How to clean the Throttle Body?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

How to clean the Throttle Body?

All, I've search but no pictures - only chat about it. As part of preventive maintenance, I'd like to clean the Throttle-Body on the R car - 2005. Does anyone know how to get to it from on top of the car - DIY step-by-step and/or pictures of where the dang thing is within the engine bay?

OCEAN stated that "the easiest way to clean it was to loosen the intake hose clamp on the throttle and move the pipe to the side. Then clean the throttle from underneath the car. Using a long screwdriver to keep the throttle opened, spray carb cleaner up in there. Its a lot easier than removing the throttle. The butterfly and the bore can get all gunked up. A good cleaning isn't a bad idea at 60K."

I'd rather remove it and do it myself. Anyone know how?

SOLD!!! 2005 S60R. Mods: IPD (Stage 2 ECU, Trak Spec F&R sways, 3" DP, HD-TCV, HD-coils, HD-endlinks, SS brake lines), HEICO (CATback, 18" Volution wheels), Phuz PhMIC, JRL resonator delete, RKelly CAI, PLX OLED Boost Gauge, VST roof spoiler, 35% 3M window tint, other littler things.

Re: How to clean the Throttle Body? (petew)

What does it look like? Any pictures?
      SOLD!!! 2005 S60R. Mods: IPD (Stage 2 ECU, Trak Spec F&R sways, 3" DP, HD-TCV, HD-coils, HD-endlinks, SS brake lines), HEICO (CATback, 18" Volution wheels), Phuz PhMIC, JRL resonator delete, RKelly CAI, PLX OLED Boost Gauge, VST roof spoiler, 35% 3M window tint, other littler things.

Re: How to clean the Throttle Body? (Short Circuit)

As per Vadis:

Remove the throttle unit. See:

Cleaning the throttle unit
      Warning! Use a fume bonnet or ensure that ventilation is good.
      Clean the throttle unit using cleaner 116 1436-9 and a brush. Ensure that all deposits are removed from the surfaces marked in the illustration.

Carefully wipe the inside of the air duct clean on both sides of the throttle disc. Wipe clean the edge of the throttle disc.
      Flushing and checking the throttle unit
      Flush the throttle unit using cleaner H on both sides of the throttle.
      Check that there are no deposits remaining on the air duct or on the throttle disc. Any remaining deposits can cause a new build up of deposits.
      Clean again if necessary.

Re: How to clean the Throttle Body? (Short Circuit)

Follow the outlet pipe from the driver's side of the intercooler. The pipe twists to the left and runs along the front of the engine.

Here's an image of the throttle and intake manifold:

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jeff

04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

Make sure you have a new TB gasket if you end up removing the TB from the intake manifold. If you remove the intake manifold as well get a gasket for that too. If you remove the intake manifold, clean out the "flame trap" / oil recirc container and tubing.

Re:

Wow, dudes. All this info is FANTASTIC. I think I'll be able to do this based on this info.

I'd like to do this because I've hit 63K miles, and I'd like to get to this every 60K - LOL. So, that's the reason for my inquiry although this info is CRITICAL for anyone having stuttering or hesitation issues, IMO, as a first step in your search for an answer.

All the oil blow-by on this car is ridiculous.

Is there a superior cleaner best used to actually clean the throttle body once removed from the car? Carb cleaner is what I get in google searches...just asking if there is something "better".

Is there anything I can use while the throttle body is ON THE CAR so that I don't have to go thru this removal procedure? Don't say seafoam either - J/K. VOLVO touts this "engine clean" service - would that service get to the throttle body and butterfly plate and clean it out equally as good as removing the unit? If a yes, I'd go thru that route to be honest.

Thanks to all!!!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but been thinking about doing this myself as well, since I've done just about everything aside from coils to try to fix a hesitation at WOT. Did you ever attempt this Short Circuit? Rather try it myself first.
      2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/307FT-LBS@wheels, IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, Hawk HPS pads on slotted Brakeperformance.com rotors, HID fogs, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, Power Folding Mirror Kit, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust

Something I have noticed lately is when cruising (cruise control), I will enter a slight downhill where the throttle plate closes to let gravity take over, but when the hill ends and the road becomes level, I can actually feel the transition where the cruise control is opening the throttle back up. This used to be pretty seamless and never felt, but I can actually see the speed change sometimes up to 4mph before it takes over. I don't know what else it could be other than a sticking throttle plate. We'll see if cleaning helps it out.
      Matt
      http://www.phuzzymotorsports.com - www.facebook.com/phuzzymotorsports
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT: FMIC, DP, Autotech Tune
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design (Wife)
      1993 S13 - 2JZGTE, PT6262 @ 26psi, HKS 272s, Haltech PS2000, 1000cc, Meth, 4" FMIC

If anyone has done this and followed a DIY or created one with photos would be much helpful. Im all for trying things, but like to get as much information in advance as possible.
      2004 V70R - GT. Titanium on Nordkap. Mostly stock with a little extra oomph

Quote Originally Posted by redbaronace View Post
      If anyone has done this and followed a DIY or created one with photos would be much helpful. Im all for trying things, but like to get as much information in advance as possible.
      Found this link: http://www.box.net/shared/cjh7pkl0cs

