SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD

77K views 118 replies 22 participants last post by  Big Will 
#1 ·
Hello to all. I'm a new owner of V70 AWD. I've been searching this and other Volvo forums for suspension upgrades and spring lowering options for 98-00 V70 AWD. It looks like this version is S.O.L. Are the Ohlins are really the only choice? I see some have AWD's that are lowered and really like the look. How do I get it? IPD and others exclude the AWD. Can anything be done? Thanks for all of you help.

#2 ·
Re: Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD (jonsmith11)

It depends on which rear shocks your have, Nivomats or standard.
The front suspension is the same on all GEN 1 cars, interchangable parts, the rear is the issue

#3 ·
Re: Suspension Options for 98-00 V70 AWD (JRL)

Thanks for the response JRL. I have the Nivomats in the back. Will that set up allow for both the front and rear to be lowered? I understand that the Nivomats help support the weigh of the rear, and that they pump themselves up as you travel over bumps. Is that why you can't lower the rear just by using a different springs? Thanks again for your help.

#4 ·
In short, yes.

You can order the nivomats that often came on European R wagons and the corresponding springs from Volvo. That will lower the car but not drastically the way you can with the regular shocks.

Öhlins are wonderful but expensive and darn hard to find now.

If you want to go completely stock (i.e. Volvo) to lower your wagon here are the proper part numbers:

Front struts : 9204141-7
Front springs : 3546641 individually (from kit # 9481 636-0 kit)
Rear Nivomats : 8626025
Rear springs : 9200184

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
No problem. In all honesty, if you add some HD endlinks and IPD sway bars to the above setup I think you'll be very pleased.

#13 ·
LookforJoe, your car looks awesome. Let me get this straight, you installed TME springs WITH nivomats and it turned out like that? I have always been under the impression that there aren't any lowering springs we can get for the R with nivomats. If this is the case, where can I find them? I have to replace the nivos on my car, I might as well change do the springs too!

#8 ·
Looks so good H. We need to do a photo shoot with the wagons.

#10 ·
Probably because it's a European part number that the U.S. dealers don't have access to.

In that case, just get any Volvo/Sachs/Boge front strut. There are 2 listed that I see: 9173850 or 9191569. My guess is that one of these came on either the XC or the C70 and all other cars got the other one.
For the record, my '98 AWD originally came with 9173850 as front struts so yours probably did as well.

#12 ·
This is the non-Nivomat rear shock for AWD Gen1 vehicles:

This is the Nivomat shock for AWD Gen1 vehicles:

It looks as though there is a pin/plate running through the bottom of the shock. Is there an adapter that would allow FWD nivomats to be used on a AWD V70? I think I still have a nearly brand new set of Nivomats from my T5 somewhere around the garage that if I could repurpose, I'd like to try them on the XC to see if it could raise the rear just a tad.

#14 ·
SWAY BARS SWAY BARS SWAY BARS!!!

They by FAR improve the handling more than any other suspension upgrade. Go IPD.

I'm running stock rear with Bilsteins in the front. It makes the front a tad lower but I like the stance with the rear up a tad bit. All that combined with some RE01R tires and this thing actually handles amazingly well.

#15 ·
ViVA Performance sells the TME springs.

#18 ·
Do the rear TME springs, or any for that matter, do much for support or lowering with the Nivomat or is the at rest height adjustment accomplished with spacers? The Nivomats self-level with additional weight and when I had the set on my FWD, the springs themselves did not provide much support.

TME springs are $450 from Viva and OEM V70R - $365 [ $202(front pair) and $163(rear pair) ] - anyone have a comparable picture to H's XC70R with the P/Ns BigWill posted ? How much lower are the TME?

#19 ·
I have the Öhlins with Öhlins rear lowering springs and they are about the same height as Hussein's setup for the rear. From what I've seen on Swedish Rs, the proper lowered chassis nivos with lowered chassis R springs sit at about the same height as the Öhlins setup and Hussein's setup. If you only use the springs and keep the XC nivomats then they don't lower the car much at all...a lot of the drop is in the different nivomat.

I'll look on some for sale sites in Sweden and link a picture of some Rs if they have stock suspension for comparison later

#20 ·
Thanks! How about "lowered chassis" R nivomat with XC springs?

Are these the correct P/Ns for the various options?

AWD - Rear Nivomats - lowered chassis: 8626025
AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70R: 8626026
AWD - Rear Nivomats - XC70: 8626026
AWD - Rear Shock - AWD 70 :8626027
FWD - Rear Nivomat - V70: 8626028
Ohlins Rear shock kit: 9451817-2

#21 ·
Thanks! How about "lowered chassis" R nivomat with XC springs?

