SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Review : Volvo PPC Diagnostic System

12K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  firehawk618 
#1 ·
Another member on this board had mentioned using one of these scanners at his shop and said it worked well so......

I just purchased one of these little things. I must way I am super impressed with how well it works. Very fast at reading all modules, and just as fast clearing codes.

Reason I bought this is this.....

I have an OTC Genisys diagnostic system with European 2005 software in it. This tool will read ALMOST all modules on our S60's. It would not get into the AUM which is no big deal but what I really have been needing was to get into the DEM as I was running in fwd mode, and the onboard diagnostics in my car constantly showed DEM codes. My expensive tool would not properly read the DEM codes let alone clear them.

So the PPC shows up today, very simple. Plug it into the OBDii, turn key on, press a few buttons on the PPC. Sure enough pulled 1 code on my DEM and 2 codes on my AUM. Wrote the codes down, cleared them.

Moment of truth...test drive.

Pull out on main drag, with DSTC completely off, roll into 1st. NO WHEEL SPIN!!! Hit 2nd, and again AWD is working again!

This thing was less than $200 shipped. Worth every single penny.

If you are into repairing your R yourself, you NEED one of these! No more worries about accidentally tripping the SRS light...etc etc. You can now clear them yourself.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Review : Volvo PPC Diagnostic System (firehawk618)

Thanks for the quick review and recommendation.
I may have to pick one of these up.

Question:
Will it let you do any bidirectional tests and or read pids from all the moduless or is it simply a code reader/scanner and code clearer?

Either way it would be nice. I too have a Genisys and a Modis and and generic OBDII reader but could always use this PPC for resetting codes for body shops after they repair some Volvos. Plus a little cheaper than running VIDA and a DiCE unit . http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·
Re: (firehawk618)

Quote, originally posted by firehawk618 »
My Genisys hardly boots up in that time.
I can sympathize. Thats one reason I have a crappy OBDII scanner as its very quick.

You think the Genisys is slow, try waiting on a MODIS to boot. I only use the MODIS on some cars the Genisys won't scan or if I need a Scope.

#7 ·

I never tried to read the DEM with the Genisys but then again I haven't had to thankfully. I don't have any DEM codes right now according to my DIM. Being that I only have 29K miles on my car helps a little.

Modis is just slow. Newer versions of software and upgraded memory can help but its still slow and big. It does so much less than a fully loaded Genisys. Component test info is hit or miss but generally ok. I used it Tues to scope some injectors on a 98 Mercedes I was getting a misfire on #2 cyl. Only thing I like about the Modis is the Scope and component tests so I could just get a Vantage Pro which is smaller and has those features . Modis is not as great a system as Snap-On hypes. I even use to teach Advanced Engine Diagnostics and had 7 Modis for my class and they were OK once everything was set up correctly but they are difficult to navigate compared to other test equipment and VERY expensive brand new. Students became frustrated with them because they knew what they wanted to test and do but could get the Modis set up easily. In the field you use what is the fastest for the issue you have and the Modis is not fast and easy. It does work, just slow.

#8 ·
Yeah I use it here at the shop and it works great even those pesky airbag lights when removing interior and radio you get at times clears it all awsome tool for the price

#10 ·
From what I understand the IPD datalogger will only log a few inputs. Throttle position, boost, IAT, and a few others.
The Genisys will monitor all inputs that I know of, even the DEM.

From what I have researched on the IPD website, their code scanning / clearing abilities are limited to a handfull of modules. ECM, SRS, BCM, and a few others. DEM was not in the list.

#11 ·

Quote, originally posted by firehawk618 »
From what I understand the IPD datalogger will only log a few inputs. Throttle position, boost, IAT, and a few others.
The Genisys will monitor all inputs that I know of, even the DEM.

From what I have researched on the IPD website, their code scanning / clearing abilities are limited to a handfull of modules. ECM, SRS, BCM, and a few others. DEM was not in the list.

How about the PPC? I have been looking at that since it came out, and I'm just about ready to bite, unless there's something better in that price range.

#14 ·
Re: (97GLTbrick)

"Yeah I use it here at the shop and it works great even those pesky airbag lights when removing interior and radio you get at times clears it all awsome tool for the price"

Which "it" are you talking about? The Genisys, Modis, or PPC? The IPD diagnostic will not reset the SRS codes. I found that out after disconnecting my rear seat belt tensioners connectors.

