Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD

Hello to all. I'm a new owner of V70 AWD. I've been searching this and other Volvo forums for suspension upgrades and spring lowering options for 98-00 V70 AWD. It looks like this version is S.O.L. Are the Ohlins are really the only choice? I see some have AWD's that are lowered and really like the look. How do I get it? IPD and others exclude the AWD. Can anything be done? Thanks for all of you help.

Re: Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD (jonsmith11)

It depends on which rear shocks your have, Nivomats or standard.
      The front suspension is the same on all GEN 1 cars, interchangable parts, the rear is the issue
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 62K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 123K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. Showroom condition, LOW miles

Re: Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD (JRL)

Thanks for the response JRL. I have the Nivomats in the back. Will that set up allow for both the front and rear to be lowered? I understand that the Nivomats help support the weigh of the rear, and that they pump themselves up as you travel over bumps. Is that why you can't lower the rear just by using a different springs? Thanks again for your help.

In short, yes.

You can order the nivomats that often came on European R wagons and the corresponding springs from Volvo. That will lower the car but not drastically the way you can with the regular shocks.

Íhlins are wonderful but expensive and darn hard to find now.

If you want to go completely stock (i.e. Volvo) to lower your wagon here are the proper part numbers:

Front struts : 9204141-7
      Front springs : 3546641 individually (from kit # 9481 636-0 kit)
      Rear Nivomats : 8626025
      Rear springs : 9200184

Hope that helps.

98 V70 AWD M58 Manual: Wothrline tune, 15G turbo/angled flange, White injectors, R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust, EST Intake, IPD Swaybars + endlinks, Volvo Strut Brace, Íhlins Roadholding Suspension + Springs, 302mm ATE front rotors, vented R rears , SS Brake lines, E-spec C70 Jewels w/ 55w HIDs.

Re: (Big Will)

Thanks Big Will, That is just the information that I'm looking for. I have searched all over for the Ohlins with no luck.

No problem. In all honesty, if you add some HD endlinks and IPD sway bars to the above setup I think you'll be very pleased.
      98 V70 AWD M58 Manual: Wothrline tune, 15G turbo/angled flange, White injectors, R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust, EST Intake, IPD Swaybars + endlinks, Volvo Strut Brace, Íhlins Roadholding Suspension + Springs, 302mm ATE front rotors, vented R rears , SS Brake lines, E-spec C70 Jewels w/ 55w HIDs.

You can use TME springs, also[

Looks so good H. We need to do a photo shoot with the wagons.

The local dealer does not show the Front struts part # 9204141-7 as a number that works for anything. Is there a different #? All of the other #'s listed worked just fine. Thanks again for the great info.

Probably because it's a European part number that the U.S. dealers don't have access to.

In that case, just get any Volvo/Sachs/Boge front strut. There are 2 listed that I see: 9173850 or 9191569. My guess is that one of these came on either the XC or the C70 and all other cars got the other one.
      For the record, my '98 AWD originally came with 9173850 as front struts so yours probably did as well.

I've found some posts on "Fooler Spacers" for the Nivomats. Adding spacers between the lower mounting points to lower the ride height along with lowering springs. Any experience with this and is it effective? Pros? Cons?

This is the non-Nivomat rear shock for AWD Gen1 vehicles:

This is the Nivomat shock for AWD Gen1 vehicles:

It looks as though there is a pin/plate running through the bottom of the shock. Is there an adapter that would allow FWD nivomats to be used on a AWD V70? I think I still have a nearly brand new set of Nivomats from my T5 somewhere around the garage that if I could repurpose, I'd like to try them on the XC to see if it could raise the rear just a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
      You can use TME springs, also[

LookforJoe, your car looks awesome. Let me get this straight, you installed TME springs WITH nivomats and it turned out like that? I have always been under the impression that there aren't any lowering springs we can get for the R with nivomats. If this is the case, where can I find them? I have to replace the nivos on my car, I might as well change do the springs too!
      2000 V70R, Laser Blue.

SWAY BARS SWAY BARS SWAY BARS!!!

They by FAR improve the handling more than any other suspension upgrade. Go IPD.

I'm running stock rear with Bilsteins in the front. It makes the front a tad lower but I like the stance with the rear up a tad bit. All that combined with some RE01R tires and this thing actually handles amazingly well.

ViVA Performance sells the TME springs.

Quote Originally Posted by magnato1 View Post
      LookforJoe, your car looks awesome. Let me get this straight, you installed TME springs WITH nivomats and it turned out like that? I have always been under the impression that there aren't any lowering springs we can get for the R with nivomats. If this is the case, where can I find them? I have to replace the nivos on my car, I might as well change do the springs too!
      TME springs WITH Nivomats, yes. The TME kit includes spacers for the nivo's to drop the rear accordingly. I added an additional 1/4" (2 washers) to each spacer to get the car almost level F/R.

I bought the spring set direct from TME in Sweden, if Viva carries them, it will likely be around the same overall cost, since shipping will be less & no customs duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      SWAY BARS SWAY BARS SWAY BARS!!!

They by FAR improve the handling more than any other suspension upgrade. Go IPD.
      IPD sway bars are a given, however lowering the whole car improves cornering & handling significantly.

Do the rear TME springs, or any for that matter, do much for support or lowering with the Nivomat or is the at rest height adjustment accomplished with spacers? The Nivomats self-level with additional weight and when I had the set on my FWD, the springs themselves did not provide much support.

TME springs are $450 from Viva and OEM V70R - $365 [ $202(front pair) and $163(rear pair) ] - anyone have a comparable picture to H's XC70R with the P/Ns BigWill posted ? How much lower are the TME?

I have the Íhlins with Íhlins rear lowering springs and they are about the same height as Hussein's setup for the rear. From what I've seen on Swedish Rs, the proper lowered chassis nivos with lowered chassis R springs sit at about the same height as the Íhlins setup and Hussein's setup. If you only use the springs and keep the XC nivomats then they don't lower the car much at all...a lot of the drop is in the different nivomat.

I'll look on some for sale sites in Sweden and link a picture of some Rs if they have stock suspension for comparison later

Thanks! How about "lowered chassis" R nivomat with XC springs?

Are these the correct P/Ns for the various options?

AWD - Rear Nivomats - lowered chassis: 8626025
      AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70R: 8626026
      AWD - Rear Nivomats - XC70: 8626026
      AWD - Rear Shock - AWD 70 :8626027
      FWD - Rear Nivomat - V70: 8626028
      Ohlins Rear shock kit: 9451817-2

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      Thanks! How about "lowered chassis" R nivomat with XC springs?

Are these the correct P/Ns for the various options?

AWD Rear Spring Kit - lowered chassis: 9200184
      AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70R: 8626027
      AWD - Rear Shock - AWD 70 :8626027
      AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70 XC: 8626026
      Íhlins Rear AWD Spring Kit: 9481769-9
      Yes the above are correct with those additions.

The Íhlins shocks are not available anymore but you can still get the springs. The "lowered chassis" items are still available through dealers. You could do lowered chassis nivomats with XC springs...no idea what it would look like but I don't believe the spring rates are different on any of the stock Volvo springs...this is according to something TME once said to me. The Íhlins rear springs have a different spring rate I believe which is why for a limited time a while back TME offered a special AWD lowering spring kit for cars with the Íhlins shocks.

Will,
      are you sure about the P/N for the V70R Nivomats as 8626027 ?

Tasca has that P/N "Shock absorber, s70, v70 - awd - AWD ,W/o v70 r or xc Either Side - Awd - Awd"

Quote Originally Posted by TEPPERS AUTO SALES View Post
      Aw gees will you leave it alone already
      if you want sway bars fine, but you bought a WINTER CAR which an XC is great at, lower it and you defeat the purpose
      Why are you on his case?

Lowered XC works fine in the winter, mine has been through two winters so far with the TME's.

Jim - enough already. I am trying to get educated on the various AWD options and compile a repository of P/Ns for those who are interested.

Please use your JRL account outside the Classifieds.

OK, I'll never say another word about it
      It's just you said when you bought it that you were going to basically leave it alone plus the fact that I know you and I'm just trying to convince you not to spend a ton of money on a car you probably won't keep all that long.

I am spending on maintenance, like the cracking serpentine belt, prop shaft and bent wheel, then a couple amenities to enjoy the daily commute a little. If I find a sale or good deal on something along the way I may pick it up.

The car is 1000% better than the T5M when I started out with it so I don't need to go overboard. The suspension is all original and will eventually need replaced. I want to fully understand so I don't make the same mistakes I did with the T5 and end up doing the shcok/sping suspension setup more than once.

The car is 1000% better than the T5M when I started out with it so I don't need to go overboard. The suspension is all original and will eventually need replaced. I want to fully understand so I don't make the same mistakes I did with the T5 and end up doing the shcok/sping suspension setup more than once.