Are these the correct P/Ns for the various options?

AWD Rear Spring Kit - lowered chassis: 9200184
AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70R: 8626027
AWD - Rear Shock - AWD 70 :8626027
AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70 XC: 8626026
Öhlins Rear AWD Spring Kit: 9481769-9
Yes the above are correct with those additions.

The Öhlins shocks are not available anymore but you can still get the springs. The "lowered chassis" items are still available through dealers. You could do lowered chassis nivomats with XC springs...no idea what it would look like but I don't believe the spring rates are different on any of the stock Volvo springs...this is according to something TME once said to me. The Öhlins rear springs have a different spring rate I believe which is why for a limited time a while back TME offered a special AWD lowering spring kit for cars with the Öhlins shocks.

#22 ·
Will,
are you sure about the P/N for the V70R Nivomats as 8626027 ?

Tasca has that P/N "Shock absorber, s70, v70 - awd - AWD ,W/o v70 r or xc Either Side - Awd - Awd"

#24 ·
Jim - enough already. I am trying to get educated on the various AWD options and compile a repository of P/Ns for those who are interested.

Please use your JRL account outside the Classifieds.

#25 ·
OK, I'll never say another word about it
It's just you said when you bought it that you were going to basically leave it alone plus the fact that I know you and I'm just trying to convince you not to spend a ton of money on a car you probably won't keep all that long.

#26 ·
I am spending on maintenance, like the cracking serpentine belt, prop shaft and bent wheel, then a couple amenities to enjoy the daily commute a little. If I find a sale or good deal on something along the way I may pick it up.

The car is 1000% better than the T5M when I started out with it so I don't need to go overboard. The suspension is all original and will eventually need replaced. I want to fully understand so I don't make the same mistakes I did with the T5 and end up doing the shcok/sping suspension setup more than once.

#27 ·
The car is 1000% better than the T5M when I started out with it so I don't need to go overboard. The suspension is all original and will eventually need replaced. I want to fully understand so I don't make the same mistakes I did with the T5 and end up doing the shcok/sping suspension setup more than once.
Ride quality & handling is great using the stock XC Nivo's & front struts. Just adding the stiffer lowering springs & IPD sways, and wider lower profile wheels & tires are all it needs for an EXCELLENT ride, combined with great response & still predictable AWD handling. I would not bother with AM struts, shocks, etc. The Volvo/Ohlins setup (like Big Will's) would be nice, but it's not available.

#28 · (Edited)
...and to add (not comment) they're very decent without lowering springs, just sway bars (+wheels and tires).
Softer, sure. Smoother, absolutely. More comfortable YES...but still a big upgrade.

I have a set of Perfos here, so if I repaint them I too will probably go to 16s
I also have a set of Comets but not sure if I want to go with 17s sitting that high and I'm NOT lowering it
I HATE the cheap (15") Michelin Primacy tire that's on it now.

Also remember resale. 99-44/100% of buyers looking for an XC want the taller ride height.

If you haven't changed the serp belt yet, I think I still have one here and will send it to you if you want
(If I didn't use it, I forget)

#29 ·
Chris - I'm not 100% sure of that part number but I can't understand why the XC and stock R would have the same nivomats while the plain AWD would have different ones. I also think that IPD's website echoed the part numbers the way I wrote them up before they changed their website completely. In any case, IF you actually buy new nivomats and want to lower it then you'll definitely get the "lowered chassis" ones. If you don't want to lower it then I assume you'll just get new XC nivomats.

Oh and the reason that it says "w/out v70R or XC" is because in the Volvo fiche, it's written from Europe where Rs are assumed to have the lowered chassis shocks and springs. This is the same reason that in the Öhlins literature it states that if you have an R you don't need to buy the Öhlins lowering spring kit for the rear suspension. Of course you do if you are in the U.S.

#30 ·
Ok - here's the summary:

AWD - Rear Spring Kit - lowered chassis: 9200184
AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70R: 8626027
AWD - Rear Nivomats - V70 XC: 8626026
Öhlins Rear AWD Spring Kit: 9481769-9

Here's my former '00 V70R with the stock suspension:

#31 ·
Here's my '98 V70 AWD with the Öhlins suspension front and rear, front "lowered chassis" Volvo springs, rear Öhlins lowering springs:

At some point I'll add the front TME lowering springs I have to drop the front a little extra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.