What did you do to your car today? - Page 327
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 327 of 329 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 LastLast
    Results 11,411 to 11,445 of 11500
      My TB seemed to actually be bad. Replacing it has improved throttle response a ton.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      We'll be doing the same thing in a week or so. Curious how you're able to sit in front of those infant seats comfortably.
      I'm used to cramming my 6'1 ass covered in body armor and a rifle and a backpack into an uparmored hummer, doing this was a piece of cake:
      put the seats in there and get them level as needed. Then put the seatback upright into an ALMOST uncomfortable position, then scoot the seat back giving yourself about 1/2" or so of free room to get to the release handle for the carseat. Good enough for me in the legs department. Also if you want to squeak out every last inch of free room, lift your seat as high as it will go and push the steering wheel as far in and up as you can. Your legs lose about 4-6 inches of stretch but meh, I'm used to suffering for my love.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Took apart the waterfall and bought some plasti-dip - flat black to match the interior. Looks significantly better than that crappy satin aluminum finish in all it's dented and damaged glory.

Also discovered just how much a crappy person owned it before me - The shifter boot was GLUED to the bottom of the waterfall and then STAPLED IN, and some of those staples actually caused the dents in the aluminum that I was wondering about.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Took apart the waterfall and bought some plasti-dip - flat black to match the interior. Looks significantly better than that crappy satin aluminum finish in all it's dented and damaged glory.

Also discovered just how much a crappy person owned it before me - The shifter boot was GLUED to the bottom of the waterfall and then STAPLED IN, and some of those staples actually caused the dents in the aluminum that I was wondering about.
      Ugh... that sucks! I have the automatic so no boot, but damn... staples?! That aluminum sure shows the little dents/scuffs... I've been contemplating dipping it as well, or maybe trying vinyl again. How's the flat black look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a quick photo of it - it matches nicely with the rest of the dark interior. Personally I have never really grasped why some designers definition of luxury involves all black and then symmetrically placed light/shiny bits. It's like most of them were high and got their inspiration from a ****ty 1950's (black and white) movie about a kaleidescope.

Here's a quick photo of it - it matches nicely with the rest of the dark interior. Personally I have never really grasped why some designers definition of luxury involves all black and then symmetrically placed light/shiny bits. It's like most of them were high and got their inspiration from a ****ty 1950's (black and white) movie about a kaleidescope.

Looks sharp good job, I too am doing stuff to my things!

Went with copper on the spare water fall I picked up at the scrap yard for practice, I like how it came out so I'm gonna match the center console and door handles now.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Took out the maf sensor and cleaned it. Since she is acting up again.
      Will clean the throttle body this week also. She runs so bad when it is hot that I have an appointment at the workshop in June. So it's bicycle time for me

Gesendet von meinem LG-H870 mit Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 FWD Manual - Maintenance Queen

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      Looks sharp good job, I too am doing stuff to my things!

Went with copper on the spare water fall I picked up at the scrap yard for practice, I like how it came out so I'm gonna match the center console and door handles now.

Ooh... that copper looks nice!

icy cold outdoor airs for that hot air intake. because hotter air is colder air when routed from something something....

2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 19" Heico's w/ Hankook & ISC Coilovers
      IPD TCV, skidplate VIVA CBV, Prosport boost & AFR gauges, 6000k hid
      ELEVATE: Turbo Pipe, RSB, autotech III, body kit, intake. IC piping
      EST: grille, Exhaust, DP, BELL FMIC Streetunit trans mount.

I got to do this again.....within 2 yrs.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
      icy cold outdoor airs for that hot air intake. because hotter air is colder air when routed from something something....

Bwap bwap bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Quote Originally Posted by rhags138 View Post
      I got to do this again.....within 2 yrs.

Why so soon??? You're not using Genuine Volvo part?

No. The Volvo part is 650 here. The Bosch was from FCPEuro and has a lifetime warranty so it cost me nothing but more time. It looks like some wires inside frayed, shorted it, and started a fire. Im hoping it was a one off defect. Replaced the battery too.

That looks awesome in the bronze. Really contrasts the black well. Nice job!

