headlight reflector paint..?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

headlight reflector paint..?

Any one know of any web sites that sell reflector paint..?
      Lookin to remove the DRL glass to euro my lights but on a budgit

Poor man at work!!!

No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Re: headlight reflector paint..? (VolvokidS60R)

Hey Nick, I was looking into doing the same thing but I wasn't able to find a paint that is going to withstand the heat. The chrome paint process only goes to like 250 degree's IIRC. If you are going to put in a 55 watt bulb I don't think its going to last long.
      2006 S60R-Passion Red, 6MT, IAQS, Touring, Climate, Convenience, Nordkap, Sport Kit, Bluetooth, RKelley CAI, DIY Strut Bar Conversion, IMP Concepts Boost Gauge, QBM Lower Trans and Upper Bushing(round conversion), 18" Pegs (powder coated wet black), Front Grill Painted Black, 40% Huper Optic Tint, EST Cat Back With Resonator Delete, Headlight Mods, 55W 3K HID Fogs, IPD iPod Adapter, TWM Short Shift and M1 Abrahms knob..... More to come!

And IIRC, someone pulled apart their headlights and found that the ONLY difference between US spec and Euro spec (WRT the DRL / High Beam) was a low beam bulb in place with a diffuser in front of it. Once the diffuser is removed and a suitable high beam bulb is installed, it's a Euro high beam.

-Steve

2005 S60R - Ti/Nord, Navi, 6MT Goodies: IPD, UR, VIVA, Takspeed, EST, Bell, ...and Evolve
      2006 V70R - Elec Silver/Nord, 6MT Goodies: Bone friggin' stock!
      "It must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness" - Helmutt Ranff

Re: headlight reflector paint..? (FORD420diesel)

Here is a pic of the headlight taken apart. Unfortunately I did not remove the DRL lens but it almost looks reflective behind the diffuser. Someone else can probably chime in.

Re: headlight reflector paint..? (sh8kdwn)

See i allredy did tthe AUX headlight mod made it my self. so my DRL come on with Hi beam. but i taught behind the DRL defuser the DRL light pod was just gray right. Cant vew pic here. hummmm what to do what to do...... theres got to be a way to make them kinda reflictable
      In my DRL i put 9005 i think and they are silver stairs so they BRIGHT! i just want them open!!Muhjahahaha
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

The US DRL housing is painted a rather 'rough' gray (the same as the rest of the piece) to diffuse the light. The Euro housing is a chromed reflector. The optics are also slightly different IIRC.
      2006 XC70, White/(Atacama) / FOR SALE: 1998 S70 TR-SE, AT, Silver/Charcoal, 101K, Modded (Canadian Car, eh?)
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R
      Looking for a new TV? Visit The High Definition Store or email me!

Re: headlight reflector paint..? (AthruC)

Look what I found - US Spec w/ diffuser missing...

The 'housing' by itself:

WTH!

2006 XC70, White/(Atacama) / FOR SALE: 1998 S70 TR-SE, AT, Silver/Charcoal, 101K, Modded (Canadian Car, eh?)
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R

Re: headlight reflector paint..? (AthruC)

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
      Look what I found - US Spec w/ diffuser missing...

The 'housing' by itself:

WTH!

No pics my friends!! send the to VolvokidS60R@yahoo.com
      See I dont cair if they "Project" light down rang i just want to make them female puppy dogs look good. F dot approve ect LOL!!!

Re: (juve021)

I'd imagine it would make the beam a bit more 'narrow' and seem brighter to whoever looks directly at it (more lumens/m^2). Blinding? I wouldn't want to be staring at it regardless...

Re: (AthruC)

Yes Screw the people comming at me!! LOL!!!!! maybe find some light blue semy reflecting heat rested spray!? hummmmmm

Re: (VolvokidS60R)

It's scary, because I actually understand that post

Just raid your collection of busted headlamps... find some S40 Projectors and take out the 'cutoff' plate inside of it and throw those in!

I like your ideas my riend. see what happens when you get a cupple of inatavite poor people we get stuff did batman!!!

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
      It's scary, because I actually understand that post

Just raid your collection of busted headlamps... find some S40 Projectors and take out the 'cutoff' plate inside of it and throw those in!

Waite you have my s40 projectors!! i think....... LOL!!!

Here's my DRL delete
      06 SR, Magic Blue, MT, Gobi, Sport Kit, BT, Sat, Revotec CAI, BMC, VST Strut Bar, QBM Upper Bushings and lower Trans mount, BIC, IMP Boost Gauge, SvR Cat Back, Euro Spec Conversion Headlight Mods, AUX Headlight Kit, 55W 3K HID Fogs, CBV Upgrade, Snabb Performance Intake Pipe, IPD HD TCV, Powerslot Slotted & Drilled Rotors, SS Brake Lines

Re: (MightyQ)

Quote, originally posted by MightyQ »
      Here's my DRL delete

any close up's by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by GiRaff3 View Post
      That's because I'm from the streets. Step off before I step in.

Re: (QnsMostWanted)

I have at least one pair of them

I figured you'd have another by now!

I have my S60r Headlight apart right now on the floor.

It is frosted definatly.

If anyone needs excact pics let me know.

My headlight plans:
      55w HID upgrade.

Black Headlight surroud
      Clear VIVA side marker

Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Didn't someone send theirs out and have them coated somewhere a couple months back?
      07 S60R Magic Blue/Gobi loaded with a few extras

Re: (volvosince16)

MightyQ has chromed his (and someone else's, forget who) and offers his services to do it for you.

How hard is it to do all these mods?

I would like to paint that silver molding in the headlamp a black color. Not gloss or flat just black. Also I would like to remove the amber position lens.

