SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

ACC , Adaptive Cruise Control

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  ayman 
#1 ·
Just need more explanations about the way it works. Will it stop the car COMPLETELY if the vehicle infront stops , either slowly or suddenly? How does it work exactly.
Thanks.

#2 ·
It will match the speed of the vehicle in front of you, even if they apply brakes with a lot of force. But, not to a complete stop. The collision warning light will flash and beep if the system determines that it needs your input. It works really well.

#3 ·
Re: (KLowD9x)

Quote, originally posted by KLowD9x »
It will match the speed of the vehicle in front of you, even if they apply brakes with a lot of force. But, not to a complete stop. The collision warning light will flash and beep if the system determines that it needs your input. It works really well.

Really would like to know more here, including with the speed progress. say your chasing a vehicle on 60 k/h 2 secoinds set on the ACC, the vehicle in front :
1-stopping gradually on a red light, how would the volvo act assuming the new ACC and CWAB+ City safety fitted( XC60 I'm hoping).
2- suddenly stops.
3- or a little boy crossing the road running after his ball infront of your car.

Many thanks ,

#4 ·
Re: (ayman)

Quote, originally posted by ayman »

Really would like to know more here, including with the speed progress. say your chasing a vehicle on 60 k/h 2 secoinds set on the ACC, the vehicle in front :
1-stopping gradually on a red light, how would the volvo act assuming the new ACC and CWAB+ City safety fitted( XC60 I'm hoping).
2- suddenly stops.
3- or a little boy crossing the road running after his ball infront of your car.

Many thanks ,

This isn't auto pilot :p You must pay attention to the road, this just allows you to divert attention away from maintaining speed and put that attention to not hitting poop in your way.

1. Stopping gradually the car will apply brakes down to about 10MPH then the collision warning light will flash and the warning tone sounds off. Autobrake is only for use in emergency situations and I am sure Volvo doesn't want you using that to stop the car for you. Not to mention, cruise is automatically disabled when you apply the brakes.

2. The new cruise system can apply the brakes with a very good amount of force. Enough to make you lurch forward in your seat. But if the vehicle ahead brakes at a rate greater than what the car can apply, the collision warning light flashes and the alarm sounds again so you will give input.

3. Don't even try this one out. Just hit the brake like normal and try not to kill someones child.

I have tested this system in many different environments. Once the desired speed is selected, the vehicle will maintain that speed until another vehicle is in your lane. It will match speeds with that vehicle and maintain a quickly adjustable distance between you and the other vehicle. I REALLY like having the system on the cars I drive and I wish my S60 could be retrofitted with it.

#5 ·

There was an article I read the other day in AMS, testing the ACC systems of Jag, MB and bmw. They said the systems were mostly either slow to react, and come too close to the car in front (someitmes even dangerously), and when the brakes are applied they are applied very abruptly, and finally the car is slow to reach the previously selected speed once the car in front accelerates.

What is your experience with Volvo's ACC??

#6 ·
Re: (volvocu)

Quote, originally posted by volvocu »
There was an article I read the other day in AMS, testing the ACC systems of Jag, MB and bmw. They said the systems were mostly either slow to react, and come too close to the car in front (someitmes even dangerously), and when the brakes are applied they are applied very abruptly, and finally the car is slow to reach the previously selected speed once the car in front accelerates.

What is your experience with Volvo's ACC??

The Volvo system is very well done. As soon as the car ahead brakes, the Volvo will apply brakes at an almost exactly even rate. Now, if the car ahead slams on the brakes, the system can only do so much, but you will be alerted to intervene.

Acceleration back up to selected speed is actually faster than what I would like, but it does it well. Not horribly fast, but it definitely doesn't waste any time getting back up to speed.

#7 ·

3. Don't even try this one out. Just hit the brake like normal and try not to kill someones child.

What I need to know if the radar and the camera can spot pedestrians?, How "SAFE" is this system to rely on. Because if it will only spots cars I don't want it to operate my car. Another thing , does it see speed bumps for instance,
Thanks Eric for your reply.

Modified by ayman at 5:48 PM 4-26-2008

#8 ·

What I need to know if the radar and the camera can spot pedestrians?, How "SAFE" is this system to rely on. Because if it will only spot cars I don't want it to operate my car. Another thing , does it see speed bumps for instant,

My understanding about auto brake is that it will only recognize cars. I'm not sure it will even stop automatically for a motorcycle.

