T5 Spark Plug Change Write-Up
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

T5 Spark Plug Change Write-Up

Tools:
      Towel/paper towel/saran wrap and rubber band. (see step 1)
      Flathead screwdriver/sockets for removing hose clamps
      10mm socket
      Spark plug socket
      Ratchet for sockets
      6-8" ratchet extension
      Torque wrench (22 ft*lb)
      Torx 27
      5 spark plugs (duh) I used IKH22 Denso Iridium
      anti-seize grease

1. Disconnect intake tube (over rear of engine) from hose that goes down behind engine so you can rotate the tube up (loosen hose clamp near MAF, may be different w/o K&N intake). Cover ends of intake tubes with towel/paper towel/saran wrap and a rubber band so you don't drop anything in them.

2. Remove plastic engine cover (2 pieces) - Torx 27

3. Prep spark plugs by putting a bit of anti-seize on the threads. It's easier to do them all at once than as you need a plug.

4. 10mm socket - remove plug coil pack bolt. Pull coil pack up, may take a bit of force and wiggling.

5. Using ratchet/torque wrench with extension and spark plug socket, remove old spark plug and replace with new. Torque to 30 n*m (22 ft*lb).

6. Reinstall coil pack and bolt it down

7. Reinstall cover, intake, check all hose/tube connections.

I found it convenient to use a combination of a standard-sized 3/8" ratchet and my 3/8" torque wrench when I wanted to either get a bunch of turns in quick (ratchet) or break the old plug out or torque it in (torque wrench). I put the 10mm socket on yet another ratchet (1/4" drive) with a 2-3" extension for the coil pack bolts.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice! Thanks for this...sticky perhaps?

What's the recommended mileage for replacement on a stock engine?

Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

I PM'd Tom about stickying this. I know there's already a write-up in the sticky, but I looked at it and it seemed to have a lot of discussion in it, not a strict "write-up."
      I forget the recommended plug change interval, but it was in a booklet that came in my car.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: (mattdoc)

Looks good.

I'll add a suggestion that after removing the plastic cover (exposing the coil packs), you clean the top of the head carefully with compressed air and/or a shop vac before removing the coil packs. Quite a bit of debris can collect in there, and it can end up in the cylinders easily when the coils and plugs are out.

The anti-seize is a good idea, to prevent the plug from sticking in the threads later. But, don't go nuts (the amount you used is good), and don't overtorque! The material serves as a lubricant, affecting torque readings.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: T5 Spark Plug Change Write-Up (mattdoc)

Anyone want to provide a similar write-up for the 2.4i? The job is the same, but getting to the plugs requires removing a manifold, and exposing different stuff. Pictures would be important.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Re: T5 Spark Plug Change Write-Up (tmtalpey)

Ill be doing that soon. ^
      2010 C30 |1|2|3| Elevate:IC+Hard Piping,Engine Mount,Rear Sway Bar|K&N Intake Pipe|ViVA Silicone Intake Hose & CBV|Ferrita Exhaust|EST Downpipe|Shark Stage III Tune|GoVo ECU Spacer
      1997 850 T-5 Wagon | TME Exhaust | IPD Intake | Snabb Turbo Inlet Pipe
      Previous: 2007 S40 |1|2|3| Visit me at GoVo Engineering!

Re: T5 Spark Plug Change Write-Up (mattdoc)

FOI(for our information) How much were the plugs?
      2010 C30 |1|2|3| Elevate:IC+Hard Piping,Engine Mount,Rear Sway Bar|K&N Intake Pipe|ViVA Silicone Intake Hose & CBV|Ferrita Exhaust|EST Downpipe|Shark Stage III Tune|GoVo ECU Spacer

I don't know if 2.4i engines use the same plugs as T5s, but they were 7.25 a piece from partsgeek.com. I also got an activated carbon cabin air filter from there for 26. Shipping was 7.

Re: (mattdoc)

Good write up!

Jason, make sure to take lots of pics for us other 2.4i guys!

At how many miles should be check / change our spark plugs???