Re: (volvosince16)

Quote, originally posted by volvosince16 »
      Didn't someone send theirs out and have them coated somewhere a couple months back?

I had mine re-metalized by:

Martin Goldsberry
      VacuCoat Technologies, Inc.
      ph. (586) 791-1117
      cell (313) 282-3853

Modified by MightyQ at 7:03 PM 6-2-2009

06 SR, Magic Blue, MT, Gobi, Sport Kit, BT, Sat, Revotec CAI, BMC, VST Strut Bar, QBM Upper Bushings and lower Trans mount, BIC, IMP Boost Gauge, SvR Cat Back, Euro Spec Conversion Headlight Mods, AUX Headlight Kit, 55W 3K HID Fogs, CBV Upgrade, Snabb Performance Intake Pipe, IPD HD TCV, Powerslot Slotted & Drilled Rotors, SS Brake Lines

Re: (tgrjmp)

Quote, originally posted by tgrjmp »
      How hard is it to do all these mods?

I would like to paint that silver molding in the headlamp a black color. Not gloss or flat just black. Also I would like to remove the amber position lens.

It's not terribly hard to do, just have a couple of before you attempt the job.
      Bake the lights at 170 degrees for around 10min to get the glue soft and gently pry the glass from the plastic housing. The hard part is getting the ball joints to disconnect the reflectors from the housing. These can give you a bit of trouble but just be firm and not man handle them and they will pop free. Everything pretty much self explanatory/evident on how to remove and re-install once you get into the headlights. I'll try and dig up some pics for anyone who's interested if they want to give it a try.

It's not that bad to do. I managed to take my headlights apart 2 weeks after shoulder surgery with my non-dominate arm in a sling.

Taking the bumper off with one good arm was quite the task though!

Have at it! It's a good weekend project. I'd say about 2 days, just to let the new paint cure. You'll love the results.

Re: (QnsMostWanted)

Quote, originally posted by QnsMostWanted »

any close up's by any chance?

was lookin at my spair set last night and the housing are kinda shinny. so ima try to poshles mines up i got to try to save as much money i can. the 1932 rat rod fund is in action!!

Don't try the polish...it's not metal, it will just sand it down. I ended up getting it vaccuum metalized in michigan...total with shipping was about $120...totally worth it....put a set of the 50W HIDs from shape....I can see the moon.
      05 VR Ti-cama. 6-Spd, Bars, Links, R-Kelly, JRL, Euro-light Mod, Bluetooth, IMIV (As seen at San Onofre as often as possible)
      03 V70 T5 5-Spd (Gone to sister)
      00 VR (Gone)
      86 240 4-Spd w/ OD. RIP...missed

Re: (Storax)

Here is the link to my write up: The pics are all gone, but if you have any questions, email my iphone and I'll hit you back.... I just split them again last week because the glass was cracked from a thrown rock....it's not as bad the second time, once you know what breaks and what doesn't

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=110715

05 VR Ti-cama. 6-Spd, Bars, Links, R-Kelly, JRL, Euro-light Mod, Bluetooth, IMIV (As seen at San Onofre as often as possible)
      00 VR (Gone)

Short answer:

http://www.vacucoat.com/

00 VR (Gone)

Quote, originally posted by Storax »
      Short answer:

http://www.vacucoat.com/

thinks man. but im still trying to do it for cheeper then 120...... Im poor. 200 of my rent money was stolen last night...............and i have a 32 rat rod i need to bild. got to do for cheepest i can.

I feel your pain...I was hoping to find something too...I ended up parking the car for almost two weeks while my reflectors made the trip cross country. I just couldn't find anything that wouldn't blister with the Heat...especially with the 50W HIDs I put it...but hey...now I can see a solid mile:-)
      00 VR (Gone)

I thought you could see the moon?

A 50W HID should still burn cooler than most any filament bulb you throw into that thing.

Nick happens to have an extra set of internals (I want your old ones as backup Nick!), and I guarantee you he will do most anything to keep from paying $120 to have them chromed. Hell, I think he'd put tin foil in there before he had them sent out!

Re:

I saw that Viva have Euro Spec headlights in their catalog. I asked how much they were because they had no price on the web page. Got the answer today.

They are $2,900 per pair!!!

What? Is that for real?

2006 S60R GT - Electric Silver, Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Elevate body kit w/ CFW winglets, Ipod adapter, Bluetooth, Elevate/AutoTech Tune, EST DP, EST Catback Exhaust, IPD CAI, K&N filter, GlowShift Boost Gauge, IPD HD TCV, IPD Upper Poly Bushing Kit, IPD Performance Intercooler, IPD HD Throttle Inlet Tube
      Future upgrades: TME springs, IPD Anti Sway bars, IPD HD end links

Re: Re: (andersh67)

Yes.

The $/Euro is not as weak as it used to be, but it's still not so great.

Combine that with Volvo owning the tooling to the lamps, and no aftermarket production, and you've got Volvo holding us by the 'cohones' to get genuine lamps sourced from Europe...

That price, believe it or not, is not terribly unreasonable~!

The 'poor man's' option for sourcing Euro "R" lamps is to make nice to a European who is willing to scour the junk yards for you

Re: Re: (AthruC)

Well, I'm in Europe... I guess I could ask around to see where there are junk yards. I dunno, isn't the R too new (and built in too few numbers) to really have any luck finding any?

-Steve

2005 S60R - Ti/Nord, Navi, 6MT Goodies: IPD, UR, VIVA, Takspeed, EST, Bell, ...and Evolve
      2006 V70R - Elec Silver/Nord, 6MT Goodies: Bone friggin' stock!
      "It must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness" - Helmutt Ranff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast