XC-90 Anti Skid message...whats causing it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

XC-90 Anti Skid message...whats causing it?

Mom in law just bought a 2007 XC90 3.2, 12k miles, pristine & loaded, 6 yr. volvo warranty for $28k. Killer Deal...but thats beside the point. She has driven the car about 1500 miles and we already have a couple issues. First, the passenger door was rattling, and I diagnosed it as the window switch was loose...easy fix, right? Well Lyle Pearson Boise managed to A) make a 6 inch cut along the top portion of the panel, and B) crack the bottom portion of the panel and make it worse. So they got to buy us a new panel.

Secondly, and most importantly she got an error message within the first 200 miles of owning the car. "Anti-skid service required", "Anti-Skid Temporarily off". It seemed like this would happen randomly when we switch on the car, about 50% of the time. Sometimes shutting off the car and restarting would make the message go away.

We take it back to Lyle on Nov. 11 and they reset the codes and update the software (not to mention replacing the door panel they ruined).

My question is that I have heard horror stories about having to take the XC-90 to the dealer multiple times over the Anti-skid. Two times is too many for me. Below is what they deduced from our first visit...and of course the anti-skid came back on after the 200 mile trip home. What do you think is causing the problem? Yaw sensor? And what is a BCM and a SAS?

Oh and remember that door panel? They left a screw inside the door and its rolling around when accelerating or braking!!! Argh!

Thanks in advance for the advice. -Tim

2005 S60R GT, Passion Red, Gobi. RICA tune. 75k.
      2008 XC90 V8, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sandstone. 70k.

Boise, ID

Re: XC-90 Anti Skid message...whats causing it? (tgarza)

BCM = Brake Control Module
      SAS = Steering Angle Sensor

Several sensors could trigger the "Anti-Skid service requited" message on the DIM.
      We've seen XC90s with Brake pedal sensor failure or Differential module failure or ABS speed sensor failure that caused this message pop up.

MY02 V70XC w/19" IWC CSL w/245/40/19 T1S, R Brembos f+r, Coilovers, VST anti-sway bars + endlinks + f&r strut bars, UR strut bar + lower f&r braces, Pipercross, KKK K24, 465 green injectors, FMIC, ATF cooler, VST Rev, UR pulley, Aquamist, TME 3" DP + Catback, Built B5244T5 + MTE Stg 3 tuned=

Re: XC-90 Anti Skid message...whats causing it? (ifnt420)

Can any of these codes the dealer gave me give us any idea of what is causing the problem? I have a feeling that the dealer will try just one approach, only for it to not work and the car and an angry mother in law has to make another 400 mile round trip.

Boise, ID

Re: XC-90 Anti Skid message...whats causing it? (tgarza)

Quote, originally posted by tgarza »
      Can any of these codes the dealer gave me give us any idea of what is causing the problem? I have a feeling that the dealer will try just one approach, only for it to not work and the car and an angry mother in law has to make another 400 mile round trip.

Unfortunately this is what majority of the dealers are doing to save Volvo money on warranty repairs, they will clear the code and see if the problem or any DTC reappears.
      From the write up, it's most likely the SAS at fault.

MY02 V70XC w/19" IWC CSL w/245/40/19 T1S, R Brembos f+r, Coilovers, VST anti-sway bars + endlinks + f&r strut bars, UR strut bar + lower f&r braces, Pipercross, KKK K24, 465 green injectors, FMIC, ATF cooler, VST Rev, UR pulley, Aquamist, TME 3" DP + Catback, Built B5244T5 + MTE Stg 3 tuned=

Just a quick update...Dealer pulled codes again and are replacing the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor). That should fix the problem.

Boise, ID