But, I'm not sure you understand the system. It does not operate your car all of the time. It is a helper. It watches what you do and if, for some reason, you take your attention away from the road and don't see the people stopped ahead of you, it will intervene at the last possible moment, and only the last possible moment, to prevent a wreck. Not exactly something I would recommend you try out.

#9 ·

What I need to know if the radar and the camera can spot pedestrians?, How "SAFE" is this system to rely on. Because if it will only spots cars I don't want it to operate my car. Another thing , does it see speed bumps for instance,

Modified by ayman at 5:48 PM 4-26-2008

Volvo is working on a system that can detect pedestrians and other objects; later down the road the car will steer itself out of the situation!

#10 ·
Re: (volvocu)

So once you hit the brakes, the ACC is turned off. If you are still coasting after tapping the brakes, you have to remember that it's no longer on if you've been relying on it for distance control. Assuming this case, will the brake assist still operate despite the ACC being shut off?

One thing I would miss is the button "0" to shut off the cruise (with the system maintaining my previous set point). I like to use it when approaching cops to start slowing down without attracting attention with my brake lights.

#11 ·
Re: (Freeworld)

Quote, originally posted by Freeworld »
So once you hit the brakes, the ACC is turned off. If you are still coasting after tapping the brakes, you have to remember that it's no longer on if you've been relying on it for distance control. Assuming this case, will the brake assist still operate despite the ACC being shut off?

One thing I would miss is the button "0" to shut off the cruise (with the system maintaining my previous set point). I like to use it when approaching cops to start slowing down without attracting attention with my brake lights.

Automatic braking (the kind used when cruise control is on, not the collision avoidance brake system) will no longer function and you will be required to apply the brakes.

The "O" button is still there. It still remembers your preset speed (displayed on the DIM, adjuststable in increments using the + and - buttons, which is VERY nice to see what speed the cruise control is trying to maintain) until you press the "restart" button (arrow going around in a circle).

#12 ·

Automatic braking (the kind used when cruise control is on, not the collision avoidance brake system) will no longer function and you will be required to apply the brakes.

The "O" button is still there. It still remembers your preset speed (displayed on the DIM, adjuststable in increments using the + and - buttons, which is VERY nice to see what speed the cruise control is trying to maintain) until you press the "restart" button (arrow going around in a circle).

I guess that makes it all the more important to pay attention if you've disengaged ACC by taping the brakes, since the next time the system will intervene it will be for an imminent collision

I did not see the "O" button on the ACC system. I thought that was replaced by the buttons that allow you to increase or narrow the gap.

#13 ·
The fact that the ACC will let go at 30k/h freaks me out! How does it alert you that this has happened???? Ayyymaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan,, Waaake Up Noooowww??
I've been surfing the net for Audi, MB and BMW stop and go ACC, it looks cool. The CWAB and CitySafety is a big advantage but they should really make the ACC like the others.
I think the new passat CC will have it as well.

#14 ·

The fact that the ACC will let go at 30k/h freaks me out! How does it alert you that this has happened????

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING, "ACC DEACTIVATED"

But, It doesn't shut off at 30km/h. On the S80 V8 I'm driving right now, the ACC deactivites at 20km/h....

#15 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »

But, It doesn't shut off at 30km/h. On the S80 V8 I'm driving right now, the ACC deactivites at 20km/h....
as long as I don't find myself stuck into a police car rear

#16 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »

At below 20km/h wouldn't the CWAB system kick in to prevent you from hitting the car ahead if you haven't been paying attention? I guess the real answer is that you can't just go to sleep

#17 ·
Re: (Freeworld)

Quote, originally posted by Freeworld »

At below 20km/h wouldn't the CWAB system kick in to prevent you from hitting the car ahead if you haven't been paying attention? I guess the real answer is that you can't just go to sleep
Just to add to the confusion:), the CWAB works at speed above 30k/h. Now, the CitySafety of the new XC60 will stop the car completely at speed <16k/h, or possibly at speed <30k/h.
In other words: DON"T LET GO THE BRAKES

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.