Transmission shifter stuck in park position?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Transmission shifter stuck in park position?

Car (07 Sport model, 13k) has been sitting for 4 weeks. This afternoon I turned it on and the shifter is stuck in P and won't move. I didn't want to try anything and I called Road Assistance and it will be taken to the dealer on Monday morning. Will provide an update when I hear from the dealer, but in the meantime, does anyone have any clue what might be the problem.

Re: Transmission shifter stuck in park position? (Asfalto)

Is the car parked up- or downhill without the parking brake? If so, it might require some effort to disengage the anti-slide lock. Apply parking brake and try again with the reasonable force.

Oh, and can you start the engine? If battery is dead, you might need to release the manual lock (see user manual)

2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

Re: Transmission shifter stuck in park position? (gascos80)

Tx for the advice. The car is in the garage, completely flat. In any case I tried with the parking brake and no difference. Battery is good, the car started on the first try.
      Of course car is on warranty, so at this point I really like the dealer to tell me what is going on and eventually fix it.

Re: Transmission shifter stuck in park position? (Asfalto)

Do you have your foot on the brake? Do the brake lights come on? Maybe the
      brake sensor... ? ( just a guess )

2005 XC90 2.5T AWD (car)
      2000 F350 4x4 diesel (truck)

Something similar was recently posted, a member came back from a long trip and parked his XC90, he went out to move it and it was stuck in park. Turns out it was a solenoid that went bad.

Re: (Pinstripe)

Quote, originally posted by Pinstripe »
      Something similar was recently posted, a member came back from a long trip and parked his XC90, he went out to move it and it was stuck in park. Turns out it was a solenoid that went bad.

I believe on that one they could move the shifter and nothing would happen, and they coundt get the
      key out.

2005 XC90 2.5T AWD (car)
      2000 F350 4x4 diesel (truck)

Re: (dmd)

Brake lights seems to work fine and yes i was pressing hard on the brake pedal and nothing.
      As far as the other post, you are correct the ****er was loose, quite the opposite here, but curiously both cases on sport model with few miles.

Hopefully I will find out tomorrow from the dealer.

Re: Update from dealer: shifter cable needs adjustment

Got a call from the dealer, the shifter cable needs to be adjusted. I was expecting some mechanical fault of the shifter.

Now when it was put into drive by the road assistance guy, the shifter moved easily thru the gears but once the engine turned off and on, the shifter was again stuck in park.

Re: Update from dealer: shifter cable needs adjustment (Asfalto)

New Update: I picked up the car this afternoon. Turns out the issue was not the cable but the lever assembly inside the shifter (lock cam binding).

PS: They also replaced under warranty the bulb of the glove compartment.

The problem I had was with a dislodged clip that coupled the shifter. This occurred spontaneously attempting to move the shifter in the P position to R. I wonder if there may be some design issue with this assembly as both of these incidents appear to be somewhat related.

Re: (cdadoc)

Yours and I are the only cases i am aware of so I would not say there is a design issue yet, probably bad luck, but I am glad it happened at home ... (similar to your case)