It's not for an R, but it should be roughly similar I'd think. No actual pictures of cleaning the throttle body though, only some steps in what it takes to get to it.
      2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/307FT-LBS@wheels, IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, Hawk HPS pads on slotted Brakeperformance.com rotors, HID fogs, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, Power Folding Mirror Kit, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust

I have NOT performed this procedure yet but what I have done is add fuel cleaner. Made a huge difference. I'm a believer in BG products (http://www.bgprod.com/home.html) and used their fuel additive in my fuel system (http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html), BG-44, Part # 208. For our throttle bodies, I think Part # 206 (BG Air Intake System Cleaner) is what we need, but you still have to spray it on externally. As far as I am concerned, BG, Techron & RedLine are the only products to be used on this car as all other stuff is snake-oil.

any updates with pics?
      2004 S60R Ti GT K&N Filter, phuzzy motorsports HD TCV,EBD and resonator delete
      1990 Eclipse Front mount,ported 16g,1000cc injectors,3inch turbo back,hks cams,fully built head

Time for a triple resurrection.

My car stumbles when coming down to idle both in gear [coming to a stop, for example] or in P [neutral for you M66 guys]. You can see it in the first and last pull on my vid.

I want to try cleaning the TB and making sure all the TPS/ETM connections are sound, but after 90k miles, I'm sure the TB could use some degunking too.

Here are the codes my car likes to occasionally throw.

P2135
      P0221

And here's the thread for my continuing issue.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...t-the-tailpipe...

Any help would be great...especially a how-to on the TB cleaning [I know HOW to clean one, but not how to get to it on these cars ]
      Volvo: Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object 2004 S60 R GT, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, 05+ center console and tails, UR braces top and bottom, lots of poly, 12mm front and 17mm rear custom spacers. 3" turboback exhaust (CNT/Elevate), silicone charge pipe, EST filter, RKelly intake (and lots more)

I'm in the same boat. I think I'll spray seafoam into the intake. Probably through the brake booster port.

Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
      2005 V70R
      A sexy blend of Phuz, iPD and ViVA

Oh GOD!!!
      Please don't do that.
      TB should be removed and carefully cleaned on the bench with a carb cleaner, not Seafoam
      Do not spray anything in it while in the car, it lays on its side, you can cause damage doing it that way
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Really? Because that's what the Seafoam spray was meant to do. Clean TBs.

I trust you. I'll look into taking it off instead.
      2005 V70R
      A sexy blend of Phuz, iPD and ViVA

There are real risks to cleaning throttle any way that can let solvents got down shaft and get past seals. The pots inside wouldn't be cool with crap washed onto their surfaces. The safe and Volvo prescribed way is to remove and clean with a rag with a milder solvent on it. WD-40 is pretty safe as is mineral spirits. The cleaner Volvo specs to use is mineral spirits or something very similar.
      2004 V70R GT 205K miles purchased 9/15/12. Had several R company cars in the past and had to have one of my own.
      OBX DP but I've only just begun.............

You have to pull the TB out to clean right. Grab the TB cleaner from AutoZone. Buy the 5 dollar TB seal and just spend an hour on it. It's a cake walk.

Basically the clamp for the FMIC pipe comes off, 4 bolts on the TB edges come out with a socket wrench. Wrap what ever tool you use with elctrical tape or disconnect the battery cable. You'll be right next to the starter and it's pretty easy to make contact with a wrench.

4 holes that bolt the TB up to the block

a birds eye view of the area. You can see how close you'll be to the starter.

Last edited by KillerB; 10-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
      2006 S60R, Electric Silver, 19' V7's, full factory options, fully modded, rebuilt Stage 3 engine w/ uprgaded turbo and Black Flagged from Volvo. Thank goodness for the onboard LIDAR jammer. BLack Flag info: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ighlight=black Mod List: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...roadband-users)

where is the throttle body in the pic.
      Volvo All the Way
      2006 S80
      All interior LED

Quote Originally Posted by volvoforlife007 View Post
      where is the throttle body in the pic.
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

soup and spoons beat me to it by 4 minutes!!!
      2002 Jaguar XJR 74,000 Miles
      2007 S60R 70,000 Miles

got it.thanks..some one should make DIY video too. will be so much easier as well..there are so many precautions too
      Volvo All the Way
      2006 S80
      All interior LED

Sorry no pics, but I did this last Spring and remember it was almost impossible to reach the two rear side bolts from the top side. After moving the FMIC pipe aside, I jacked the car up and located the bolts with a penlight and 2 ft of socket extensions, it was much easier to reach from there. Afterwards I pulled it out from the top, theres a gap to the right just large enough to remove the TB completely.
      2004 S60R Titanium Grey/Atacama MT Tumblr Page CNT downpipe, IPD oval exhaust, PHUZ TCV, Viva single mass flywheel, Poly/xc90 LCAs, IPD poly trans mount, IPD Poly upper engine mount, IPD solid mount conversion. IPD boost gauge. Ultra Rear track bar. GROM+ HTC ONE, Hawk ceramic pads, DRT slotted rotors, H&R spacers, IPD Machine PEGS, BG Potenza Re11s, (18" pegs + Blizzaks 4 winter). LED interior conversion. Lamin-X headlight tint