Trailer hitch for XC70
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Trailer hitch for XC70

I need to install a trailer hitch on my new XC70. I need a good one as I use the Volvo to put my 2,800lb boat (3,400lb with trailer) in/out of the water. As it is over the towing capability of the car by 100lb I don't travel around with the boat, I just bring it to the ramp and back once a year (about 2km away only).

I don't want to spend $900 on a Volvo OEM hitch as I can have a decent one for about $300. I was looking at the standard, ready made HiddenHitch/Reese/DrawTite hitch made for the XC70 and they look fine. I had a Reese on my previous 2 Volvos that did the job OK.
      What do you guys have? How do they fit and look? Did anyone had a custom one made on your car, I beleive custom hitch are a bit cheaper to install here. I am basically looking for experiences from other V70/XC70 owners and for pictures if you have them. Thanks.

About the electrical for the trailer, has anyone done a DIY electrical install? I used to do it myself many years ago but I fear the electrical systems on our new Volvos are much more complex now. Hitch shop charges $100 for it

Thanks for sharing your experience here.

Re: Trailer hitch for XC70 (beavenx5)

Great question... been wondering the same myself as I might want to get a hitch so I can mount a bike rack on it.

What's the biggest differences b/w the OEM Volvo and other brands, besides cost? Are there some features that the Volvo one has others don't? Sturdier?

Re: Trailer hitch for XC70 (Lotus99)

Quote, originally posted by Lotus99 »
      What's the biggest differences b/w the OEM Volvo and other brands, besides cost? Are there some features that the Volvo one has others don't? Sturdier?

The OEM Volvo Tow Bar does not look sturdier than my old Reese Hitch. Plus I don't really like how it looks. I have never seen it for real. This is the reason I am asking here.
      Here is the OEM hitch for North America: http://vccs.volvocars.se/acces...7.htm

As for mounting bikes, I have always mounted mine on the roof. It is a little more difficult for my wife but I got her a full carbon bike 2 years ago that weight nothing. She removes the wheel and can mount it on the roof by herself. I find them more out of the way on the roof. I also got the Volvo cargo bike rack to put 2 bikes in the trunk if we are only the 2 of us without the kids. My road bike fits in the trunk, not my mountain bike .

Quote, originally posted by beavenx5 »

The OEM Volvo Tow Bar does not look sturdier than my old Reese Hitch. Plus I don't really like how it looks. I have never seen it for real. This is the reason I am asking here.

Here is the OEM hitch for North America: http://vccs.volvocars.se/acces...7.htm

Hmm... Does the rear bumper need to be cut or is there a cut out you pop out or something? That's what it looks like almost from this pic:

I don't have the car here at work to check.

And this little gadget, which I'm sure is expensive, sounds pretty neat actually, and I don't think you don't need the OEM hitch for it, as it probably just installs into your standard 2" hitch.

What do you think about it? Are there aftermarket hitches that also lean so you can open your hatch without taking the bikes off?

It says:

"When you need to open the cargo space, the unit can easily be released by pressing a pedal and tilting backwards. An integrated gas spring counterbalances the weight."

Hmm... Does the rear bumper need to be cut or is there a cut out you pop out or something? That's what it looks like almost from this pic:

I don't have the car here at work to check.

I just looked at my car. There is no removeable panel. It looks to me like it would need to be cut. When I looked under the car, I could not even see the mounting points for the hitch. There are two big mufflers and an awful lot of heat shielding under there.

I also want a hitch. Despite the cost, I'll probably go OEM to get the wiring harness hookup.

There was another thread on hitches a while back. IIRC, no matter what brand of hitch, a Vida hookup and software download is necessary to get the wiring harness working.

Re: Trailer hitch for XC70

OK, I just met with a local trailer hitch guy about installation on a XC70. As I though, Hidden Hitch, Drawtite and Reese owned by the same company. Most of the time, you can only get one of these brand for a specific car.

Our Volvo V70/XC70 has only the Hidden Hitch available (model #87484). Cost for the hitch, electricity and installation is $546 and no programming of the car is required. Removal and minor trimming of the bumper fascia is required. We both (trailer hich guy an me) looked at the installation instructions for our car and it looks like the bumper trimming is lower and less extensive than the OEM installation.

