"Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem? Codes 161 and 021 appear?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

"Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem? Codes 161 and 021 appear?

I thought it just means that the car needs to go in for an oil change, etc. and tried to reset it according to these instructions below, and kept getting the reset beep, but it wouldn't go away.

When I read the manual, it seems that it's not the same as the "Time for regular maintenance" which is probably what is the one for an oil change.

Great, so there's some sort of problem? The code 161 and a wrench symbol and 021 and a foot on the brake pedal symbol would alternatively appear. Anyone know what they might mean?

1. start the car. the time for regular maintenance light will appear.
      2. press the button to shut the car off, the time for regular maintenance light should still be on the screen.
      3. breifly press the start/stop button, the dashboard will become brighter and the service light will still be on. [you are now in position I]
      4. press the odometer button first then quickly press and hold the start stop button until all the idiot lights appear, when this occurs you can release the start stop button.
      5. while still holding the odometer button wait until the orange Information icon flashes, when this occurs release the odometer button and you will here an audible signal that the reset has occured.

Re: "Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem? Codes 161 and 021 appear? (Lotus99)

Ok... yours is a 2009 manual right? Referring to page 121, what I understand is:

Book Time for Maintenance - Time to book a regular service (Service due soon)

Time for Regular Service - Time to bring the car in for a service now.

Maintenance Overdue - The service interval has been exceeded.

The code 161 (wrench symbol) means a regular service is needed. Not sure about the brake pedal though... and not sure why the reminder doesn't go away when you reset it.

If there's something abnormal then it would show stop safely, stop engine, service urgent, service required or see manual.

Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

Re: "Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem ... (frontwheeldriven)

Thanks. It's an 09 auto (all they sell in North America) T6. If it's in fact the regular maintenance due reminder, it's wierd I can't clear it, because I heard the reset beep a few times I tried. Sounds like I need to take it in anyway.

Re: "Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem ... (Lotus99)

The reminders disappers by itself in 30 sec or 1 min. No need for clearing. There is no error code to clear. It is just a friendly reminder.

There is a clearing procedure for the reminder that is done after the scheduled maintenance. But that will suppress the reminder untill the next scheduled cycle.

2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

Quote, originally posted by frontwheeldriven »
      Ok... yours is a 2009 manual right? Referring to page 121, what I understand is:

Book Time for Maintenance - Time to book a regular service (Service due soon)

Time for Regular Service - Time to bring the car in for a service now.

They'd seem redundant somewhat to me then if they're in fact saying the same thing... From the manual, the way it describes it, which implies two different issues to me, is:

Book time for maintenance - Time to book service at an authorized Volvo retailer.

Time for regular maintenance - Time for regular service at an authorized
      Volvo workshop. The timing is determined by the number of miles driven, number of months since the last service, engine running time.

The latter is the one that is time/mileage dependant, but not the first, from the way I understand it.

Re: "Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem ... (Lotus99)

Quote, originally posted by Lotus99 »

They'd seem redundant somewhat to me then if they're in fact saying the same thing... From the manual, the way it describes it, which implies two different issues to me, is:

Book time for maintenance - Time to book service at an authorized Volvo retailer.

Time for regular maintenance - Time for regular service at an authorized
      Volvo workshop. The timing is determined by the number of miles driven, number of months since the last service, engine running time.

The latter is the one that is time/mileage dependant, but not the first, from the way I understand it.

I believe that both are time/mileage/engine run hours dependant.

First means - time for the service is approaching, second - do it NOW, and then, the overdue message - you are screwed, pal, we are going to void your warranty...

Re: "Book time for maintenance" means there's a problem ... (gascos80)

Quote, originally posted by gascos80 »
      First means - time for the service is approaching, second - do it NOW, and then, the overdue message - you are screwed, pal, we are going to void your warranty...

So... that's why we have no excuse if they want to void our warranty for not doing proper servicing. The car's system gave 2 reminders... in other words, don't say we didn't warn you...

Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

Yep, exactly.