SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

headlight reflector paint..?

21K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  andersh67 
#1 ·
Any one know of any web sites that sell reflector paint..?
Lookin to remove the DRL glass to euro my lights but on a budgit

Poor man at work!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: headlight reflector paint..? (VolvokidS60R)

Hey Nick, I was looking into doing the same thing but I wasn't able to find a paint that is going to withstand the heat. The chrome paint process only goes to like 250 degree's IIRC. If you are going to put in a 55 watt bulb I don't think its going to last long.

#3 ·

And IIRC, someone pulled apart their headlights and found that the ONLY difference between US spec and Euro spec (WRT the DRL / High Beam) was a low beam bulb in place with a diffuser in front of it. Once the diffuser is removed and a suitable high beam bulb is installed, it's a Euro high beam.

-Steve

#5 ·
Re: headlight reflector paint..? (sh8kdwn)

See i allredy did tthe AUX headlight mod made it my self. so my DRL come on with Hi beam. but i taught behind the DRL defuser the DRL light pod was just gray right. Cant vew pic here. hummmm what to do what to do...... theres got to be a way to make them kinda reflictable
In my DRL i put 9005 i think and they are silver stairs so they BRIGHT! i just want them open!!Muhjahahaha

#6 ·

The US DRL housing is painted a rather 'rough' gray (the same as the rest of the piece) to diffuse the light. The Euro housing is a chromed reflector. The optics are also slightly different IIRC.

#8 ·
Re: headlight reflector paint..? (AthruC)

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
Look what I found - US Spec w/ diffuser missing...

The 'housing' by itself:

WTH!

No pics my friends!! send the to VolvokidS60R@yahoo.com
See I dont cair if they "Project" light down rang i just want to make them female puppy dogs look good. F dot approve ect LOL!!!

#10 ·
Re: (juve021)

I'd imagine it would make the beam a bit more 'narrow' and seem brighter to whoever looks directly at it (more lumens/m^2). Blinding? I wouldn't want to be staring at it regardless...

#11 ·
Re: (AthruC)

Yes Screw the people comming at me!! LOL!!!!! maybe find some light blue semy reflecting heat rested spray!? hummmmmm

#12 ·
Re: (VolvokidS60R)

It's scary, because I actually understand that post

Just raid your collection of busted headlamps... find some S40 Projectors and take out the 'cutoff' plate inside of it and throw those in!

#13 ·

I like your ideas my riend. see what happens when you get a cupple of inatavite poor people we get stuff did batman!!!

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
It's scary, because I actually understand that post

Just raid your collection of busted headlamps... find some S40 Projectors and take out the 'cutoff' plate inside of it and throw those in!

Waite you have my s40 projectors!! i think....... LOL!!!

#15 ·
Re: (VolvokidS60R)

Here's my DRL delete

#18 ·
I have my S60r Headlight apart right now on the floor.

It is frosted definatly.

If anyone needs excact pics let me know.

My headlight plans:
55w HID upgrade.

Black Headlight surroud
Clear VIVA side marker

#22 ·
Re: (volvosince16)

Quote, originally posted by volvosince16 »
Didn't someone send theirs out and have them coated somewhere a couple months back?

I had mine re-metalized by:

Martin Goldsberry
VacuCoat Technologies, Inc.
ph. (586) 791-1117
cell (313) 282-3853

Modified by MightyQ at 7:03 PM 6-2-2009

#23 ·
Re: (tgrjmp)

Quote, originally posted by tgrjmp »
How hard is it to do all these mods?

I would like to paint that silver molding in the headlamp a black color. Not gloss or flat just black. Also I would like to remove the amber position lens.

It's not terribly hard to do, just have a couple of
before you attempt the job.

Bake the lights at 170 degrees for around 10min to get the glue soft and gently pry the glass from the plastic housing. The hard part is getting the ball joints to disconnect the reflectors from the housing. These can give you a bit of trouble but just be firm and not man handle them and they will pop free. Everything pretty much self explanatory/evident on how to remove and re-install once you get into the headlights. I'll try and dig up some pics for anyone who's interested if they want to give it a try.

#24 ·
Re: (MightyQ)

It's not that bad to do. I managed to take my headlights apart 2 weeks after shoulder surgery with my non-dominate arm in a sling.

Taking the bumper off with one good arm was quite the task though!

Have at it! It's a good weekend project. I'd say about 2 days, just to let the new paint cure. You'll love the results. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#25 ·
Re: (QnsMostWanted)

Quote, originally posted by QnsMostWanted »

any close up's by any chance?

#26 ·
Re: (MightyQ)

was lookin at my spair set last night and the housing are kinda shinny. so ima try to poshles mines up i got to try to save as much money i can. the 1932 rat rod fund is in action!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.