 2002.5 S80 T6 from Keystone. E-mail me and I will give you the VIN number and you will see all the work that Keystone's service department did to the car and I will gladly fax you the $11,000 worth of service records that were performed between 05/06 to 05/07.

Personally, for me; I'd consider the V8 before even going near the T6.

It'd take a lot than just the price to persuade me.

Nick,

I can appreciate your disdain for another S80 T6 but they are two different cars...nothing in common.

I am sorry to see that you spend a considerable amount of time and money (if the repairs were not covered by warranty).

Still, personally, I would go with the T6 since I know that the current model is very different than the previous model. Last, the previous model debuted as a brand new set up (all around) whereas this car has borrowed technology from previous model years; hence, I feel much more comfortable in its future. The car has done very well in the JD Power and Associates IQS and that is a good sign.

Yannis

#26 ·
Re: Drove an S80 T6 (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

Always a cheery attitude from Neil.

he just loves his R soooo much. lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.