What did you do to your car today?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 236 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

What did you do to your car today?

So, many of us seem to work on our cars a lot. What did you do to your car today?

Me, I shampooed my carpets, and cleaned all the leather, took my front seats out and cleaned and tightened everything back up, and took my front doors back apart to tighten up the speakers. I replaced the factory speakers with Alpines about 3 weeks ago. I blew them in 2 days and replaced them with Infinity reference speakers. What an improvement! But maybe too much treble in the front now. Next weekend or the one after, I plan to replace my antenna mast, the upper engine mount and seafoam the engine.

So what did you do today?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: What did you do to your car today? (ViriiGuy)

Hmm, let's see, I drove it to the plant nursery to PU some new plants!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Not today, but I'm going to be doing some work on the car in the coming week.

-Replacing power steering fluid reservoir and the fluid itself.

-Cleaning the coolant reservoir and replacing the coolant level sensor.

Eventually I need to fix my problem with the camshaft position actuator. I'm not sure if the unit itself has failed or if the unit's wires are fried.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

putting on my newly patched 17'' gold canisto.... hit a nail last apparently

so this is what i've been looking at since i put 3 of them on, lol.

all ready for carlisle.....almost!!!!

Re: (ecbsykes)

Not exactly today.. but I have following jobs in the process:

- timing belt + waterpump + tensioner + all pulleys /done
      - serpentine belt + tensioner + all pulleys/ tbd
      - injectors ultrasonic cleaned, calibrated - got back - will install today
      - OEM fuel filter - tbd
      - front axles - were remanufactured, install - tbd will replace fluid as well
      - engine hydrolic mounts -tbd
      - replace lower cushion/skin on driver seat -tbd

On "spare" car: install OEM ecodes when XPEL kit finall will be delivered ("Brown" sent the package to WA instead MA... )

EDIT: forgot couple things
      XC grill is almost on the way here - for my car
      Pass side mirror with working heater element - for son's car - in the mail..

Modified by Papa_Kirlo at 3:52 PM 5-9-2009

06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile

Prior to this weekend, I replaced my spark plugs.. twice. First with NGK Platinum's, then again the next week with Bosh Copper Cores.
      My mechanic replaced my drivers side control arm bushings. I also replaced my air filter and scrubbed the engine bay clean.

I also need to figure out how to properly aim my head lights. Been fuddling with them for 8 months and they still are not "perfect"

T5power, those gold rims are sharp looking. My poor Perfos are beat to hell. The chrome is starting to chip off them too now.

Re: (ViriiGuy)

Today I drove it with the transmission in 2nd gear to keep the revs over 3k while I drove the back roads to my daughter's soccer game. Lots of fun.

Last week, I did the 90k service, 11k miles late. New plugs, filters, cap, rotors, etc.. Next week I'm using my friend's lift to install the Eurosport cat-back exhaust sitting in my garage. Hopefully, I'll find the time to install all the parts I've ordered from D.W. Volvo: New tailgate and windshield trim, new mudflaps, new lower grills for the R bumper, and a new factory foglight kit.

Edit: Damn, I forgot about the IPD sway bars that have been sitting in the box for 6 months!

1998 V70 T5: H&R springs, Koni Yellows, IPD sways, EST exhaust, Porsche Cayenne wheels.
      2010 VW GTI: Blizzaks on 17's, Hankook V12s on 18's.
      1989 VW Cabriolet: Project car. 2.0 ABA with balanced internals, ported big-valve head. 9A 020 w/Peloquin diff. Scirocco 16v suspension and brakes.

Re:

Today:
      - I decided not to install euro rails on the T5
      - debating if I should try to start to replace the SAS and check valve this evening and end up with a mess for mother's day morning
      - sway bars also sitting in a box, debating if the install should be attempted on a set of ramps.

Re: Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote »
      ...debating if the install should be attempted on a set of ramps.

I started to do the exhaust the same way, but the claustrophobia refreshed my memory about my buddy's hydraulic lift.

1998 V70 T5: H&R springs, Koni Yellows, IPD sways, EST exhaust, Porsche Cayenne wheels.
      2010 VW GTI: Blizzaks on 17's, Hankook V12s on 18's.
      1989 VW Cabriolet: Project car. 2.0 ABA with balanced internals, ported big-valve head. 9A 020 w/Peloquin diff. Scirocco 16v suspension and brakes.

Nothing yet, but I have to replace my window switch. Driver side button is all loose and about to fall off.

Re: (MisterDeeds)

I replaced the SAS pump with a used one I bought on Volvospeed for $50. The one I took out was not full of water. Didn't do the check valve though.
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD for the '98 plus mod money.

Checked oil- nothing else really needs to be done at this point. I am between fixes at the moment.

Waxed car last weekend- nicest looking 10 yr old car in the neighborhood!

Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Re: What did you do to your car today? (Wayne T5)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne T5 »
      nicest looking 10 yr old car in the neighborhood!

