Audio Input (iPod) options for HU613 (Volvo S60)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Audio Input (iPod) options for HU613 (Volvo S60)

This has probably been answered here somewhere, but wondering what options there are for creating an audio input on my HU613 head unit. Can I rig up a mini jack to the CD Changer input?

Also would like to know about adding or upgrading the amplifier.

Re: Audio Input (wildman)

Well, I partly anwered my own question. Found this on crutchfield.com:

Just install USA SPEC's iPod interface it not only allows you to listen to all your favorite tunes through your car's speakers, it even lets you control song and playlist selections right from your radio.

Just mount the compact interface box in a hidden location in your vehicle, and connect the adapter cable to the CD changer input on your compatible 2001-up Volvo factory radio. Plug your iPod into the interface you can control volume, source, song selection, and up to five different play lists right from the radio. And the interface charges your iPod while it's connected! (Note: the adapter is compatible with all iPod and iPod mini models equipped with a dock connector and iPod software update 2004-04-28, or higher.)

Quote, originally posted by wildman »
      This has probably been answered here somewhere, but wondering what options there are for creating an audio input on my HU613 head unit. Can I rig up a mini jack to the CD Changer input?

Go with iMIV unit, its by far superior than the USA-Spec one, on all aspects of the playing field. The USA-Spec one is almost very similar to the OEM Volvo unit.

Here's what you need from iMIV:

2012 S60 T6 AWD R-Design - IceWhite/Off Black, Climate, Multimedia, PCC, BLIS, KN Filter, IPD 'R' Boost Gauge, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2013 S60 T5 AWD - Black Stone/Off Black, Climate, Premier Plus, Rear Spoiler, RD Strut Brace {Hers}
      SOLD:2004 S40 LSE/1994 940 Turbo/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring

Quote, originally posted by wildman »

You can get a cable for using an aftermarket amp here (plugs into the factory din connector on the back of the 613). Can be used with pretty much any aftermarket amp.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...16936

For an input, the iMIV is the most feature rich solution (99 playlists, song tittles on HU display, steering wheel control of iPod, etc). It has inputs for BOTH iPod (via ipod dock cable) and aux in RCA jacks.
      http://www.imiv.ca

Here is an adapter for the Volvo OEM speaker wire harness. To easily connect the output from an amp to the factory speakers.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...l1116

iPD tune / Bilstein HD / iPD 25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / sport body kit / Heico Volutions / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / CFE / Anodized gauges /etc.

Re: All Responses

Thank you.

HU 613 iPod How do you turn on

I bought a used 2002 AWD Cross Country V70 with a HU 613 audio stereo that has an iPod cable hooked up through the cup holder/box between the driver and passenger seat.

The CD player only works if an iPod is hooked in, if not it doesn't show up at all on the panel of the stereo unit. And I can't figure out how to 'turn on' the iPod while hooked up to the cable from either the iPod or the stereo system itself.

Is there a way to do this? Is it a matter of knowing how to use the software that I cannot figure out? I'm not interested in taking the unit out...I'm not mechanical at all. I'm just trying to figure out if there is way to do this step by step that I'm not aware of.

Thanks,
      Jerry

Blog Entries

Re: HU 613 iPod How do you turn on (JerryGrasso)

When the iPod is hooked up and just starting, what does its screen show? When you say the cd player works only if an ipod is hooked up, which cd player do you mean?

Have you seen the car owners manual, the radio operations pages?

If you start a new thread in this forum, you'll probably get a better response. Just delete your original post, if/when you do.

'04 V70 NA -- gone

Hi All,
      I'm new to volvos, new to this and any forums, and new to diy car stuff.
      Anyways...
      Provided the car did not have a CD Changer before, isn't it the case that a software upgrade will need to be done? Because from my understanding, the MelBus input would act as a CD Changer, but if you didn't have one, you can't find the thing with the source dial.
      Thanks

Blog Entries
      No. The ipod adapter, e.g. iMIV, emulates the cd changer. Everyone who has used one here has not had to get a software download, the HU will recognize the adapter without it. Read the installion instructions and manual on the website.
      '04 V70 NA -- gone

Quote Originally Posted by MrTippy View Post
      When the iPod is hooked up and just starting, what does its screen show? When you say the cd player works only if an ipod is hooked up, which cd player do you mean?

Have you seen the car owners manual, the radio operations pages?

If you start a new thread in this forum, you'll probably get a better response. Just delete your original post, if/when you do.

Mr. Tippy is right, there is no software update required for adding devices to the MELBUS. I would like to point out that we can emulate various devices to accomodate just about all car configurations. SInce you have a HU 613 I would recommend going with the MDC channel for your iPod playback. This gives you text on the radio for artist name, song title, and playlist.

Hope this helps!