Replacing alarm siren backup battery
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Replacing alarm siren backup battery

The car behind my question is a 1999 S80 2.4 but I believe the root problem affects all P2 platform Volvos.

The backup batteries in the anti-theft alarm have a finite life. When the end of their life is approached they fail to take a charge with the consequence that the main car battery becomes flat due to a continuous attempt to recharge the alarm battery when the car is parked up for an extended period.

The problem is that the alarm sounder is a sealed unit that also includes the battery. Volvo "repair" is to replace the entire unit at s ( or $$$s no doubt too )

Is there a known hack to take the unit apart and replace with an equivalent consumer battery, please? I don't want to buy a second hand unit and then have that fail too.

TVM.

Re: Replacing alarm siren backup battery (Borehamovi)

Google found my answer, shared here for anyone else contemplating the same fix. Thanks due to vegasjetskier for documenting it so clearly.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.c...17479

I was going to try to find that for you My car has the same problem...

For others stopping by: (from what I remember) the consensus seems to be that the battery leaks and destroys and whole circuit board, so you need to buy a whole new unit, but it apparently doesn't need to be initiated by the dealer

Current: 2010 S40 Silver
      Previous: 2002 S60 T5M Gray
      Original: 1993 850 GLT Red