Inspiring! What kind of paint did you use? Did you do 2-3 coats of clear?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Got a couple of goodies in the mail: new fuel pressure sensor, 36mm oil filter socket, iPd decals...

replacement door lock grommet for front passenger door...

and replacement 12v AC socket for center console...

Also removed the MAF sensor and housing to clean...

Little things... but more checked off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by akasbury View Post
      That looks awesome in the bronze. Really contrasts the black well. Nice job!
      thanks! i still need to black out the handles, ignition ring, e-brake trigger and stereo knobs to either a nice flat or glossy black.

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Inspiring! What kind of paint did you use? Did you do 2-3 coats of clear?
      yes, this is the first time i actually did things the "right' way.
      1.sanded
      2. 2 coats primer
      3. 2 coats paint adhesive
      4. 3 coats metallic copper
      5. 3 coats clear coat

the finish came out surprisingly smooth i was still planning on sanding down with 2000 grit paper then polishing but i dont want to mess it up.

the finish came out surprisingly smooth i was still planning on sanding down with 2000 grit paper then polishing but i dont want to mess it up.
      Some clear coats rattle cans have nozzles that spray with a very fine mist. I've sanded jobs that didn't need sanding and had to start from square one.

Installed the meyle front endlinks! Found out my car doesn't have the 90° rear endlinks (as shipped to me).

Car handles soooo much better...feels less like a boat!

Nice copper coating - it looks good! I plan on eventually doing another 3 coats of black with some FINE grit in there to give it texture and a little resilience.

Also - fixed my uneven intercooler - ended up using the radiator support frame to support the intercooler driverside that was sagging down about an inch. Passenger side didn't need anything. Now it's sitting level and looking sexy again.
      Also - ran into a no start condition on my harley - would kick off like it was going to work and then after about a second it would die. Ended up testing everything and was left with taking the carb apart - did that and stuck it in an ultrasonic bath with some powdered dishwasher detergent, and it must have cleaned it out GOOD because now it's running a jet or two too rich, and I need to retune it. Although I did notice the 21 years of gasoline varnish in the gas tank has started to peel itself up, so I am expected a few clogged tank filters and am probably going to put an inline filter in it just to make sure nothing else gets to the carb. Ironically now it kicks off without much cranking as well when cold, which it NEVER did before, so I hope whatever it was got knocked loose and is out of there permanently.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 05-25-2017 at 03:30 PM.

More expense for me today....replaced a couple of cv boots on the passenger side, just enough time to save the axle! My garage has been leaking fluid which I'd initially thought to be coolant or transmission but after careful inspection, the inner cv boot was the culprit. My indie-guy recommended doing both inner and outer boots at the same time because it doesn't make sense to tinker with the outer (one by wheel) since it can be on its way out soon.

Newly installed outer boot (L), and inner boot (R)
      Last edited by 80sGuy; 05-25-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Had some new tires installed:

Dunlop Signature HP. 215/45/17 vs 205/50 on the outgoing BFG comp 2 a/s.

Aesthetically I liked the BFGs better- they were a bit meatier in the side profile and had a cleaner tread pattern. These Dunlops have more aggressive siping and grooving so they should offer better snow and wet traction and some semblance of mud traction (which the comp2s were laughable at). Hopefully they sacrifice little to no dry performance though- the comp2s were great in that regard.

I had these put on at Peerless Tire. Pretty cheap at $67 for mount and balance. Though I questioned their competency a bit when they installed 2 of the tires backwards.

2007 S40 T5 AWD

Continued work on engine by replacing the FPS today. I've been getting pretty consistent CELs on cylinder misfires as well; always cylinders 2, 3, & 4. While waiting for the gas fumes to go away after the FPS change I took all the spark plugs out and re-gapped them (hadn't done it to spec last week when I replaced them). Between that and the new FPS it seems to be starting up without stalling now... and no CEL... but we'll see after a day or two.

Getting some pretty consistent knocking in the front end suspension (?) as well, need to jack it up and take a look at it.