I hear you there Folks still ask me all the time if the car is new and are in disbelief when I tell them it is a 99.

Re: (pelicanflyt)

Replaced the SAS this evening. Not too difficult, just a PITA pulling everything out of the way

Now the check valve looks interesting, back over by the turbo - what size are the two bolts, 10mm? It looks like it might be a little tricky getting a socket in there.

Installed NA cams.

Mock up Porsche 996 calipers on the back, with S60R rotors

Remove center driveshaft - in preparation for dyno @ Carlisle (no AWD dynno :-(

Help Ben reset his NA cams to 3ºexh 0ºint

1. Put the Yellow back in the showroom
      2. Stopped by the body shop to check on the T5M (minor fender bender in shop parking lot by customer - as I watched!)
      3. Dropped a K & N in the NA
      4. Washed the 244 for its weekly 80 mile round trip cruise to visit & cook for Grandma (& pulled a few weeds for Mother's Day!)

...just another day in 'Volvoland'

4 Volvos, 1 Mazdaspeed 3, 1 Mag SRT8, 1 M3, 1 crowded garage

Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »
      Replaced the SAS this evening. Not too difficult, just a PITA pulling everything out of the way

Now the check valve looks interesting, back over by the turbo - what size are the two bolts, 10mm? It looks like it might be a little tricky getting a socket in there.

From what I've read, they are 10mm. After reading these I decided my valve was working just fine. http://volvospeed.com/Repair/airpump1.php http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...st=80
      1998 V70 T5m @172k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, green injectors, etc., 50% E85

Took the rear hub over to the machine shop for 330 BBK brakets to get made
      Waxed the coupe
      Tranny flush in the 00R
      Timing belt in the 99R

And some other fun and drunking antics

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium 1998 V70T5M
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me
      Future Volvo Truck Project Cumming Soon

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »

A bad check valve is what causes the SAP to go bad, this MUST be replaced

Re: (JRL)

Going to attempt the check valve this morning, hopefully the stars are in alignment.

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

A bad check valve is what causes the SAP to go bad, this MUST be replaced

My old pump worked. It just was loud.

Sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster - attempted to get a wrench and socket on there no luck. Ran to Sears and picked up a couple 10mm wrenches, one with the built in socket the other when an adjustable/tilt head - we'll see if those work... after a little lunch

Serpentine belt is in
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile

Forget about me changing the damn check valve for now - no luck on breaking the bolts loose even after let sit with PB Blaster on them. I hate wasting time on somewhat simple repairs if the bolts would just break loose.

here's what i did today

1998 S70 T5M
      OBX, FMIC, NA TB + Ported IM, Homemade HD TCV, 3" fresh air pipe to turbo and short shift kit, brass shifter bushings, delrin shifter assembly bushings, HKS SSQV, IPD strut brace, Titans, R Bumper, Mookeeh BG

Pretty. Does that say "Bones"? Looks very much like a ProSport.

Well today I took off early from work to fix my 442 small evap leak code. I was fully expecting to have to take half of my evap system to find the problem. The whole job took only minutes It was just a cracked hose where it connects to the canister.

No more CEL

That's called a 'J" hose for future use

Cool thanks. I noticed when I first saw it, it looked like a J.

markymarks car

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium 1998 V70T5M
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me
      Future Volvo Truck Project Cumming Soon

I like the orange and silver wagon. I want an orange and white one, if I can't find a black one!

Today I replaced the cabin filter. The old one had been there since 2001. I put a charcoal activated one in. Maybe it will help a little with my allergies.

Tomorrow, if the weather holds up, I will replace the upper engine mount bushing. I got a two piece replacement so I won't need a press.

Yesterday a friend and I replaced the antenna mast that had been broken off. It was a worst case scenario and took a good long while to accomplish. Plus poor Peter had to get a couple stitches in his hand.

But hey! I have Radio again

Koni FSD's and Eibachs went on last Sunday.

I changed out the upper motor mount bushing yesterday. I replaced it with a 2 piece ABS bushing. Pretty easy job, except the bolt that came with the bushing was too thick to go thru the holes in the arm coming off the firewall. So I had to drill out the slots just a little bit.

But boy what a change. Shifting is smoother, acceleration seems snappier and braking even feels a little better. The old bushing was only holding on by a hair, as most of it had already worn/torn away. Before the swap the motor would move about 1.5 inches under operation in either direction. Now, maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I need to replace the firewall mount and the body mounts next. They are cracked as well.

*edit*
      In reference to the picture of Markymark's car with the hood up, what are you guys doing to make the hood open that far? Mine opens to maybe 65-70 degrees, but that one goes a full 90 degrees?

All Volvo hoods on 700/900 850/x70's open vertical.

If you look on your hood hinges, you will see a "tab" in the middle that the causes the hinge to lock at the lower angle. Grab the lower lip, and pull it downward on both hinges, you will then be able to open the hood to it's vertical postion.

Get the Volvo firewall torque mount. tThe new one is a revised stronger design.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 236 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast