SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Optima battery installed (Model 35)

15K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  JDS60R 
#1 ·
No wires modification required. Only needed some creativity in terms of getting the battery secured ( the base of OEM battery is a bit different). But anyone can do it. I paid $200 CAD and I am sure that I would pay a lot more for OEM.

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: Optima battery installed (Denis)

I'd like to see one crammed into a VR...
I needed a battery and had to go OEM

#7 ·
Re: Optima battery installed (redalrt)

Optima is smaller in size and I am sure it will fit into VR as well. The side battery holder in SR can be adjusted into 3 different positions. As I mentioned before it only requires some creativity.

#8 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Probably not too much weight savings, but you've got a much more reliable and solid battery.

Thumbs up on this one!

Hmm, my OEM was just tested after being in the car for six years. Still good to go.

#9 ·
Re: Optima battery installed (Denis)

I spoke to optima about a battery for the car and they say there is no OEM fit. They don't recommend putting their batteries in the car because there is no breather valve hook up to vent the sulfuric acid gases. I would be very careful with this install as it could cause problems with gas build up and corrosion.

#10 ·
Re: Optima battery installed (PMPN8EZ)

Quote, originally posted by PMPN8EZ »
I spoke to optima about a battery for the car and they say there is no OEM fit. They don't recommend putting their batteries in the car because there is no breather valve hook up to vent the sulfuric acid gases. I would be very careful with this install as it could cause problems with gas build up and corrosion.

And how does the OEM battery vent? Or is it built differently?

#11 ·

Optima is sealed, no need to vent.

#13 ·
Re: Optima battery installed (S60R1)

Quote, originally posted by S60R1 »

And how does the OEM battery vent? Or is it built differently?

If you look at the battery there is a breather valve on the side that a small hose to the outside of the car connects to

#15 ·
Re: Optima battery installed (Bender)

Quote, originally posted by Bender »

Optima is sealed, no need to vent.

Look at that battery in the photo posted on this link. It might be upside down but read the "Danger" fine print. Talks about venting gases.

The battery isn't sealed look at the Red top of that battery. There are 2 foam inserts and that is where the battery vents. They are gel batteries but still need to vent.

Call Optima tech support if you don't believe me. They will tell you they don't recommend you use these batteries in the trunk. As caustic gases can build up. Hey people still use them in the trunk but I bet you Optima won't warranty any thing that happens to the battery or your trunk.

#16 ·

...If it blows up, vented or not...its in the trunk anyway.

Closer to the gas tank than if it was under the hood though, with less protection in between. Does this guy need to worry?

#18 ·
I seriously doubt the battery will explode and eat through metal that quickly to get to the gasoline tank.

I've seen batteries exploded, it will eat through stuff but not in a split second where you won't get out of the vehicle to go WTF?

#19 ·

I seriously doubt the battery will explode and eat through metal that quickly to get to the gasoline tank.

I've seen batteries exploded, it will eat through stuff but not in a split second where you won't get out of the vehicle to go WTF?

lol that would be one hell of a "wtf?"

#20 ·

Look at that battery in the photo posted on this link. It might be upside down but read the "Danger" fine print. Talks about venting gases.

The battery isn't sealed look at the Red top of that battery. There are 2 foam inserts and that is where the battery vents. They are gel batteries but still need to vent.

Call Optima tech support if you don't believe me. They will tell you they don't recommend you use these batteries in the trunk. As caustic gases can build up. Hey people still use them in the trunk but I bet you Optima won't warranty any thing that happens to the battery or your trunk.

OMG THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING

#22 ·
Red Top > all batteries
Blue top > Red
Yellow > Blue

As soon as I get a car first thing to be changed is the batterie .

Wagon = Red
Coupe = Blue
OOVR = Yellow

you dont really need anything more then a red top but I run some extra asscories that 99% dont either .

Train horns
Dual Aircompressors
1000watts worth of amps
addition lights and LEDs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.