State by State License Plate Requirements
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

State by State License Plate Requirements

This is courtesy of Webhund! Thanks!

State by State Listing of License Plate Requirements:

Alabama
      If you live in Alabama, the “Heart of Dixie”, your state laws only require you to display one license plate on the rear of a passenger vehicle.

Alaska
      Alaska license plate laws require motor vehicles to display two license plates.

Arizona
      Only rear license plates are required for passenger vehicles in this Southwest state.

Arkansas
      The A's have it - Arkansas state law only requires passenger vehicles to display one official license plate, leaving the front free for a customized license plate.

California
      Currently, California law requires that all passenger vehicles have a front and rear license plate, but citizens are banding together in order to have the front license plate requirement revoked.

Colorado
      Like in California, there have been efforts in Colorado to repeal the law requiring a front plate. However, Colorado law still stipulates that all passenger vehicles display two plates.

Connecticut
      For passenger vehicles, Connecticut requires two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.

Delaware
      Lucky Delaware drivers are only required to post one license plate in the rear of their vehicle, leaving the front free for a customized novelty plate!

Florida
      Florida license plate laws require that the license plate be conspicuously displayed only on the rear of the car.

Georgia
      Georgia is another state which only requires one license plate, which must be prominently displayed on the back of a car.

Hawaii
      Hawaii license plate laws require two license plates on passenger vehicles – one on the front of the car and another to the rear.

Idaho
      Passenger cars in Idaho require two license plates, while motorcycles, tractors, and trailers only need to display one on the rear of the vehicle.

Illinois
      Illinois license plate laws require that vehicles display one license plate on the front, and one on the rear.

Indiana
      While Indiana license plate laws stipulate exactly where a license plate goes (on the front for motorcycles, trailers, and semi-trailers; the rear for all other automobiles) state laws only require one plate for residents in the Hoosier state.

Iowa
      License plate laws in Iowa state that all vehicles must display two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.

Kansas
      All vehicles that are registered in Kansas are issued at least one license plate, and Kansas state law requires only one license plate to be displayed at the rear of the vehicle.

Kentucky
      Kentucky law only requires a rear plate to be displayed on passenger vehicles.

Louisiana
      Drivers in Louisiana are only required to display one plate – on the rear of the vehicle – for a passenger car.

Maine
      All vehicles in Maine must display two licenses, one in front and one at the rear of the vehicle.

Maryland
      Maryland drivers must conspicuously display one plate in the front and one in the rear of a passenger vehicle.

Massachusetts
      Massachusetts was one of the first states to require license plates on vehicles. While many states no longer require the use of a front license plate, Massachusetts recently changed their state laws to require drivers use two plates, one in front and one in the rear.

Michigan
      Michigan drivers are only required to display one plate at the rear of their vehicle by Michigan State Law.

Minnesota
      Vehicles in Minnesota are required by state law to display two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

Missouri
      Missouri license plate laws stipulate that all passenger vehicles are issued two plates, to be displayed conspicuously in the front and rear of vehicle.

Mississippi
      Mississippi is another state that does not require the use of a front plate. A single rear license plate is all that is stipulated by state law.

Montana
      While the big sky state once set their daytime speed limits to "reasonable and prudent," their license plate laws are a little more stringent, requiring drivers to display both a rear and front plate. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still permitted.

Nebraska
      Passenger vehicles in Nebraska are required to display both a front and rear license plate.

Nevada
      Nebraska license plate laws require motor vehicles to conspicuously display two plates, one in the front of a vehicle and one in the rear.

New Hampshire
      New Hampshire license plate laws require that license plates be displayed at all times. Vehicles are required to display two plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

New Jersey
      The Garden State, which happens to be JavaSigns.com's home state, issues two license plates to all registered automobiles, and New Jersey license plate law stipulates that both must be displayed on a vehicle – one in front and one in the rear.

New Mexico
      New Mexicans are only required to display one rear license plate by state law.

New York
      New Yorkers are required by New York license plate laws to display two license plate on their passenger vehicles, one on the front and one on the rear.

North Carolina
      North Carolina license plate laws only necessitate the use of one license plate, displayed so it can be seen from the rear of the vehicle.

Ohio
      License plate laws in Ohio require the use of two license plates for passenger vehicles, displayed so they can be clearly seen from the front and the rear of the vehicle.

Oklahoma
      Oklahoma only requires one license plate to displayed on the rear of all registered passenger vehicles, so residents of the "Sooner State" can display a custom plate demonstrating their individuality.

Oregon
      The Beaver State requires that all drivers conspicuously display two license plates, mounted in the front and rear of a passenger vehicle.

Pennsylvania
      Pennsylvania license plate laws only require that one license plate be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, leaving those in the Keystone State free to display a customized novelty plate on the front of their vehicle.

Rhode Island
      Rhode Island license plate laws currently require two plates, but many residents refuse to comply with the front plate requirements. However, passenger cars lacking a front plate will still be cited for violating license plate laws.

South Carolina
      If you live and drive in South Carolina, you are only required to display one plate on the rear of your vehicle.

South Dakota
      In South Dakota, drivers of passenger vehicles are required to place plates on both the front and rear of their cars.

Tennessee
      Tennessee law only stipulate the use of a rear license plate, so if you live in Tennessee, feel free to make a statement of your individuality, right on your vehicle!

Texas
      Texas license plate laws require the use of two license plates, one on the front of the vehicle and one to the rear. However, Texans are notorious for their state pride, which can be expressed through window or vehicle decals, car magnets, or even vehicle lettering.

Utah
      Utah license plate laws require each and every passenger have vehicle two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

Vermont
      Vermont requires passenger cars to display two license plates on their vehicles, securely fastened to the front and rear of the vehicle. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still legal in this state for lovers.

Virginia
      Residents in the Old Dominion are required by state law to clearly display two license plates, one to the front and one to the rear of each car.
      Washington
      Washington state license plate laws require all registered passenger vehicles to have two license plates, one for the front and one for the rear.

Washington
      State of Washington requires all registered passenger vehicles to have front and rear license plates.

Washington DC
      In order to operate or park a vehicle on any public street, drivers must display two license plates horizontally on the front and rear of every vehicle. Tags must be visible and not obstructed in any way, but a customized license plate holder does not violate any regulations.

West Virginia
      West Virginia license plate laws only require that a rear plate be displayed.

Wisconsin
      Wisconsin state laws require the use of two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

Wyoming
      Wyoming license plate laws require that all registered vehicles being driven on public roadways secure two license plates, one on the front, and one on the back of the vehicle.

US Territories, Including: Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam
      U.S. territories Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam do not require an official front license plate.

Modified by GrecianVolvo at 1:57 PM 5-21-2009

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E, BrightSilver w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/ Platinum/Technology/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR,Connected Touch,FR CAMERA

Re: State by State License Plate Requirements (GrecianVolvo)

Don't forget Washington state, which requires front and rear plates as well.

Washington "State"

While I no longer live in Washington it used to drive me nuts that I would always be asked where in D.C. do you live. So I learned to say I was from Seattle Washington even though I wasn't.

They should have just named it New Columbia like they were going to do before ole George became the first president.

Now I can say I'm from Nashville....which is usually followed with "so I guess you like country music?".......it never ends......

The old - 2001 S60 totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX (yuck), 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 totaled.
      The current - 2012 C30 T5 Ice White/Black/Blonde OSD
      2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige

Former Advertiser
      ^^^ LOL. I don't know why they don't just call it the District of Columbia.

Re: (fcpgroton)

I thought D.C. stood for District of Criminals.

Oh well, shows how much (or little) I know, I guess.

Re: (Crito)

Quote, originally posted by Crito »
      I thought D.C. stood for District of Criminals.

Please keep your anti-government conspiracy rantings to OTF where they belong.

Re: (Munin)

Quote, originally posted by Munin »

Please keep your anti-government conspiracy rantings to OTF where they belong.

Please keep your stupidity to yourself and get a sense of humor.

Utah's plates are red white and blue...and I have seen them over top of the red tourist plates on a Volvo and actually looked pretty cool. So, consider stacking plates.

For future Massachusetts OSD customers, you might be interested to know that the MassDOT considers OSD vehicles "grey market" cars, even though they are imported by VCNA.

This isn't because they are parallel imports, it's because they have been previously registered outside the US. So, in addition to the certificate of origin, odometer statement and bill of sale (all of which you are given in Gothenburg), you will need a US Customs document which you won't receive until the car has cleared customs in the US. EH Harms snail-mails this document to you.

If you are registering the car (or the dealer is) you won't succeed without this document. I haven't seen a mention of post-Gothenburg documentation in anything I was given on the OSD website and the dealer knew about it but was unclear exactly what was needed or why. In fact, I called MassDOT and they couldn't explain it until I wrote the ombudsman for a definitive answer. Here's the link to MassDOT's website listing the only acceptable documentation: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/grey.htm. And here's a link to MassDOT's other requirements for registration: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/.

Swedish license plate regulation

Before you register your new Volvo in the US you may want to know that the Swedish government requires two license plates on vehicles.

If you are picking up a Volvo in Europe via Overseas Delivery and live a state in the US that does not require a front license plate you may want to consider a "No Charge" accessory for your new Volvo.

If you don't want any license plate mounting holes on your the front bumper of your Volvo then add "NOLICE" to the list of options on your OSD order. "NOLICE" will tell the factory to mount the front Swedish license plate to your car with two sided tape for easy removal when your car is in America.
      William

Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Europe by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
      Swedish license plate regulation

Before you register your new Volvo in the US you may want to know that the Swedish government requires two license plates on vehicles.

If you are picking up a Volvo in Europe via Overseas Delivery and live a state in the US that does not require a front license plate you may want to consider a "No Charge" accessory for your new Volvo.

If you don't want any license plate mounting holes on your the front bumper of your Volvo then add "NOLICE" to the list of options on your OSD order. "NOLICE" will tell the factory to mount the front Swedish license plate to your car with two sided tape for easy removal when your car is in America.
      Thanks - Great advice. We live in Pennsylvania where we do not have front plates. We contacted our dealer and he had NOLICE added to our order. I am somewhat suprised that our dealer did not know about this since they do numerous OSD's each year.
      2012 S60 T5, Passion Red, Offblack Leather Interior, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Chrome Tailpipes

Quote Originally Posted by yobyot View Post
      For future Massachusetts OSD customers, you might be interested to know that the MassDOT considers OSD vehicles "grey market" cars, even though they are imported by VCNA.

This isn't because they are parallel imports, it's because they have been previously registered outside the US. So, in addition to the certificate of origin, odometer statement and bill of sale (all of which you are given in Gothenburg), you will need a US Customs document which you won't receive until the car has cleared customs in the US. EH Harms snail-mails this document to you.

If you are registering the car (or the dealer is) you won't succeed without this document. I haven't seen a mention of post-Gothenburg documentation in anything I was given on the OSD website and the dealer knew about it but was unclear exactly what was needed or why. In fact, I called MassDOT and they couldn't explain it until I wrote the ombudsman for a definitive answer. Here's the link to MassDOT's website listing the only acceptable documentation: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/grey.htm. And here's a link to MassDOT's other requirements for registration: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/.
      How can an OSD car be considered as a grey market car when it has never been registered or titled in a foreign country? The registration papers are for export plates, not plates to be used in a foreign country. Furthermore, the car is brought back to the U.S. with an MSO not a title document from another country (which I have seen from U.S. specs cars registered in European countries because their owners used to live there).

By definition, from the link you provided, I just do not see how an OSD car meets the criteria to be considered as grey market cars.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E, BrightSilver w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/ Platinum/Technology/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR,Connected Touch,FR CAMERA

Quote Originally Posted by mstak View Post
      Thanks - Great advice. We live in Pennsylvania where we do not have front plates. We contacted our dealer and he had NOLICE added to our order. I am somewhat suprised that our dealer did not know about this since they do numerous OSD's each year.
      You are welcome.

Even though I live and work in California (a two license plate state) I have sold many Overseas Delivery cars to people in Pennsylvania and other states throughout America that only require one license plate. Some of my customers in these states have ordered the "NOLICE" option for their new Volvo.
      William

Go on a Journey for Life...
      " See Europe by Volvo "
      Click ^^ to take first step

I live in Pennsylvania and I plan on displaying my OSD front license plate proudly. I *wanted* the mounting bracket installed.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by yobyot View Post

I recently ran into this problem when I attempted to register my second (in Massachusetts) OSD vehicle. My insurance company had no problems in creating the RMV1 form and I took that plus the certificate or origin, bill of sale and odometer statement to the registry and got turned away. The rep printed me out an internal web page about grey market vehicles.

I then did a bit more research. The grey market classification is supposed to apply to vehicles that are manufactured for other countries and I guess the customs form is a way to show that the vehicle was properly imported.

I returned to the registry with the paperwork again and had no problems with the second rep. They took a copy of the bill of sale (giving me back the original) and did the transaction in less than 5 minutes.

Suggestions: don't offer information regarding the vehicle being previously registered. If there's any questions about it being a US vehicle you can point out the emissions certification on the certificate of origin.

Also note: in Massachusetts you have to pay the sales tax within 30 days of the purchase - if you don't there will be additional penalties (cost). The only way to pay the sales tax is to apply for title and registration. Be sure to bring your certificate of title home with you (basically the "book" you get when they give you your car) and you should be able to do the registry paperwork prior to your vehicle arriving.

I having a hard time finding information on licensing here on the ship's slowwwww internet -- I'd make a phone call, but I'm on deployment!

Here's the situation: My home of record is in California (San Diego) but I'm currently stationed in Norfolk, VA. Is there anyway I can assign CA license plates to my new car. It arrives in December.

Thanks for reading/listening!

Quote Originally Posted by xxxmarksittt View Post
      I having a hard time finding information on licensing here on the ship's slowwwww internet -- I'd make a phone call, but I'm on deployment!

Here's the situation: My home of record is in California (San Diego) but I'm currently stationed in Norfolk, VA. Is there anyway I can assign CA license plates to my new car. It arrives in December.

That sounds like a question for William (he lives and works in California)....I would send him a PM.............
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4-2012) Ember/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2004 Nissan Armada

Quote Originally Posted by xxxmarksittt View Post

It may depend on where you pick up the car. I doubt a VA car dealer would know how to deal with California DMV/registration/etc. I imagine that California DMV would not want to deal with a VA car dealer or send them plates. CA really doesn't have any way to deal with a VA dealer if the dealer violates the rules. In CA, they can send state troopers and sieze everything; in VA, they'd have to get a court order and hope the local Sheriff/Constable isn't buddies with the owner.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      This is courtesy of Webhund! Thanks!

State by State Listing of License Plate Requirements:

What, no North Dakota rules?
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar