SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Alarm Siren how to replace?

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dextrobrick 
#1 ·
Hi peeps,

I have a 2004 S60R and have an "Alarm Service Required" message. I took her for a service and they charged me £100 just to tell me the message meant! Apparently I needed to replace my alarm siren, they then wanted to charge me over £400 to replace it, to which I told them no.

I have managed to buy a siren for just over £100 and wondered if this was something I could replace myself and if so can anyone able to advise how?

I'm no expert but following instructions on this forum I've been able to do things myself like replace TCV, fit iMIV iPod adaptor and other bits and pieces.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Once it's done I'll still be left with the message.
Is there a reader I can buy that will allow me to read and possibly even reset such messages for my car?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Alarm Siren how to replace? (iluvs60r)

remove the inner finder well on pass side right hand. remove it fron the bumper casue the modlue is shoved up in passed the washer resvor, now your going to have to notch the bold cause theres no bolt head and remove it with a stubba flathead

#5 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

Cheers peeps

No sunroof. I think it actually happened during a night of lightning and torrential rain.

When I went in the morning to check on her the alarm lights were flashing, but there was no audible alarm. I don't know if it had ever been audible during the night or if the siren broke sometime after the alarm went off.

After that I had the "Alarm Service Required" message up.

Found a pdf on volvo-forum (sorry dunno how to attach files) that includes diagram of where it is under right wheel. However says it must be configured via VIDA even if fit myself

Maybe need to shop around for another dealer. Poster on volvo-forum said he got it replaced for £141 inc VAT, that's how much they're charging me just for the part! Although his was 2002 S60 not an R, perhaps that's reason for difference?!? Even so maybe another dealer will supply and fit cheaper, if gonna have to pay for configuration anyway

Also need to check if activating the alarm via keyfob makes lights flash, if lights flash then means it's likely the siren and no the whole alarm module right?

#6 ·
Re: (iluvs60r)

You know what, I think it's actually the siren module that's goosed as in that link and not the actual 'siren'.

Mathew says his lights flash but no audible signal, I need to check my girl does the same when I activate the alarm.

Meant to pick up the part from Volvo tomorrow but now I need to check it's actually the right part.

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by iluvs60r »
However says it must be configured via VIDA even if fit myself
I thought I remembered reading on that other site that this wasn't the case. Maybe I just misremembered...

#8 ·
In the '02 S80 T6, I've already repaired the siren module's circuit traces that were damaged by electrolyte leaking out of the module's backup batteries--I replaced them as well with a pair of new cordless phone NiMH batteries--and got the siren module to work again just by cycling the door locks 3x. That reset the UEM so there was no need for a dealer visit. BTW the UEM also controls moonroof operation so if the moonroof is acting all wonky, try cycling the door locks 3x as well.

#10 ·
Re: (SHIFT_S60R)

Yeah so get this, I went to check if lights flashed. Used the alarm button on the key fob, not only did the lights flash but the siren went.

That doesn't make sense to me. Alarm Service Required message still up and on the service sheet from service centre it says fault due to alarm siren requiring replacing.

I'd have thought that if it was goosed it was goosed and I'd no hear a peep out of her?

#11 ·

Quote, originally posted by iluvs60r »
Yeah so get this, I went to check if lights flashed. Used the alarm button on the key fob, not only did the lights flash but the siren went.

That doesn't make sense to me. Alarm Service Required message still up and on the service sheet from service centre it says fault due to alarm siren requiring replacing.

IIRC the remote's panic function honks the car's horn and works completely independently of the siren module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.