how to adjust the parking brake? 2004 7seater
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

how to adjust the parking brake? 2004 7seater

I can't seem to find the parking brake adjustment on this car. The manual says to remove the side panel on the center console. All I see is the cable not the adjuster. Seems like it may be farther back in the console, but the entire console would need to b removed. Thanks for any information to help out

Re: how to adjust the parking brake? 2004 7seater (infinkc)

The following in italics is a portion from Volvo Tech-Net Notes No. 55-02 Date: 5-20-2003 Subject: Parking Brake Adjustment. I had this done when the parking brake wasn't releasing properly causing the brakes to overheat.

Description: The Parking brake should have a range of 4 - 6 clicks when fully depressed (Using normal pedal force). If it is found that the range is less than specified, it is recommended to install a balancing spring (PN 1212200) to the self-adjuster mechanism.

4. After the spring is installed, it will now be necessary to reset the self-adjuster on the parking brake pedal assembly. Locate the Release spring (see illustration, No Disassembly Required), and push it forward slightly (approx. 1/4 inch) using a screwdriver, hold it forward for approximately 5 seconds. This will allow the balancing spring to pull back on the self -adjuster.

5. Depress and release the Parking Brake 10 times (this will allow the self-adjuster to reset.

Note: "Release spring" mentioned above is a small metal tab located near top of brake pedal arm. Balancing spring was installed near primary brake cable yoke inside center console.

The adjuster on a 2005 model is not on the footpedal assembly - it is located driver's side bottom of the console and is accessed by removing the carpeted side cover.

Move the seat to it's rearmost position, pop out the heater discharge cover in the driver's side footwell (on transmission hump) and pull the carpeted panel off. The treaded adjuster is there. Put wrench on incoming cable sleave, outgoing sleave, and turn adjuster to create or remove slack.

If you don't have 3 hands, GENTLY hold the rearward cable sleave with a visegrip on the flatted section.

Worked for me !!

MAT

Re: (bbcmat)

Quote, originally posted by bbcmat »
      The adjuster on a 2005 model is not on the footpedal assembly - it is located driver's side bottom of the console and is accessed by removing the carpeted side cover.

Move the seat to it's rearmost position, pop out the heater discharge cover in the driver's side footwell (on transmission hump) and pull the carpeted panel off. The treaded adjuster is there. Put wrench on incoming cable sleave, outgoing sleave, and turn adjuster to create or remove slack.

If you don't have 3 hands, GENTLY hold the rearward cable sleave with a visegrip on the flatted section.

Worked for me !!

MAT

hmm i must be blind cause there is no adjuster on mine, i can folow the entire cable from where it goes under the car to where it connects to the pedal and its just a solid black cable.

Re: (infinkc)

i think i know why i cant adjust this thing, casue there is a TSB 5503 that converts the parking brake to a manual adjustment. wonder if the dealer will do this work still.