Here is the link to the Hidden Hitch installation guide: http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fit...4.pdf

Wow, that seems like a pretty good price, all in, especially if he has to take a bumper cover off. So that's compared to $900 all in, including electrical, from Volvo?

Is it possible to skip the electrical work when you install it, if you don't have any intention of pulling trailers? I just want to pop a bike rack on it for now.

How much would you save now, vs. how much would you have to pay later to do it? I wonder if for the savings, it's not worth skipping it only to have to add it later at more cost, if they need to pull everything apart again.

Take some pics please (I'm sure you will ) if you go ahead with it.

Well I talk to a friend about it. He said that $546 is outrageous (its their high season) . He is ordering it directly from the local distributor (about $225). Labour is 70minutes according to installation instruction (about $60 with my mechanic) and I hope to get the wire harness for about $100. The price for the electrical price is to be confirmed....

Although the price I was quoted was for everything, I don't think there is a significant price difference if you get the electrical done later instead of doing it all at once. It is there busy season now.

I just ordered the parts only and I should get the hitch in 7-12 days as it is not in stock locally at the moment. I also advised my mechanic that he will have to install it as soon as I get it. I am lucky as he does not mind when I bring him parts to install that he does not supply.
      If everything goes well, I may have it installed by May15th. If not, I will borrow my neibour's F250 to put the boat in the water this year.

I will take pictures as soon as it is installed.

Although the price I was quoted was for everything, I don't think there is a significant price difference if you get the electrical done later instead of doing it all at once. It is there busy season now.

So your suggestion is if one is getting the hitch to just get the wiring done at the same time, or do it later if you don't need it now?

For example, pay $600 now with electrical, or $500 without, and later pay $100 for electrical only. In a case like that, I wouldn't bother installing the electrical now since the cost would be the same or slightly more later.

Hi BX5,

Note the colour combo of your 70, any chance of some pics exterior with the interior showing I was thinking of getting a ruby red with expresso for my next but didnt think to think of black with expresso??

cheers
      Hatdriver

Re: Pictures (Hatdriver)

Hi Hatdriver

I beleive I had promised you these pictures a few weeks ago... Sorry I forgot about them . It is my wife's car so as soon as she gets home tonight I will do it, if it still rains tonight, it will be tomorrow morning. The car might not be fresly washed but it will give you a good idea.

Sorry....

I got my Hidden Hitch installed today by my mechanic. He did a perfect job, nicely installed with minimal cut of the bumper cover under the car. You can't even see the cut unless you crawl under the car. Here are a few pictures for the ones considering the Hidden Hich over the OEM one.

If you are interested, here are the price I got for the hitch:
      Hidden Hitch #87484: about $200 (to be confirmed)
      Electrical relays and wiring: about $40 (to be confirmed)
      installation: 2 hours ($90)

I am still missing the actual tongue and ball but I don't think it is realy expensive. It was a little more trouble to get the parts first and then get it installed by my mechanic but i saved quite a lot compared to the $546+tx I was quote by the local hitch shop or compared to the dealer OEM hitch.

I like the Hidden Hich much better than the Volvo one. It does fit better under the bumper than through it like the OEM. What do you think?

Looks great and thanks for the info! It'll come in handy when I decide to do mine.

Yours sits at the same height as the OEM one too? I don't know why for the OEM one they chose to go thru the cover... can`t see any advantage to it.

As you say, it's not even possible to tell he's cut the bumper cover at all. Did he have to take the bumper cover off?

PS Wow, your mechanic charges you $45 an hour?! Lucky you!

Yes he did have to take the bumper cover off completely. This was the hasdest part of the install.

My mechanic is a good friend of a friend of mine. I see him socially on occation also. He works out of his house (has a lift in his garage) so has minimal ovehead. He used to work for a Volvo dealer 12 years ago, this is how he started to work on my car. Even before he started his part time business in mechanic. He sometimes charges me $45/ hrs, sometime $50, sometime $55. I think his regular rate is $55.

I am considering buying the 09 XC70 and the dealer has yet to find out the answer for me.

