Best tires for Minnesota Weather
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Best tires for Minnesota Weather

Hello,

I have the Z rated Pirellis on my 2007 V8 AWD S80 right now for the summer, but want to switch to a good tire for Minnesota weather when it gets cold, snowy, and icy. What do you guys recommend? Should I invest in strictly snow tires or go with an All Season? If snow tires are the way to go, when should I put them on? I live in the Twin Cities Metro area. I really don't like the Pirellis as they are very loud on our roads here. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the Pirellis all together if there is a really good year round tire out there that works great for my car.

Thanks!

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (solyvive)

There are plenty of really good year round tires. It all depends on whether you want to be switching tires two or more times a year, and whether you can stand having to do it on short notice when that freak spring snow storm hits. It also depends on whether or not you HAVE to go out in the snow, or you are one of the people who can wait until the streets are cleared. If you are the former, then you may benefit from dedicated snows since they will always be better in deeper snow conditions. In MN I would guess that your "summer" tires are only good for about two months a year

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (Freeworld)

I would like a good pair of all seasons. what do you recommend for my S80?

I have Pirrelli P6 A/S tires on my S80, but that's just because they came with them. You can go high-end (Michellin) and won't go wrong, but some of the best tires out there for the money are Toyo's and Yokahama's. I believe their A/S tires are the Proxes, and V4S respectively, but you'll need to check with your tire dealer on models vs. sizing.

Quote, originally posted by Freeworld »
      I have Pirrelli P6 A/S tires on my S80, but that's just because they came with them. You can go high-end (Michellin) and won't go wrong, but some of the best tires out there for the money are Toyo's and Yokahama's. I believe their A/S tires are the Proxes, and V4S respectively, but you'll need to check with your tire dealer on models vs. sizing.

I will vouch for the Toyo Proxes4. I had them on my V70 T5 for about 34,000 trouble free miles. Nice tire in the rain, quiet, handled well.

I also love my current tires; Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. They are all-season and "W" rated! VERY quiet tire, does well in the rain and I have already driven them 12,000 miles (got them when I was in San Diego); the wear has been minimal although I am a stickler with the tire pressure and adjust each tire's pressure every 15 days.

I highily recommend them.

Yannis

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (KeystoneVolvo)

Great. Thank you both for the information.

Look at Tire Rack. They have customers rate tires based upon actual usage. I usually through out the really good reviews and the really bad ones and try to find some level of continuity between reviews.

Given that you are in the twin cities, I would look at dedicated snows (Bridgestone, Dunlap, Nokain, Vredestein, etc).

2001 S60 2.4t Ash Gold/Charcoal, 183,000+ miles and going strong.

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (EBender1965)

Quote, originally posted by EBender1965 »
      Look at Tire Rack. They have customers rate tires based upon actual usage. I usually through out the really good reviews and the really bad ones and try to find some level of continuity between reviews.

That can be good but also a pretty subjective way. Based on THEIR reviews, I bought (a few years ago) the SUMITOMO all season tires; at that time, it was the #2 ranked tire and they totally sucked. I had to throw them away after just 5,000 miles (and Tire Rack would not do anything about the tires being crappy so no more Tire Rack for me).

Yannis

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (KeystoneVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by KeystoneVolvo »

That can be good but also a pretty subjective way. Based on THEIR reviews, I bought (a few years ago) the SUMITOMO all season tires; at that time, it was the #2 ranked tire and they totally sucked. I had to throw them away after just 5,000 miles (and Tire Rack would not do anything about the tires being crappy so no more Tire Rack for me).

Yannis

Agreed.

And who wants to find a shop to mount tires you purchased on the net? Some shops won't even work that way. And how are you going to get 4 18" tires in your car? Put them on the back seat of your new S80???

And how are you going to get 4 18" tires in your car? Put them on the back seat of your new S80???

Place two in the trunk, fold the rear seats down and stick the other two through!

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E, Crystal White Pearl w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/Platinum/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR

Agreed.

And who wants to find a shop to mount tires you purchased on the net? Some shops won't even work that way. And how are you going to get 4 18" tires in your car? Put them on the back seat of your new S80???

TireRack can ship them directly to your preferred shop. I had done it once.

'11 BMW 535i, Alpine White
      '10 Volvo XC90 R-Design, Passion Red

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (zamo)

Quote, originally posted by zamo »

TireRack can ship them directly to your preferred shop. I had done it once.