2005 S40 T5 - M66 - Silver w/ Off Black T-Tec - OBX 3" DP - EST Strut Bar - Auto Meter Boost Gauge - Premium Audio

SOLD -2005 S40 2.4i

Thanks for the write up.

Re: (s40boy)

Quote, originally posted by s40boy »
      Good write up!

Jason, make sure to take lots of pics for us other 2.4i guys!

At how many miles should be check / change our spark plugs???

I figure 50 or 60k. ill probably do it at the 52.5 service

Bought the plugs from the dealer, $41 for 5. pregapped OEM. They are different for the 2.4i also.

Re: (sanatarium)

Sana, I was counting on your 2.4i spark plug write-up but it seems from another thread your only at 37K and you're not doing that until 52.5k? Just wondering, I might have to tackle this myself.

BTW I ordered the OEM plugs for $25 at parts.com. I'm also counting on them being pre-gapped, but how would you check using the dial when the volvo plugs have the three "prongs". I guess I'll just have to go with it.

Modified by KDog at 5:36 PM 4-30-2009

2005 S40 2.4i manual | OEM body kit | ipd RSB

Re: (KDog)

Nope, the three-pronged plugs aren't adjustable.

Do they use those on the 2.4i? You might want to confirm you got the right ones.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Re: (tmtalpey)

I don't see why the three-pronged plugs wouldn't be the right ones. I used part # 30650843 OEM Volvo/Denso. That is what is also listed on IPD as non-turbo.
      2005 S40 2.4i manual | OEM body kit | ipd RSB

Re: (Veefifty T5AWD)

I took the Fords OEM's Out @ 17,500 , but - I'm sure they will last a long.

Re: (KDog)

Quote, originally posted by KDog »
      I used part # 30650843 OEM Volvo/Denso. That is what is also listed on IPD as non-turbo.

Great, thanks for the part number.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Right before I sold my S40 T5 AWD the dealer did a 30K service but I did a number of things myself so I limited what they could charge me for. I guess as a way to get back some money they "decided" to change my spark plugs at 30K instead of at the 60K service. I got my car back and drove home and it had no pep...I was a bit baffled. I then looked over the service receipt and figured out that the tech had installed the spark plug kit for an NA!

Definitely a good thing to have this write-up so people can do spark plugs themselves.

98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | Beüst tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

With a lot more spark plugs claiming to have better and better heat to their spark, does anyone have any good experience with non-OEM plugs?

Also, anyone have experience with aftermarket ignition coils?

Thanks,
      Dustin

('99 T5)

Re: (Techanic)

I bough iridium spark plugs and to be quite honest, I can't say I felt a difference over stock. They were the nicest ones at Pepboys, and I think they were only like $6.99 each. Changed them at 45K miles.
      2004.5 S40 T5 | K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake | SharpHID 55W 5000K HID | Interior LED conversion (mostly)

How do i know what spark plugs to buy.....?
      i want to do them now that i hit 40k .....
      The car feels kinda slugish .....
      S40 T5

Re: (jdsr917)

The people at Pepboys looked it up in their computer. There was some disagreement on the forums over the exact model number, but the ones I got from the store worked perfectly. Unfortunately, I didn't save the box, so I'm not exactly sure which I got, sorry.
      2004.5 S40 T5 | K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake | SharpHID 55W 5000K HID | Interior LED conversion (mostly)

Re: (LennyQ)

That's What the NGK's Cost - If You Installed NGK's ?

Better Check - The Part Number will be One You Work Order-List .

The NGK's are 3/4 " Reach Plugs - Oh, Boy Here We go Again !

Also LennyQ has the 2004.5 Volvo T5 Interested to See If His Head as the
      Depth Of Our Heads ?

Is there a recommended torque setting for the coil pack bolt?

Coil Pack Bolt , Yes there is a Tq. setting on just about everything , but Snug is Good .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Great write up! Came in handy when replacing my spark plugs. I went with the Densos as well. I'm not sure if it's the fresh plugs, or the fact that the plugs in this car don't look like they were replaced in a while (I've only had this particular S40 for 9 months), but I'm definitely noticing a bit of a difference.

