Aftermarket In-Dash GPS for 2008 Volvo S40
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Aftermarket In-Dash GPS for 2008 Volvo S40

Is it possible to install an aftermarket in-dash navigation system (for example from Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.) into a 2008 Volvo S40?

I've been searching the internet, and this forum, and can't get a definitive answer. Some places say no, some say it's difficult, some say you can. It seems the console makes this difficult. Is this Volvo single DIN, double DIN, or neither?

Thanks!

Its neither. single DIN is about 7" across and our consoles are about 6".
      Used Dension GW500 for sale, free test and installation in Los Angeles area. S40 T5 sold.

Re: (fone)

So, does that mean that there are no aftermarket in-dash nav systems available? Does it have to be dashboard mounted?

I've been considering something like this, but I don't want to spend the money or hack up my car, so I haven't fully researched it.

What I was considering is a CD player delete, and a screen relocation. If you look around a bit there was a guy with an S40 or V50 that did the relocate and built a car pc. He did this with fiber optic cable and moved it up to the panel covering his sunroof motor access.

From there I was thinking of using a product JL Audio makes called "cleansweep". It basically allows you to install a module in line after your audio out, which has hookups and preouts for auxilliary ports, subs, etc. I thought that this product would allow me to retain use of my volume knob and buttons on my steering wheel, but apparently I'm wrong. That's another thing that made me drop the idea.

Then I was going to see if there was something out there that was basically a nav/video screen that allowed me to still have my own music via flash card/ipod. I'd have to hack up my waterfall though, because as mentioned there is not enough room there.

If I ever do anything, I want to still retain stock functionality. It seems dumb to me to have buttons that just don't work because I decided the audio isn't good enough (which it isn't, but I'm willing to live with it for now).

here's a really old thread that might help you: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=48581

And another

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=58894

Hope that helps you out a bit... It's a lot of work and money just to have nav, but there are other things you can do with it if you wanted to.

Re: (mofolicious)

Thanks for the information, and as I expected, it's far to complicated for me. Cool projects, though.

Anyways, I'll probably just mount a portable one to the dash if I decide to go for a nav system, but I've always thought those are kind of tacky.

Re: (mofolicious)

Quote, originally posted by mofolicious »
      Then I was going to see if there was something out there that was basically a nav/video screen that allowed me to still have my own music via flash card/ipod.

There is such a gadget called Parrot MKi9200, it's not nav, but bluetooth hands free kit, but can also play your music from ipod, iPhone, USB flash drives, mp3 players and SD cards. They claim it's compatible with the Volvo S40/V50 audio system, be it Basic, high or premium sound system, you just need to buy an additional adaptor, hook it up and off you go..

http://www.parrot.com/usa/prod...i9200

Electric silver metalic MY2005 Volvo S40 2.0D (DW10 BTED4 HDi) 100kw(136hp) @ 4500rpm | 340Nm@2000rpm

Re: (Guru)

Quote, originally posted by Guru »

There is such a gadget called Parrot MKi9200, it's not nav, but bluetooth hands free kit, but can also play your music from ipod, iPhone, USB flash drives, mp3 players and SD cards. They claim it's compatible with the Volvo S40/V50 audio system, be it Basic, high or premium sound system, you just need to buy an additional adaptor, hook it up and off you go..

http://www.parrot.com/usa/prod...i9200

Not a simple installation though. From what I see, it simply attaches itself right before the speakers, either using the harness that connects to the speaker (not sure if volvo has them, but I have seen the toyota ones) or you would have to cut the wires and join/solder them as shown in the installation instructions.

I was also considering putting a car PC when I first got the car, but the need for hacking the waterfall console put me off.

Used Dension GW500 for sale, free test and installation in Los Angeles area. S40 T5 sold.

Re: (fone)

On the Parrot UK site they mention nothing about cutting and soldering wires, but purchasing the PC000019AA adaptor that hooks directly into the Volvo audio system, the location of wether in the trunk, behind the console or else where depends on the type/grade of the Volvo audio system...

But then again, "Simple installation" and "Volvo" don't really mix together, everything becomes challenging at one point or another.

Electric silver metalic MY2005 Volvo S40 2.0D (DW10 BTED4 HDi) 100kw(136hp) @ 4500rpm | 340Nm@2000rpm

Re: (Guru)

This Parrot thing really intrigues me...has anyone tried it for our car? I don't even care that I would have to have an additional volume control mounted on my steering wheel...It looks like it might be easier to navigate than the Dension Gateway 500, and cheaper.
      SATIN PEARL WHITE S40 T5 AWD with some sweet custom bodywork by concrete medians...