I use the Bruno lift for my power wheelchair. Link to Bruno's website: http://www.bruno.com/asl-250.html

The lift weighs 98 pounds and the power chair weighs about 125 pounds. The lift swings away to access the rear hatch. This means that I have over 200 pounds hanging about 2 feet off the back of the car. I can put it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Saturn Vue and I don't even feel any difference. I used it on the back of a Lincoln Town Car and the handling was sloppy even with air shocks.

Do you know what tongue weight can the XC70 handle without special shocks?

I need a class III hitch like yours if it is going to work for me. if you have the time to take a measurement for me, it would help me out. If you look at the side of the XC70, does the hitch stick out beyond the bumper? If you have time to measure, how much clearance is there?

Thanks so much for your time.

Re: Trailer hitch for XC70 (ski2moro)

Quote, originally posted by ski2moro »
      I am considering buying the 09 XC70 and the dealer has yet to find out the answer for me.

I use the Bruno lift for my power wheelchair. Link to Bruno's website: http://www.bruno.com/asl-250.html

The lift weighs 98 pounds and the power chair weighs about 125 pounds. The lift swings away to access the rear hatch. This means that I have over 200 pounds hanging about 2 feet off the back of the car. I can put it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Saturn Vue and I don't even feel any difference. I used it on the back of a Lincoln Town Car and the handling was sloppy even with air shocks.

Do you know what tongue weight can the XC70 handle without special shocks?

I need a class III hitch like yours if it is going to work for me. if you have the time to take a measurement for me, it would help me out. If you look at the side of the XC70, does the hitch stick out beyond the bumper? If you have time to measure, how much clearance is there?

Thanks so much for your time.

If you follow this link to the installation sheet for my HiddenHitch; http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fit...4.pdf you will find a schetch of how the hich is mounted in relation to the bumper (fascia). The hitch does not stick beyond the bumper but is like 2-3 inches inside. I can measure exactly tonight if you need.
      According to that same link, you can put 400lb of weight on the tongue.
      I won't be able to tell you how the car behave with 250lb on the tongue as I will only tow my boat for less than 1km next week and will do it slowly. The max towing capability for the XC70 is 3300lb and my boat/trailer is 3500lb: not a good test.

Re: Trailer hitch for XC70 (ski2moro)

Ski2moro: I will go through Saratoga Spring late on May 29th on my way to visit my brother in Johnstown. Let me know if you need to see it in person.

Well, I measured the distance between the end of the square (under the bumper) and the edge of the bumper: it is about 2.7 inches inside the bumper.
      I hope this is what you were looking for.

Hi Beaven, I just got a coupon in the mail for 15% off Volvo accessories, so I gave my dealer a call to see what they'd charge. The hitch after discount would come to $240, but they want $310 for labour, so the total (and this isn't with any electrical harness) would be $550 plus taxes. So the price for me thru the dealer might be ok if a hitch shop is going to charge about the same.

But to decide on which is the best option, regardless of cost, the specs on the OEM one say:

Max. towing capacity: 1500 kg/ 3300 lbs
      Towball diameter: 2" Class 2
      Max. ball pressure: 75 kg/ 165 lbs

Your hidden hitch document says:

Max. towing capacity: 1814 kg/ 4000 lbs
      Towball diameter: I assume 2"? What about its class?
      Max. ball pressure: 181 kg/ 400 lbs

So is the hidden hitch one just a sturdier hitch? What is its class?

Would make sense based on the numbers above it sounds like for me to get the hidden hitch one, even if the price is the same, no? On the other hand, the Maximum Trailer Weight the car can handle is 1,500 kg anyway, so it's a moot point maybe and possibly overkill?

EDIT: LOL! Never mind... I called a local hitch shop after the above post, and they sell the hidden hitch one you have for $230 plus install of $120, for a total of $350, so I think I'll be going that route! They said it's a class 3 hitch.

Modified by Lotus99 at 11:08 AM 5-22-2009

EDIT: LOL! Never mind... I called a local hitch shop after the above post, and they sell the hidden hitch one you have for $230 plus install of $120, for a total of $350, so I think I'll be going that route! They said it's a class 3 hitch.