Shops probably love that. Take away all their product profit and I wonder how much they'll charge you on installation...?

I would recommend buying winter tires/wheels and doing the swap with the summer tires before and after winter each year. Snow tires are WAY nicer in winter than any all season.

In MN I would guess that your "summer" tires are only good for about two months a year

I run my summer tires usually March 1 through November 1 most years just fine.

I've been able to fit FIVE wheels and tires in the trunk/rear seat area of my S60 easily. The S80 should be even easier for this task.

2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (Warpedcow)

In Minnesota the only four season tire is a winter tire. For winter tires drop down an inch on the rims, 10 points on the width, and keep the same height.

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (Warpedcow)

Quote, originally posted by Warpedcow »

I've been able to fit FIVE wheels and tires in the trunk/rear seat area of my S60 easily. The S80 should be even easier for this task.

Maybe with 15's, but I doubt with 18's.

Re: Best tires for Minnesota Weather (sony2000)

I am not a tire person. I have the 245/40 R18 Pirellis so what would the NEW specs be according to you? I don't know which is height, width, etc. Thanks for the help. I really think I am going to go with the Blizzaks as that seems to go well with our Volvos. Thanks for the tip in advance.

Quote, originally posted by solyvive »
      I am not a tire person. I have the 245/40 R18 Pirellis so what would the NEW specs be according to you? I don't know which is height, width, etc. Thanks for the help. I really think I am going to go with the Blizzaks as that seems to go well with our Volvos. Thanks for the tip in advance.

245 is the width at the road interface across the tire.
      40 is the percent of the width that the tire is tall. (.4 x 245 = height)
      18 is your rim diameter.

When you get new tires and rims, make sure that the height+rim diameter is the same as your current tires. That way your speedo and odometer will remain correct. For winter tires you would likely want a tire that is narrower than 245, and if you only get 17" rims, you will need a taller tire to make up for that. So with a more narrow tire, and needing more height, you will have a much higher aspect ratio (% of width that the tire is tall).

I'm surprised no one suggested Nokian tires for MN weather.

Is it not good for S80? According to XC90 forum, looks like Nokian is the best tire.

I was thinking about switching both car's tires to Nokian.

2007 S80 V8
      2005 XC90 V8

"Be kind & compassionate and the whole world will be your friend"

Re: (reinnie)

Quote, originally posted by reinnie »
      I'm surprised no one suggested Nokian tires for MN weather.

Is it not good for S80? According to XC90 forum, looks like Nokian is the best tire.

I was thinking about switching both car's tires to Nokian.

A tire is either good for snow or it's not. That's a design feature not a branding issue. Having said that, I've never heard of Nokian, and with a friend in the tire business, I've learned to stay away from no-name brands. Stick with top brands that have advanced manufacturing (and design) capabilities, and you're likely to run into a lot fewer problems. After all, your tires are all that keep you rolling.

Re: (Freeworld)

Nokian is a TOP brand name when it comes to the winter/all season tires.

See

http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/e....html

They are not cheap (i.e. quite expensive and quite good) by any means.

2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

Re: (gascos80)

Quote, originally posted by gascos80 »
      Nokian is a TOP brand name when it comes to the winter/all season tires.

See

http://www.bridgestone.co.jp/e....html

They are not cheap (i.e. quite expensive and quite good) by any means.

Interesting info, but they are still very small in the tire business. The obviously focus on winter tires being a Finnish company.

Hi from Ramsey. I'm running these BFGs http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com....html but I just got them this spring. I really like them as a high performance all season, I just have limited experience with them in the snow. A couple of light icy snow falls earlier this year and they seemed a little slick, but I'm going to try them this winter. If they don't work out, I'm getting blizzak's or nokians on steel wheels. I'd recommend that for you too. Just change them out when the weather starts to get cold and leave them on through till early spring.
      ------------------------
      Dan A
      1999 V70R
      Twin Cities

Re: (darag2358)

Quote, originally posted by darag2358 »
      Hi from Ramsey. I'm running these BFGs http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com....html but I just got them this spring. I really like them as a high performance all season, I just have limited experience with them in the snow. A couple of light icy snow falls earlier this year and they seemed a little slick, but I'm going to try them this winter. If they don't work out, I'm getting blizzak's or nokians on steel wheels. I'd recommend that for you too. Just change them out when the weather starts to get cold and leave them on through till early spring.