While looking around it today noticed that I have a small leak of coolant from somewhere around the reservoir, and it appears that oil is leaking somewhere around the timing belt, as it's being thrown up onto the inside of the timing belt cover.

Also, removed the grille to clean it up/paint it and did a simple tablet install using an Android tablet with LTE (sharing my unlimited data plan), a Bluetooth FM transmitter, and some mounting hardware. Saw the idea from another post from a few years ago and figured I'd do the same until I can get another, more integrated, solution installed (like Grom or BluPower).

Cam seals. Actually not a bad job. I need another set of end caps because I messed up the cheap ones I bought when putting them in

I didn't take enough pics for a write up sadly.

- oil/filter change: love how the fumoto valve makes this just a bit more pleasant
      - aisin geartronic transmission drain (via drain plug) and fill (approx 4 quarts) mobil 3309: last done approx 30k miles ago, brownish but not as dark as when originally done at 50k (i drive lots of city stop & go), shifting slightly more silky afterwards
      - replaced coolant reservoir: not leaking yet but at almost 80k, cheap insurance to not have a leak that can potentially do some serious damage
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak/18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      Cam seals. Actually not a bad job. I need another set of end caps because I messed up the cheap ones I bought when putting them in

I didn't take enough pics for a write up sadly.
      don't they "bottom out" where they sit anyways, making them easy enough you don't need a seal installer to do?

don't they "bottom out" where they sit anyways, making them easy enough you don't need a seal installer to do?
      Yes both the seals and caps do this. An older T5 could have a seal pressed in too much though iirc.

Putting the seals in wasn't bad, but with limited space on the cap side I couldn't quite get my rubber mallet in. The caps didn't go in straight and I couldn't make them flush. I'm gonna pull the battery box for my second attempt so I have room.

Left Dahlonega at 5:00.
      On the train at 6:00.
      On the plane at 9:30.
      In Pittsburgh at 11:00.
      In the taxi at 11:10.
      In the Subaru at 11:30.
      Back home by 20:00.

Brought home my parents' new AWD wagon of a different flavor. It's slow, but it's solid.

I got to clean this guy off of my hood. I thought it was a leaf at first. Car was parked all memorial day weekend, so he was pretty stuck on there. Guess he could have used a Red Bull....

Replaced both LCA's as well as new rotors and pads up front. The first one took 3 hrs the second one took 1.5. Easy enough job way easier with more space and proper tools.

Cured my vibration while driving and while braking to a halt.

Finished the timing belt job from hell last night, someone was in there before me and made some marks that weren't quite right. This is where the exhaust cam ended up with the cam lock tool in place:

Speaking of the cam lock tool, while I was taking things apart to install it one of the bolts for the cam sensor triggers stripped out. I was able to drill a hole in it and tap a smaller Torx bit into it to get it out:

Finally, one of the 4 M8 bolts for the crank pulley sheared off when I was reinstalling it. I was able to spin it out with a left-handed drill bit:

I've never had such bad luck with hardware before.

Also, PSA: I found all this junk behind the fender liner, it might be worth pulling them and cleaning behind them from time to time to keep the fender from rusting.

1966 220: eventual Ecotec swap project
      1998 V70XC: 249K
      1999 S70 #base, 192K
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66: 121K

Dropped the front subframe. Broke both tie rod ends in the process, in addition to all bolts being seized, all the way from subframe main bolts to anti roll bar to trans mount bolts. Blowtorch + MoS2 penetrating oil + impact wrench -seized. The miracle of 12 years of Scandinavian road salt caked up and rusted all fasteners.

Oh joy. The transmission is coming out tomorrow, now I need a beer. Or five.

Quote Originally Posted by rhags138 View Post
      I got to clean this guy off of my hood. I thought it was a leaf at first. Car was parked all memorial day weekend, so he was pretty stuck on there. Guess he could have used a Red Bull....

Wow, that's gotta be SS's mccobb shot of the year!
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

V60 got her 20k service on the house. I had a 2017 S60 with the dynamic trim loaner for the day and I gotta say those seat bolsters made me blush!

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 327 of 329 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 LastLast