SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Engine Repair Gone Bad

772 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DragginWagon 
#1 ·
I have an '88 740 Turbo with 225k miles. Recently had a head gasket replacement job done and the mechanic failed to notice broken manifold bolts when he reassembled the engine. Couldn't tighten the manifold tight enough to seal exhaust leaks so I was faced with having to repair the head or replace it. Chose to replace it with a low mileage, newer technology head from a '94 Turbo I found on the Turbobricks classified site.

Mechanic indicated that following installation the car idled just fine for about 10-15 minutes. However, it locked up within 3 miles of the repair shop in moderate (slow) driving conditions. Towed back to shop and found that the timing belt had stripped some of the gears/teeth and the head was locked up tight. He also stated that oil pump appears to be fine and that oil pressure doesn't appear to have been a problem.

What could have happened? I've got a major repair bill already and may be still looking at yet another head replacement.

Help!!!!!

#2 ·
Re: Engine Repair Gone Bad (alvinc)

Any mechanic who would replace a head without using a new ($10) timing belt should not be given any more work.
Are there any other Volvos on his lot?
Does he come with recommendations?
Sorry to hear the story. I hope you find another good head, and another good installer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.