I am going to go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS next month. I really don't want the hassle of changing tires out twice a year. I can sacrifice some performance for safety at this point.

Maybe with 15's, but I doubt with 18's.

It worked on mine which are all 17s.

2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar

Re: (solyvive)

Quote, originally posted by solyvive »

I am going to go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS next month. I really don't want the hassle of changing tires out twice a year. I can sacrifice some performance for safety at this point.

Well I hope you don't end up in a ditch, or worse, crashed in to someone else. IMHO the added grip from snow tires is well worth 45 minutes of my time, twice a year. Less if you have power tools.

Re: (Warpedcow)

Well I hope you don't end up in a ditch, or worse, crashed in to someone else. IMHO the added grip from snow tires is well worth 45 minutes of my time, twice a year. Less if you have power tools.

Let's not get into scare tactics. You could say the same thing about studs, or chains. It's all a matter of degrees. Unless you are a critical infrastructure worker (doctor, nurse, fireman, etc.) you can just as easily wait for the streets to be cleared before going out. And better to drive more conservatively anyway rather than "thinking" you can do more than you can. The real world differences are quite small.

The real world differences are quite small.

Let's see. I drove my S60 T5 for it's first winter on all-seasons. The second winter I had it on snow tires (the same Blizzaks I now run on the R). The differences are in no way small, in fact they are staggering. I would say stopping distances are on overage HALVED with snow tires, any time there is a non-trivial amount of frozen precipitation on the road surface. And around here, we get snow often enough that you can't just "stay home until the roads are cleared" unless you are unemployed.

Let's see. I drove my S60 T5 for it's first winter on all-seasons. The second winter I had it on snow tires (the same Blizzaks I now run on the R). The differences are in no way small, in fact they are staggering. I would say stopping distances are on overage HALVED with snow tires, any time there is a non-trivial amount of frozen precipitation on the road surface. And around here, we get snow often enough that you can't just "stay home until the roads are cleared" unless you are unemployed.

You still can't act like a stupid SUV driver just because you have snows on. It's still slippery and still requires lots of caution.

You still can't act like a stupid SUV driver just because you have snows on. It's still slippery and still requires lots of caution.

I never said you could act that way.

But since you obviously want to talk about "stupid SUV drivers", let's say one of them pulls out in front of you on the highway when it's snowing. You have 300 feet to stop. Your all season tires need 400 feet to stop. My snow tires need 200 feet. Who is going to go home happy?

And don't bother answering with "I'd drive slower so I only need 200 feet to stop". Unless you're going to drive everywhere at 2MPH, there's always the possibility that someone could pull out in front of you in such a way that you don't have enough time to stop, no matter what tires you have. But snow tires will either let you stop in time, or will make a severe crash much less worse, when compared to all season tires.

I never said you could act that way.

But since you obviously want to talk about "stupid SUV drivers", let's say one of them pulls out in front of you on the highway when it's snowing. You have 300 feet to stop. Your all season tires need 400 feet to stop. My snow tires need 200 feet. Who is going to go home happy?

And don't bother answering with "I'd drive slower so I only need 200 feet to stop". Unless you're going to drive everywhere at 2MPH, there's always the possibility that someone could pull out in front of you in such a way that you don't have enough time to stop, no matter what tires you have. But snow tires will either let you stop in time, or will make a severe crash much less worse, when compared to all season tires.

No worry at all. The SUV driver will wind up in the ditch and neither of us will hit him

No worry at all. The SUV driver will wind up in the ditch and neither of us will hit him

So true. Just having an elementary grasp of the laws of physics makes you a much safer driver in the snow. I wish more people had such knowledge.

Nokian makes a "all-weather" not all-season that is great. Nokian WR or the newer WRG2. Both fantastic in the snow. Much better then any other all season I've used and just behind a full dedicated snow tire.
      - Ara

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."

2004 SR_MT_Metalic Silver_Nordkap_17" Pegs_Stock_169K

Re: (Blurry)

Quote, originally posted by Blurry »
      Nokian makes a "all-weather" not all-season that is great. Nokian WR or the newer WRG2. Both fantastic in the snow. Much better then any other all season I've used and just behind a full dedicated snow tire.

Do you leave your Nokian ON all year round?

2007 S80 V8
      2005 XC90 V8

"Be kind & compassionate and the whole world will be your friend"