You are correct, it is a class 3 hitch but the car is not supposed to handle more than 1,500kg so no need for a class 3.
      You got a pretty good price. Your local hich shop is not a theif like mine. He wanted $550+tx for mine including the electrical ($35 parts and 1/2hr labour more). I told him to take a hike... and hope I will never need him.

The hidden hitch looks pretty good under the bumper, better than OEM I beleive.

You dealer gave you a good deal also. I beleive mine wanted significantly more than that when I considered using my Costco $1,250 equipment allowance to get it.

You got a pretty good price. Your local hich shop is not a theif like mine. He wanted $550+tx for mine including the electrical ($35 parts and 1/2hr labour more). I told him to take a hike... and hope I will never need him.

I'm not getting the harness at this point, not sure if I was clear on that. I don't foresee pulling a trailer anytime in the near future, and since there's no savings really to do it now vs. later, I've skipped it.

I asked out of curiousity what it would cost to add the electrical harness, and he didn't give me an exact quote, but IIRC, he said around $60 - $90 for the harness, plus $100 or so for the install. So it might cost somewhere around $500 to $550 in the end with the harness, which then wouldn't be too far off from your own local hitch shop. Just an FYI.

Thanks for the offer.

I decided to get the XC90 after the dealer gave me a price I couldn't refuse.

Have a safe trip.

Re: Towing the boat with ease

Well I towed the boat down from the cottage last week-end using the Volvo. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the XC70 handled the haul. Mutch better than my previous 2000 V70XC.

It was the first time I was taking the boat out of the water with the XC70, I had to test the car... This time of the year, the water level is quite low, making the task quite a challenge. The car was fully in the water (at door level) in very soft sand, and the trailer was in quite soft bottom. The car took the boat out of the water like a champ with verry little spin: each wheel spinned for 1 or 1.5 turn max, one at the time, before getting out of there. The old Volvo would have never make it... I used to borrow a F150 for this every fall.

I needed to bring it down to the city (for some small work) so we emptied the boat as much as possible including an almost empty tank of gas, no equipment (life jackets, ropes, safety equipment, etc...) and even removed the wakeboard tower completely. Bare like that, I beleive the boat and trailer was about 3,000lbs, a little under the 1,500kg (3,300lbs) max trailer weight for the car.
      We came down on the small country roard at about 80-90km/h and then on the highway at 100km/h (60mph) and managed to get a fuel consumption 14.8 l/100km (15.5 MPG). The car handled the task with surprising ease.
      We will bring it back up to the cottage next week-end with the Volvo, even if my friend offered us his F150...

Re: Towing the boat with ease (beavenx5)

The car was fully in the water (at door level) in very soft sand, and the trailer was in quite soft bottom.

How high was the water? Didn't you worry it would enter the car?

PS Wakeboard tower... nice. What boat you got? A friend's got a Mastercraft with the big tower and lots of speakers on it, with the wakeboard clamps that rotate 180 degrees, and it rocks!

Re: Towing the boat with ease (Lotus99)

The water level was at the bottom of the doors (front and rear) and only very little water came in when I openned the driver door (from a little wave). Water level was definately above the floor pan. I tried not to back-up the car that far but I was not able to get the boat on the trailer otherwise. The entire operation lasted about 45 seconds....

My boat is a Mastercraft X5: it's a ski boat (engine mounted in the center) with the look of a wakeboard boat (decals, tower and ballasts). I am an avid skier and ski in the slalom course, I could not use a real wakeboard boat; but my son prefers to wakeboard.
      As for the tower speakers, I wanted to get some this year but my wife put some sense into me (they are right...sometimes). Our lake is fairly small (4km long by 1 km large) and many lakeshore owners hates wakeboard boats. They would love to get them banned or at least banned the wakeboard ballasts...I don't want to give them more ammunition... Our kids are 12 and 14 and we already tell them almost every day to lower the volume on the boat radio as the sound travels a lot more over the water. It would only be worst with tower speakers and with the teenage years ahead. As cool as tower speakers could be, they would not help us remain friends with our neighbours...

Here is a picture of the boat taken last week-end just before taking it out of the water. I was in my friend's Malibu taking action shots of each others...