OK ... so I attempted to take off the engine cover for the spark plugs, but could NOT figure how to get the turbo air flow pipe loose. I loosened the O-clamps from both ends and the bolt from the backside of the pipe, but COULD NOT figure how to loosen/remove the bolt mounted to the side of the engine. Without at least loosening/removing, I can't get enough "play" to jockey the back, right-hand side of the engine cover to clear the spark plugs/wiring. Will I have to remove the battery and battery housing just to get at that darn bolt ... or am I missing a "trick"?!

Don't sweat it.

There is no need to remove both ends of the turbo air flow pipe. Facing the engine, remove the 10mm bracket bolt that is located on the rear in the middle of the pipe.
      Then loosen the large hose clamp that is closest to you (did I mention to stand at the front of the engine?). Once this is very loose you may easily push the pleated section of the hose off of the hard rubber hose it is sitting over. The trick is to get the hose clamp real loose. Don't drop the clamp, let it rest over the now open tube. You'll have lots of room to work if you only loosen it.

A couple other things......I always give the scads of Torx 27 a couple shot's of PB Blaster a day or so before I try to remove them . These are steel bolts in an aluminum block and the way they sit on top (and inside) of the plastic cover on the engine, they tend to freeze into the head (all 5 cyl Vvos).

When you re-install these, put anti-seize (I use Marvel Mystery Oil because I am always looking for excuses to use it) on the threads and only snug them up. It's between 7 and 10 ft lbs max and more like 7.....same as the 10mm coil pack bolts. Snug is plenty.

I agree with the suggestion to clean off the top of the motor after the cover is off and BEFORE the plugs are pulled. I did mine the other day and found a nice pile of bird seed. I have got to stop feeding the birds, and mice. Use a shop vac.
      I also do one plug at a time so that I don't have the entire engine open and wires all over the place. Your choice....
      The plug torque is 22.5...again I use Marvel on the threads. Anti- seize tends to give bogus torque readings...especially if you use too much.

I do plugs about every 35 to 45K or when it feels like it needs it. If you use Champions you want to do 25 to 35.

Boy do these motors run sweetly with new plugs. I did the plugs on my V70 the other night and the plugs that I removed were the nicest looking plugs I've ever pulled from a car...perfect combustion...

One further note....the plug gap on the T5 is .027 if I recall. Better a bit tight than loose in my book. ALWAYS check the gaps. The Bosh plugs that I bought came through gapped at .03...all of them.

I bought plugs here and saved a wad:
      www.rmeuropean.com
      dese, dem, ain't, them there, that there, you's and like that
      94 940, 97 850 T5, 99 V70 GLT, 2005 V50 AWD T5

Hey I Just Installed New - Cover Hold Down Bolts got 8 pcs. from IPD they were Nice Dark Gray - Better Hard Coat - then what came form the Factory .
      Even thou I had kept the Originals ones Clean , and I added a Top Coat a few yrs. back - they finally succumbed to the Elements , as those pocket those are in just love to hold
      on to Crap .

About $3.00 Bucks - as I was ordering some Coil Packs anyway .

Last edited by EngTech; 09-04-2011 at 10:33 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by mgc View Post
      There is no need to remove both ends of the turbo air flow pipe. Facing the engine, remove the 10mm bracket bolt that is located on the rear in the middle of the pipe.
      Then loosen the large hose clamp that is closest to you (did I mention to stand at the front of the engine?). Once this is very loose you may easily push the pleated section of the hose off of the hard rubber hose it is sitting over. The trick is to get the hose clamp real loose. Don't drop the clamp, let it rest over the now open tube. You'll have lots of room to work if you only loosen it.

A couple other things......I always give the scads of Torx 27 a couple shot's of PB Blaster a day or so before I try to remove them . These are steel bolts in an aluminum block and the way they sit on top (and inside) of the plastic cover on the engine, they tend to freeze into the head (all 5 cyl Vvos).

When you re-install these, put anti-seize (I use Marvel Mystery Oil because I am always looking for excuses to use it) on the threads and only snug them up. It's between 7 and 10 ft lbs max and more like 7.....same as the 10mm coil pack bolts. Snug is plenty.

