Front control arm bushings, cost to replace?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Front control arm bushings, cost to replace?

Hi all, took the R in for an oil change yesterday, and of course they "discovered" all kinds of things I need to spend money on to fix the car.

1 in particular, and most expensive item are the front control arm bushings. He told me they are "torn/loose" (thats what he wrote down). And said they would be $195 for parts, and 4 hours labor. So $595 total

I already did some searching and saw that $195 for the bushings is way high, seems like even for a dealership. Are there 2 on each side? How many are there on the front control arm? I saw <$40/pair for front control arm bushings.

Is 4 hours reasonable to replace these? And should "loose" bushings be replaced? Also is this a safety issue in the short term?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (iamnotmad)

Buy them from Ipd...there are two bushings per side ($2X for one bushing and about $40 for the other bushing). Then find an automotive garage that has machining capabilities such as a press machine. Once you find the auto garage, find an independent shop that will remove the control arms and take them yourself to the auto garage and have them replace the bushings.

I paid for mine:

$25x2= $50
      $40x2= $80

and $100 (was actually 2 hours work total from pressing them out) and then had a mechanic friend install the control arms for me (haven't got a quote from him yet)

50+80+100+(50-100 for install of control arms) should be about $280-$330

Or...you could buy new control arms with the bushings already installed for even less (I think) if you get a good deal on them. Try http://www.tascavolvoparts.com, or there was a deal from eurosport tuning I think and also check http://www.ipd.com for their prices.

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (pie_ya)

From what I've read, the best way to do this is to get new control arms altogether. I've heard removing and pressing new bushings in can be a pain, and running from shop to shop for different parts of the labor can be really tedious.

I'm looking into this as well, and the though of jacking my engine up 1" to remove the frame-side bolts is not appealing in the least.

But more importantly, have they really gone bad? How many miles to you have on them? Maybe the dealer was just trying to get more work out of you.

Tony

2012 XC70 T6 Polestar
      1958 Volvo PV444 - B16B/M4
      Past Bricks: '95 855, '98 V70T5M, '04 V70R 6-speed, '10 XC60, '83 245 Turbo

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (T5 for Life)

Quote, originally posted by T5 for Life »
      From what I've read, the best way to do this is to get new control arms altogether. I've heard removing and pressing new bushings in can be a pain, and running from shop to shop for different parts of the labor can be really tedious.

I'm looking into this as well, and the though of jacking my engine up 1" to remove the frame-side bolts is not appealing in the least.

But more importantly, have they really gone bad? How many miles to you have on them? Maybe the dealer was just trying to get more work out of you.

Yeah good question, The ride does not really seem bad, aside from the side hop issue. So $195 for the parts is high for sure but is 4hrs is reasonable? I don't want to go through multiple shops etc.

375 for front bushings

550 for all four.

Paying a Volvo dealer to do the work is still cheaper than taking it to an aftermarket shop where they would have to replace the entire control arm.

Just my 2cents... this is one of the times that the dealership can be cheaper because it has the right tools/parts.

Hope this helps.

Quote, originally posted by iamnotmad »
      So $195 for the parts is high for sure...

Tasca is selling the control arms for $94.17 each.

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (dradernh)

1.5 hours per side is the estimate for a DIY job, once the engine is released from its mounts and lifted a tad.

So, that time estimate seems about right. Just make sure they aren't trying to squeeze unnecessary work from you.

Again, how many miles on the car?

Tony

2012 XC70 T6 Polestar
      1958 Volvo PV444 - B16B/M4
      Past Bricks: '95 855, '98 V70T5M, '04 V70R 6-speed, '10 XC60, '83 245 Turbo

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (dradernh)

I was wrong then^

For the experts here, a more general question might be:

"What kind of mileage should one expect out of them before it begins to be likely they need replacement?"

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (T5 for Life)

Quote, originally posted by T5 for Life »
      1.5 hours per side is the estimate for a DIY job, once the engine is released from its mounts and lifted a tad.

So, that time estimate seems about right. Just make sure they aren't trying to squeeze unnecessary work from you.

Again, how many miles on the car?

oh sorry, there are 52.8k miles on the car. Should the bushings be replaced? should "loose" ones as they say be replaced? Is it a safety issue?

So they quoted me $575 for just the front (that's 4 bushings right?) So valves did you mean all 4 in the front? They said $195 parts and 4hrs labor (@$95/hr), reasonable?

Thanks again.

I have seen those bushings start to tear and can cause front end alignment issues and even pulling when braking if one side is worse than the other.
      As for the mileage, I've seen them go at less miles. They are probably starting to tear or crack which is pretty normal. You can easily take a look at them for yourself. just start the car and turn the wheel to full lock and check them with a flashlight. I doubt they are 100% bad as you would be hearing some clunking and or pulling when braking and possible excessive front tire wear.
      2005 V70R GT, Silver/Gobi, 97K, OBX Downpipe. FMIC
      2001 XC70 239K

Just had them changed at 95K on my 04 S60 R (ya, should have been done a while ago).

(2) 8630604 Bushing @26.42 ea.
      (2) 9443882 Bushing @41.51 ea.
      (2) 31201020 SEMS NUT @4.14 ea.

Parts: 144.14
      Labor: 325.50
      Total: 469.64

Thank you VIP!

Re: Front control arm bushings, cost to replace? (we R obsessed)

Quote, originally posted by we R obsessed »
      Just had them changed at 95K on my 04 S60 R (ya, should have been done a while ago).

(2) 8630604 Bushing @26.42 ea.
      (2) 9443882 Bushing @41.51 ea.
      (2) 31201020 SEMS NUT @4.14 ea.

Parts: 144.14
      Labor: 325.50
      Total: 469.64

Thank you VIP!

So are those all dealership prices?

Just replace the control arms its three nuts per side .

By the time you buy the bushings , have them pressed out and pressed in , its cheaper to just jack up the car , buy new control arms and remove the old ones and put in new ones.

I just did this with wifes 01 and talk about a waste of time just replacing the bushings .

2013 Buick Regal 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me