Volvo Motorcycle?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Volvo Motorcycle?

Warren Buffet Berkshire Hathaway has just rescued Harley Davidson with $300m investment - he can see the future.

Which got me thinking if BMW can produce a motorcycle then surely Volvo could do the same. So I looked around and found this fantastic Swedish motorcycle just sitting on the cusp.

Could Volvo make a motorcycle?

http://www.zoomilife.com/2008/...ycles/ - 66k

Modified by stev vanveit at 1:52 PM 2-5-2009

Global Moderator

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (stev vanveit)

Here she is in her wet suit...

http://www.strangedangers.com/...7.jpg

George Dill

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (gdill2)

Thanks for your humor George.

I'll be filing this one in the "good ideas gone bad club".

Quote, originally posted by stev vanveit »

...I mean no harm, only the pursuit of Volvo prosperity and success that is my only objective as I love the car and everything Volvo stands for.

Excellent.

At this point in time, the company needs good ideas. But not ones that require a massive outlay of cash to achieve an improbable end.

The part that I liked was Eva Hakansson along with her dad built (green) bikes in their garage. That's why I used her as inspiration for Volvo to contemplate, not to merge. I can understand how insanely expensive it would be for Volvo and Ford. They are a car company - full stop.

I wonder how BMW even manages to sleep at night.

Edit:
      I wonder how BMW, Honda and Suzuki even manages to sleep at night.

Modified by stev vanveit at 9:21 AM 2-6-2009

Is that you Trigger?

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (MagoonR)

A Volvo electric motorcycle would be very useful for those small trips to and from shops and friends abode near by. The concept can include a covered design for usage where weather is a factor. And there can also be a trike for those that have a problem with the kick stand.

Currently Volvo doesn't reach out to the masses at the lower end of the spectrum. By having an electric motorcycle, production cost would not need to be that high as utilization of current facilities and employee skills are already entrenched.

Sales can also include an automatic buyback program so after a few years the whole cycle vehicle is replace with new or recycled as a refurbished machine. Thus triggering a continuous sales loop and reoccurring work for those Volvo employees.

Perhaps they can make toaster ovens next?

Not a bad idea especially using a solar recovery system. Remember when we were kids we use to play around with a magnifying glass? Well an oven with this sort of technology would be cool. But I don't see Volvo doing it - maybe Ikea. Does it even exist?

What were you thinking - smarty pants?

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

MagoonR I'll have to take back that last remark "smarty pants" and compliment you. I was a bit to hasty -- your just not another pretty face! Joking. Joking.

Dextrobrick along with skibum0627 and V70.fan posted the link "The Volvo Owner Club - The Volvo Logo".

The article identified Volvo's history and what caught my interest was what we were discussing! So, your reference "Perhaps they can make toaster ovens next?"

It is quite feasible as Volvo...

"All those things were not realised but quite a few Volvo automobiles and other transportation devices have been produced over the years. Some other products that also carried the Volvo brand name are such oddities as producer-gas burners, camping trailers and office chairs. And the name still suits the company’s operations perfectly."

Now it even gets better especially for the "Volvo Motorcycle" thread as the article also referenced...

"Everything that rolls"
      'When operations started, they were described as follows: "Ball bearings, roller bearings, machines, transmissions, automobiles, bicycles, rolling-stock, transportation devices, means of transport of all kinds and parts of and accessories for the aforementioned products".'

Which got me thinking if BMW can produce a motorcycle then surely Volvo could do the same. So I looked around and found this fantastic Swedish motorcycle just sitting on the cusp.

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

PFFF...hahahaha Thanks, I spilled my beer.

Anyone can build a motorcycle. BMW has a long history of building motorcycles and have their own following. Just like Harley, Honda, and etc.

I don't think a company that has a reputation for safety innovations would be able to do much in regards to making a motorcycle safer. Unless maybe they implement some kind of safety bubble that protects the rider from road rash during a roll... I don't think a heartbeat monitor fits here either unless it's for the EMTs to check when they get to your motionless body..lol

I'd also question whether they have the capital for R&D of it.

Modified by nobbe3728 at 12:02 AM 2-17-2009

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (nobbe3728)

Quote, originally posted by nobbe3728 »

I don't think a company that has a reputation for safety innovations would be able to do much in regards to making a motorcycle safer. Unless maybe they implement some kind of safety bubble that protects the rider from road rash during a roll... I don't think a heartbeat monitor fits here either unless it's for the EMTs to check when they get to your motionless body..lol

I'd also question whether they have the capital for R&D of it.

Modified by nobbe3728 at 12:02 AM 2-17-2009

Well I wasn't thinking safety in relation to a car but to actually start building electric bikes and your reference to a bubble - well yes Volvo can make a safe roll-cage if that is part of any design concept.

R&D will be covered by the Swedish governments incentive program - they have already allocated millions for the taking.

I guess it's the fear of doing something different. However, Volvo's founding fathers had the right ideals "Everything that rolls".

I guess it's the fear of doing something different. However, Volvo's founding fathers had the right ideals "Everything that rolls".

Doing something different has definately paid off in the past. Lamborghini was a tractor manufacturer before a handful of young employees built a car afterhours...and the Miura was born.

The problem is finding that niche. The motorcycle market is saturated, but I'm sure they could come up with other stuff.

It's never mentioned here, but I wonder how Volvo's Construction equipment division is doing...

Hey, does someone have a gasket and an endlink they'd like to sell me for my Volvo toaster?

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (nobbe3728)

Quote, originally posted by nobbe3728 »

Doing something different has definately paid off in the past. Lamborghini was a tractor manufacturer before a handful of young employees built a car afterhours...and the Miura was born. ...

Lamborghini still make tractors, but that part of the company is now owned by (I think) AGCO or Deutz. And the first Lamborghini car was made because Ferrucio Lamborghini was dissatisfied with his Ferrari.

And there's a few others (in no particular order) just off the top of my head:
      - Porsche made utility tractors up until the '50s.
      - David Brown (the DB of Aston Martin) made tractors until that part of the company was sold to Case (now Case-IH).
      - Ford (now New Holland) made tractors.
      - Renault made utility tractors.
      - Fiat made tractors until they sold that line to AGCO
      - Leyland (Triumph) made tractors.
      - Austin-Morris (BMC) made Nuffield tractors.
      - Ferguson (Ferguson FF 4wd and Interceptor) made tractors until that line was sold to Massey-Harris to become Massey-Ferguson.
      There are more, but that may give you an idea of the tractor/car relationships out there.

'88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

Re: (MadeInJapan)

Quote, originally posted by MadeInJapan »
      Hey, does someone have a gasket and an endlink they'd like to sell me for my Volvo toaster?

I'll sell you a seat heater element for that perfect golden brown appearance

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (John2x240)

Quote, originally posted by John2x240 »

Lamborghini still make tractors, but that part of the company is now owned by (I think) AGCO or Deutz. And the first Lamborghini car was made because Ferrucio Lamborghini was dissatisfied with his Ferrari.

I picked Lamborghini because the engineer behind it were quite young... The designer was 22

Re: Volvo Motorcycle? (John2x240)

Quote, originally posted by John2x240 »
      - Ford (now New Holland) made tractors.
      - Fiat made tractors until they sold that line to AGCO

Fiat still makes tractors and farm equipment. After all, they bought New Holland from Ford and later merged it with Case.

Re:

Neighbourhood Electric Vehicles