Average age of Volvo owners - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      I am 24 and got my S40 at 22. At 17 my mom offered me her Volvo ('93 940T) if I went to a state school, and she would have gotten a C70. I seriously considered it, even though we were joking around about it. But I went to a private college instead.. At 19 I wanted a Volvo but settled for a Jetta. When the Jetta got rear-ended I finally got my Volvo, and have loved every minute of it!!

Re: (ktb09)

I've been looking at this poll for the last 2 years. Every car board has a poll just like it and it drives me crazy, because it is meaningless. Generally speaking, internet users are younger than the general demographic for a car. And a good portion of the internet users are "enthusiasts."

Now, don't get me wrong...there are a lot of great Volvos, but most Volvo drivers are older and they are NOT enthusiasts. Therefore, the polls should read, "Average age of Volvo owners who frequest Swedespeed and actually have time to respond to a poll."

Okay. I'll be quiet now.

Re: (washnwax)

And there should be an option for those rich LA folk that buy an "M"

J/K, I agree with you.

Re: Average age of Volvo owners (j-c)

According to this article, the average USA Volvo owner is 47 years-old and the industry average is 46. Not quite what I thought.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/au...6.htm

Scroll down to the charts.

Re: Average age of Volvo owners (Calhon)

Quote, originally posted by Calhon »

http://www.detnews.com/2004/au...6.htm

Scroll down to the charts.

Oh my god, we're worse than BMW Mercedes and AUDI for longevity. How did Jaguar undercut us by 6 places?? Aren't we owned by the same company? (sigh) Volvo needs to get its you-konw-what together

Re: (chiggahasavolvo)

Age 16...1st car 1991 Toyota Camry.. age 19 '97 Volvo 850! I worked at a Volvo dealership and I was able to find a cheap one.

Re: (nobbe3728)

when I started driving, of all the interesting cars accessible to the average teen age motorhead, the MGA was probably the commonest; the 544 appeared as just about the only reasonably priced "sports sedan" (only other example you'd likely ever see was a Jaguar sedan); and sporty it was! and very like the MG (ohv 4 with side draft SU's); exhaust note (after suitable freeing of resistance) very similar to the MG.

thus Volvo launched in this country with the image of a genuine sports sedan, with rally credentials (E. African Safari win was big) and a group of followers that thought they were just the best (sedan at least) choice for going fast on twisty roads; this image was further enhanced by the 1800, which with development became a really nice GT coupe;

somewhere I think I still have a yellowed old issue of Car & Driver's test of the 1966 1800S, which they compared very favorably to the then current offering from Porsche (356 1600); it was a darn good rally car and I acquired quite a few trophies with mine (the rallies of that day being far less serious than pro rallying today, but in the PacNW still involving a lot of going waaay faster than you should on one lane gravel through the woods).

anyway, the upshot was, Volvo started out here with a group of loyal enthusiasts as supporters, and many were quite young; in the years since, Volvo's product and image have changed a lot; as far as sportiness, Porsche moved on and Volvo took another direction;

IMHO, things began to change with the advent of the 850; all due respect to those who stayed loyal to the brand and maintained, restored and campaigned the noble 240 over the years, but there wasn't much spiritual support from the home office between the 122 and the 850; now, I think, Volvo has cautiously put a toe back in the water, especially with the R, though they certainly aren't tooting their horn very loud about it.

thus some of your "older" Volvo owners still have an image of Volvo they've been carrying around since we were young!

Modified by willyjp at 12:44 PM 7-22-2005

Quote »
      It doesn't mean anything, then again maybe it does.

Only if you know the ages of the new car buyers versus used car buyers. Since the average income of US new car Volvo buyers is somewhere betweeen that of Jaguar and Lincoln buyers, I would guess more of the youngest buyers are buying used Volvos, and that the age of new car buyers is older.

Re: (willyjp)

My image of willyjp's garage:

Re: Average age of Volvo owners (surfcity)

Quote, originally posted by surfcity »
      Only if you know the ages of the new car buyers versus used car buyers. Since the average income of US new car Volvo buyers is somewhere betweeen that of Jaguar and Lincoln buyers, I would guess more of the youngest buyers are buying used Volvos, and that the age of new car buyers is older.

Exactly. For example, I'm 21, I've owned 4 Volvos, all used, never got a new one yet, and I probably won't get a new one before 10 years from now or so.

1999 Volvo C70 T5

I was 28 when I got my first Volvo for $275.
      I've had 10 of them and still have the one I bought in 1971.
      It's a 164 and I drive it most days at 289,000 miles.
      Until 2000, it was the most expensive car I ever bought.
      I paid half the price of a new one for it (2 yrs old), $2400.
      It was also the last car I borrowed money to buy.
      I think I am close to getting my money's worth out of it.

Re: Average age of Volvo owners (Walrus3)

i'm 27

i am 31 and this is my first Volvo. I purchased it last monday and couldn't be happier. I have always driven saabs but thought for this car i couldn't pass up the deal i was getting for this 2002 s80... black on black. im looking out the window at it as i type this... i still can't believe it's out in the drive way...

Re: Average age of Volvo owners (JRL)

Let me chime in here...I have been in the car biz since 1979. I began with Volvo ( the 1st time in 1987..then 4 yrs w/Lexus and then back to Volvo). Our store has been in the same location for 18+yrs., and we have a very well established owner base. Over the past 2-3 yrs., i think the ave. age has decreased a little. IMO, that is due to the new S40 and to a degree, the XC90.
      I am estimating an educated guess that the ave. age of the current "new car" Volvo buyer is @ 38-40. That is based solely on my personal sales over the past 3yrs. Prior to the new S40/XC90...pre 2001, I would say the ave. age was @48-50.
      SO............conclusion is that YES the ave age is decreasing..and that is by design! Volvo is trying to "slowly" change their image to attract a younger buyer...while at the same time not lose their existing owner base. Except for a few minor glitches, like no factory sat radio program/no factory i-pod "freebie'/too little adverstising....I think they are on the right track! The new C70 and hopefully, the C30 in a few years..will give them some models to continue to attract younger buyers. I am hoping so....since my future income depends on it!
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

I am 20, and I love my S80!

Re: Average age of Volvo owners (omega6_virus)

Quote, originally posted by omega6_virus »
      I am 20 and younger, but both of my parents are over 50, so that needs two votes.

I am 20...1st Volvo. I worked at a Volvo/Rover Jag dealer...so that's how I started to get into them.

23 and my S60 is my first Volvo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12