I agree with the suggestion to clean off the top of the motor after the cover is off and BEFORE the plugs are pulled. I did mine the other day and found a nice pile of bird seed. I have got to stop feeding the birds, and mice. Use a shop vac.
      I also do one plug at a time so that I don't have the entire engine open and wires all over the place. Your choice....
      The plug torque is 22.5...again I use Marvel on the threads. Anti- seize tends to give bogus torque readings...especially if you use too much.

I do plugs about every 35 to 45K or when it feels like it needs it. If you use Champions you want to do 25 to 35.

Boy do these motors run sweetly with new plugs. I did the plugs on my V70 the other night and the plugs that I removed were the nicest looking plugs I've ever pulled from a car...perfect combustion...

One further note....the plug gap on the T5 is .027 if I recall. Better a bit tight than loose in my book. ALWAYS check the gaps. The Bosh plugs that I bought came through gapped at .03...all of them.

I bought plugs here and saved a wad:
      www.rmeuropean.com
      Thanks a million! That's exactly what I did and worked like a charm. I replaced the spark plugs on both of my Volvos: V50 and C30, both T5. I am happy that I saved quite a few hundreds of dollars with the job.

Regards, CacaMaca

Can someone confirm whether those plugs associated with the part number 30751805 are indeed the same exact plugs but just in a pack of 6 instead of 5 (normally associated with the part number 30751806). btw, I think its ironic the part# ending in 5 contains 6 plugs while the one ending in 6 contains 5 plugs!!!

The plugs looks identical (see picture way below, 2nd picture) and the gap seem the same to the eye though I could be totally wrong without having it measured (I don't want to open the package yet). Are they indeed the same exact spark plugs just packaged in a different number?

Why I ask:
      I got into a confusion of part number again . . . I've got to stop doing that, LOL

So we're talking about spark plugs for a T5 2005:

The last time I changed plugs I got these:

I wanted to change them again because of bad gas mileage. So I went to order 30751806 except I didn't have the info on hand when going through the order through Ebay Tasca part.
      Next thing you know I look at my picture and though for a moment I picked the wrong one. The picture can actually be miss read . . . go figure . . . so I contact Tasca to let them know I may I made a mistake to the order and I think it's the part # 30751805 (I was correct the first time and wrong the second time)
      Tasca replied and asked me for my VIN# which I then provided.

They ended-up sending me the 30751805 which contains 6 plugs instead of 5 (of-course as it is for the 6cyl turbo V70/XC70/S80)
      I put an old spark plug over it to compare.

Last edited by TG; 10-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Check those numbers stamped into the metal portion. The Denso chart shows the same plug for both engines so I think you are good to go.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 10-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

They are not the same but the one I have on hand are 8yrs old. They're the original one I hand replaced a while back...

old: 8658474
      new: 30751468
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC | intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |IPD front end-links |Focus tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
      They are not the same but the one I have on hand are 8yrs old. They're the original one I hand replaced a while back...

old: 8658474
      new: 30751468
      Yes, that's an old Volvo part number so no help really. I edited the post above... The Denso chart shows the same plug for both engines so I think you are good to go.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      Yes, that's an old Volvo part number so no help really. I edited the post above... The Denso chart shows the same plug for both engines so I think you are good to go.
      That's what I thought from looking at them since they really look the same.
      I think I feel confident enough that I'll open the package and when I'll remove the spark plugs currently in the car I'll be able to check those part # and see if they match...
      Thanks again!

I guess I'll have an extra one . . . you never know when one might need an extra plug . . . Ha haaaa
      Last edited by TG; 10-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Actually if someone had a newer plug on hand from a recent swap and could double check that part # on the side of the spark plug itself (stamped in the metal) that would be great.
      Otherwise I'll just have to start the job and see what in my car... it's not a huge deal, just an inconvenience.

I was looking at Bosch web site and they don't point to the same plug. I'm afraid the plug could be the same but with a different gap (?) . . . I've never adjusted the gap on plugs nor would I feel very confident I'd get it factory right where it is perfect for a smooth running engine

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast