Automatic transmission rolls while in park
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Automatic transmission rolls while in park

If it's not one thing it's another...
      2002 S60 AWD 70k miles
      My driveway is at a slight incline, maybe 10 - 15 degrees and I've learned to park nose up. Last week I looked out my window and my car was out in the road. I thought maybe it had slid down the ice. It was about 20 feet down from where it is parked. The car was in park with the brake on. I drove it back up to its spot, put it in park, took my foot off the brake and the car started rolling backward again. It isn't a steady roll, it rolls a couple feet then pauses then rolls a couple more feet and pauses etc. I went up the driveway 3 times before I gave up and parked across the street. The next day it parked fine in the driveway. This morning it is back to rolling when in park.
      I parked nose down and it didn't have this problem, yet. Is this a symptom of a slipping transmission? It seems to drive fine with the exception of the shift flares and the pause between shifting from park to drive (all things my dealer, Mt. Kisco Volvo, have been unable to fix).

Re: Automatic transmission rolls while in park (ClockworkKyle)

ClockworkKyle this sounds very serious.

Mt. Kisco Volvo can't fix it? Did they give you a diagnostic report with a cost breakdown? Have you taken the car to an AAA approved transmission shop - please do so - get it towed.

DO NOT DRIVE this car - dangerous to you and other innocent people. Rent a car in the meantime.

I just picked up your thread but other SS members more knowledgeable will be jumping in soon.

Re: Automatic transmission rolls while in park (stev vanveit)

I haven't even contacted them about this latest problem. I have had nothing but problems with them and this car since November '06. It's out of warranty now and I am thinking I should just unload it while it still runs. Unfortunately it's worth far less than I owe on it.

When you park the car on top of your drive do you have a level "0 degree" parking pad or is the vehicle always parked on an incline?

Seems your transmission linkage, gears and spline is causing the transmission to pop into neutral. But I'm no expert. In addition your emergency brake appears to not be holding contributing to excessive strain on the tranny.

Since Mt. Kisco Volvo has been working on your car it's best to give them an additional call explaining your latest problem.

In addition gather all your work orders and invoices and start explaining the problem from the very beginning as when other SS members come on line they will need information in order to help out.

Use a point format in explanation along with the language written on work orders.

Standing by.

The driveway does not level out, the car is always at an incline when I'm home.
      I bought the car in November '06 and while driving it home the day I bought it the transmission started the flare up. When making a turn it's like it would go into neutral then it would make a jarring THUD and drop into gear. I took it back to Mt. Kisco Volvo and they said it had never done that before. I immediately had to pay $170 for them to "update" transmission. Ridiculous. It didn't do anything to alleviate the flare. About two weeks later is when I noticed it paused for a second or two in between park and drive. Back to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong.
      I read up on the forums here and changed the fluid with Mobil 3309 and the IPD kit in December (and every December since) but that still hasn't made a difference.
      I hate dealing with them because they look at me like I am the only person with these issues. The warranty expired last May.
      I'll make some calls today to transmission shops.
      Anybody know a REASONABLE and REPUTIBLE transmission mechanic in the Westchester, NY area?

Pull out your original agreement of purchase - what does it say?

Quote, originally posted by ClockworkKyle »

I bought the car in November '06 and while driving it home the day I bought it the transmission started the flare up. When making a turn it's like it would go into neutral then it would make a jarring THUD and drop into gear. Iwrong.

You are going to need a new transmission, very sorry.
      You can try to look at the B4 servo,
      (cheap fix and can cure SOME tranny issues, but not many in the scheme of things)
      most probably it's already shot
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Quote, originally posted by ClockworkKyle »
      I hate dealing with them because they look at me like I am the only person with these issues. The warranty expired last May.

I'm pretty sure they've seen transmission problems before. This is pretty prevalent in the early cars.

As you noted the symptoms during the warranty period, and your dealer did nothing, I would call Volvo corporate and complain. See if you can get a reman tranny under goodwill. But tell them you want it installed by ANOTHER dealer. It sounds like Mt. Kisco Volvo is a dealer to avoid.

2010 XC90 V8 Executive Pearl White/Anthracite Black
      Luxury Pkg/Multimedia Pkg/Climate Pkg/RSE/back up camera/power folding mirrors

CK - They look at me the same way. Encouraging isn't it My headlights leak, it's obvious from the water streaks and accumulating dust inside the lens. They say that they can't get it to do that under a pressure test in the shop so there's nothing they can do. Driving in that heavy rain on Wed. night coming home the lights flickered a few times so I went over there this morning and they were too busy to look but if it's really a problem I could leave the car with them for a few days and they would test it again. I think it's time to start going to Danbury but they are owned by the same group so I don't know if that's the ultimate answer.

Re: Automatic transmission rolls while in park (gravitylover)

Seems you've found the problem. Order new headlight kit from IPD and if your not mechanically inclined seek out a shop that specializes in Auto Electrics. They will install and repair the short.

I sympathize with you as your in the same boat with ClockworkKyle.

Seems you'll have to become more proactive in automotive repair and diagnostic. But then your a SS member nuf said.

Re: Automatic transmission rolls while in park (gravitylover)

I've heard horror stories about all of the Premier Auto groups. I guess Volvo in Poughkeepsie has the least amount of complaints tho.
      On a sidebar (well, back to the initial topic), I went to AAMCO in Mahopac on Friday. The mechanic was very knowledgeable about S60s and the AW transmissions. He spent more time going over the history of the car than any Volvo rep ever has. He took it out and tried to get the transmission to "ratchet" by throwing it in Park while going about 5mph. The damn car stopped on a dime. This happened oh 5 or 6 times in Drive and Reverse. We then took it out on the road, same thing on a hill. It just stayed put. He jokingly tried to convince me that it is due to my working midnights for so long. No matter what we did the car would not replicate what it does in my driveway.
      We did experience what I believe to be a flare. He said the transmission was hunting for a gear. This part I have to argue with him. If it is hunting for a gear (why would it need to first off?), why does the engine rev to over 4,000 then with a BANG drop into gear?
      I drove home and guess what...
      It rolled, paused, rolled some more, paused, and rolled some more, about 15 feet total.
      I am at my wits end with this.

Geez to bad you two didn't test it on a hill. Go back and have another test drive but this time on a hill. I'm sure this nice mechanic will help once again as test #1 was just that a test. Test #2 coming up. Phone him, explain what happened and set an appointment as he's probably busy. In the meantime look for a hill like your drive especially if the dealership and surrounding terrain is all flat. Back to yea.

Oh we did, a far steeper hill than my driveway too. It just stayed put.

Is there any way you can set up a camera that will record your cars behaviour. If and when it moves on it's own you can show the mechanic. It's frustrating to say the least.

That place is right around the corner from my house. The few times I've been there I have also had a good experience.

I was able to make a quick video this morning with my phone of my car rolling in Park. Send me a message if you want me to email it to you. I'm not Youtubing it or anything. It's a 35 second Quicktime file.

Re: (ClockworkKyle)

So now your forwarding the video to.....

I copied njb8199 thread from above.

I'm pretty sure they've seen transmission problems before. This is pretty prevalent in the early cars.

As you noted the symptoms during the warranty period, and your dealer did nothing, I would call Volvo corporate and complain. See if you can get a reman tranny under goodwill. But tell them you want it installed by ANOTHER dealer. It sounds like Mt. Kisco Volvo is a dealer to avoid.