Ride quality & handling is great using the stock XC Nivo's & front struts. Just adding the stiffer lowering springs & IPD sways, and wider lower profile wheels & tires are all it needs for an EXCELLENT ride, combined with great response & still predictable AWD handling. I would not bother with AM struts, shocks, etc. The Volvo/Ohlins setup (like Big Will's) would be nice, but it's not available.

...and to add (not comment) they're very decent without lowering springs, just sway bars (+wheels and tires).
      Softer, sure. Smoother, absolutely. More comfortable YES...but still a big upgrade.

I have a set of Perfos here, so if I repaint them I too will probably go to 16s
      I also have a set of Comets but not sure if I want to go with 17s sitting that high and I'm NOT lowering it
      I HATE the cheap (15") Michelin Primacy tire that's on it now.

Also remember resale. 99-44/100% of buyers looking for an XC want the taller ride height.

If you haven't changed the serp belt yet, I think I still have one here and will send it to you if you want
      (If I didn't use it, I forget)
      Last edited by JRL; 10-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Chris - I'm not 100% sure of that part number but I can't understand why the XC and stock R would have the same nivomats while the plain AWD would have different ones. I also think that IPD's website echoed the part numbers the way I wrote them up before they changed their website completely. In any case, IF you actually buy new nivomats and want to lower it then you'll definitely get the "lowered chassis" ones. If you don't want to lower it then I assume you'll just get new XC nivomats.

Oh and the reason that it says "w/out v70R or XC" is because in the Volvo fiche, it's written from Europe where Rs are assumed to have the lowered chassis shocks and springs. This is the same reason that in the Íhlins literature it states that if you have an R you don't need to buy the Íhlins lowering spring kit for the rear suspension. Of course you do if you are in the U.S.

Ok - here's the summary:

AWD - Rear Spring Kit - lowered chassis: 9200184

Here's my former '00 V70R with the stock suspension:

Here's my '98 V70 AWD with the Íhlins suspension front and rear, front "lowered chassis" Volvo springs, rear Íhlins lowering springs:

At some point I'll add the front TME lowering springs I have to drop the front a little extra.

What a great thread. All kinds of useful info. I am going to order my nivos in the next few days. Is there anyway to tell if it has the lowered chassis rear spring kit? It's always ridden pretty low, so I'm guessing it does, but anyway to tell for sure?
      2000 V70R, Laser Blue.

If your car came as a US spec car then it didn't have the lowered chassis from the factory I've never heard of one in the States that had the lowered chassis from the start. In Europe I believe all Rs came with the lowered chassis standard unless otherwise specified.

Anyone have the OEM front spring & shock P/Ns? I want to have all of these centralized for future reference. thx.

Front suspension:
      AWD - Front shock - lowered chassis: 9173850
      AWD - Front spring - lowered chassis: 3546641
      AWD - Front shock - V70R:
      AWD - Front spring - V70R:
      AWD - Front shock - XC70: 9191569
      AWD - Front spring - XC70:
      FWD - Front shock - V70 T5: 8600901 (Front spring suspension ( MARKED 39, 49, 59, F3 See product sign for marking. R2, R9, T6, F5, H2, H5, H8 H9, N1, M7, M5, Y4, Y7, M7)
      FWD - Front spring - V70 T5: 3546640
      Ohlins Front shock kit: 9204201-9

Rear suspension:

Anyone have the OEM front spring & shock P/Ns? I want to have all of these centralized for future reference. thx.

Front suspension:
      AWD - Front shock - lowered chassis: 9173850
      AWD - Front spring - lowered chassis: 3546641
      AWD - Front shock - V70R:
      AWD - Front spring - V70R:
      AWD - Front shock - XC70: 9191569
      AWD - Front spring - XC70:
      FWD - Front shock - V70 T5: 8600901 (Front spring suspension ( MARKED 39, 49, 59, F3 See product sign for marking. R2, R9, T6, F5, H2, H5, H8 H9, N1, M7, M5, Y4, Y7, M7)
      FWD - Front spring - V70 T5: 3546640
      Ohlins Front shock kit: 9204201-9
      Íhlins Front AWD Spring Kit:9204141-7

Rear suspension:
      Chris, I'm pretty sure that what I bolded is not a spring kit but is the factory strut brace. I don't think Íhlins made front springs for our Volvos. I think the only springs they made were the rear AWD springs to compensate for vehicles that did not come with the "lowered chassis" springs from the factory.

Other than that - great list! Finally all the information is in one place.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast