SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Source for paint??

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  slrising 
#1 ·
Looking for advice on what the best source is for spray paint to match our cars? will be looking to prime and paint a body kit soon and those little 6 oz cans from volvo @ $40 will cost me a fortune.........
BTW - my color is Flint Grey (or is it Gray?)

#3 ·
Buy the paint from TCP Global, enter make, year, color number or name of color, very reasonable prices. I buy stuff from them all the time, 3-4 basecoats, wet sand 1200,two clearcoats, no sanding in between the clear, if you screw it up, cut and polish, parts are small, and all can be hung, not hard.

#4 ·
Come out to Seattle I'll paint your body kit for a case of beer on a Saturday. It's about a 4 beer job, lol.

#5 ·
I wish I didnt live Allllllllll the way across the country or I would take you up on this!!!!
I will check out tcp global...

#6 ·
Have heard it from multiple painters they can paint in a garage just as well as in a booth. With good prep work and quality supplies should be able to get it done yourself and looking pretty good. For a first time painter I always say less is more. Lot of people try to go super heavy on the paint all right at first and get a lot of peel which then has to be cut and buffed out.

#8 ·
Haha I saw you lived in NJ, but I'd still make the offer if you were here in Seattle, when your done with your "waiting to install" list our cars will have very similiar mods, both V50's. I'd be curious to see how our cars stacked up against one another. It wouldn't be fair in a couple mos., George @ VIVA informs me my K16 will be here mid July. BTW, I have a spray booth, equipped with sprinklers, and 98% capture rate filtering. Plus very good pressure feed LVLP's, minimal overspray yet still excellent atomization. (I am required to use compliant spray equipment, but I wish I'd switched years ago, the cost savings are quite good and the finished product is just as good as the conventional equipment I used for years) One word of caution, make sure if you decide to do it yourself, protect yourself, wear an organic respirator, vent the fumes safely, and the material chemically degrades into some pretty bad stuff as it dries, so don't stand around watching it dry. I've painted more than one car in a garage(a long time ago) the biggest problem you'll have is getting debris in the finish coats, or the gun you use won't atomize properly, and it will look like orange peel, not a huge deal,thin it a little more, or just cut and polish after your done, quite labor intensive, but not rocket science. My company finishes high end furniture and tenant improvements for offices, banks, and residential kitchens, etc. We don't paint cars, but cars are actually a lot faster and easier than furniture, same mechanics, just faster drying and actually a lot easier to repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.