Modified by dennyf at 9:08 AM 7-10-2009

#16 ·
Re: (dennyf)

Quote, originally posted by dennyf »
"Yeah I use it here at the shop and it works great even those pesky airbag lights when removing interior and radio you get at times clears it all awsome tool for the price"

Which "it" are you talking about? The Genisys, Modis, or PPC? The IPD diagnostic will not reset the SRS codes. I found that out after disconnecting my rear seat belt tensioners connectors.

Modified by dennyf at 9:08 AM 7-10-2009

He's talking about the cheapest one of the 3. PPC

#18 ·

well, i attempted to order this through BSR, but never accepts my visa, used various cards, even called chase to put exception for this order, no matter what browser or card I order with, the actual purchase never goes through. order stuff from all over and never had issues before. wtf

bsr wasn't any help, anyone have issues attempting to order?

did it go smooth for the rest of you?

#19 ·
Re: (atacamaR)

Quote, originally posted by atacamaR »

well, i attempted to order this through BSR, but never accepts my visa, used various cards, even called chase to put exception for this order, no matter what browser or card I order with, the actual purchase never goes through. order stuff from all over and never had issues before. wtf

Maybe your pc? Try to delete the cookies, browsing history and temporary internet files. Then try again. Also, if you take too long to input the credit card info, the screen/webpage may time out, so do it quickly.

If it's their website, wait a day or two for them to fix any issues. Or maybe you can order over the phone?

#20 ·
Re: (atacamaR)

Quote, originally posted by atacamaR »

I actually got it from ebay, a guy here in WA state sells them ~$200 delivered.

#21 ·
ESE Tuning

I ordered one of these last week from ESE Tuning in PA. (www.esetuning.com)

I have an illuminated SRS light on my '99 S70 T5, and was hoping that the PPC tool would read and clear the code. (I had this happen once before, about three years ago, and the dealer cleared it when they performed a warranty flash upgrade.)

Anyway, neither the ESE Tuning nor the BSR web sites say explicitly that this unit *WON'T* read/clear these codes from the '99 model 70-series, so I figured I would give it a shot. They mention the first-gen C70 as incompatible, but for all that I knew, the limitations could all relate to the convertible's controls. They also mention the first-gen S80 as working, but without mention of the early S/V70, there was really only one way to find out. So....

Bottom line: no SRS codes for first-gen 70 series cars. It wouldn't read the codes, nor would it clear the codes.

I also tried setting the unit for a later model Volvo and then reading and clearing the codes. Again, it couldn't read any codes from my ECU, but clearing the codes in that later-car mode caused one helluva scare: the car idled and ran rough, and could barely accelerate out of a parking space. Re-clearing the ECU in early-car mode restored full power and drivability. "Well, wasn't that special!"

I called ESE and pleaded my case for an RMA, but Tyler at ESE insisted that there would have to be a 20% restocking fee. He was polite and professional, but didn't see any reason why I might have thought this tool would work with my car - he just held the company line and insisted that the restocking fee should apply. I was patient and professional about it too, and he offered to have the owner, Dave, call me about the matter. We processed the RMA in the meantime.

Dave left a message for me when the return was received. Without even getting into the matter, he offered a full refund minus S&H, which was as fair as I would have asked for. I can only guess that he saw just enough validity in my case that he didn't want to argue about it.

Anyway, here are a few lessons learned:

1) ESE Tuning is a class act. I'd readily do business with them again, and recommend them as well.

2) The BSR PPC Diagnostic system looks like a great product. Unfortunately for those of us with early 70-series cars, it does nothing more for us than any other OBDII scanner.

3) Don't try to clear your early-car ECU with one of these tools set for late-model Volvo mode. If you do, put the tool back into early-model mode and clear the ECU again.

4) Don't tell your Swedespeed buddies about #3, lest they bust your chops relentlessly via this thread for the forseeable future.

#22 ·
LOL

Thanks for having the gonads to post your experience and it's a real bummer it didn't work out for you.

Get ready to get flamed!

Kinda reminds me of a 95 Firehawk I had many years ago. It had obdii connector under the dash yet it was NOT obdii system. I picked up a programmer because they never clearly said whether or not it would work on my car. Needless to say it would not work, and was stuck with a programmer I could not use. I was able to recoup some cost and sell it locally to a guy though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.