Reduced Engine Performance (Volvo V50 T5 - 2004)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Reduced Engine Performance (Volvo V50 T5 - 2004)

I own a Volvo V50 T5 (2004) – a fantastic car - but it started showing warnings REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE. When it happens, the car stalls out (motor works but no power) and the accelerator pedal does not longer react! After parking and restarting the car, it runned normally again - pretty scary, if not danger, if you are driving in a busy high-way!

I took the car to the local Volvo dealer, they read the computer - not finding any error codes – and they cleared the messages. In the same week, the problem appeared again…

I found various tips via different forums, from recommending to fix/change the accelerator cable because it apparently comes loose (wiring touching metal and, therefore, generating short-circuit) to suggestions to replace the ECM system. Apparently the ECM has a warranty up to 80.000 km (my car has 75 thousand).

Also found comments in the Internet that such problems could well be related to failure of ETM (Electronic Throttle module) system. The new units have replaced the throttle position sensor that wears out with a Digital Angle Sensor that has no moving parts to wear out.

But my Volvo dealer told me that ETM failure/problem does not affect the Volvo V50!

Any word of advice?!

Regards, Ivens

Re: Reduced Engine Performance (isignorini)

TCV - starting to Stick or Die , It will -Give all the Other Sensors - Fits !

Over work the Fuel Pressure , O2 Sensor & Boost Sensor . This Over Compensating will lead to a Failure of One of Those 3 which will give a Code.

In the Meantime , You could have Limp Mode in the Middle of a Highway with Fast Moving Trucks , No Power Steering - which is Electric , No Flashers to Warn Others Your a Hazard , and Severely Reduced Power to get out of the Way . Further the Brakes go into - Unboosted Mode which makes for Slow
      Hard Pedal ,that has Limited Stopping = Delayed Stopping .

I Believe the Horn still works Great , so You will be able to Alarm People .

TCV = Turbo Control Valve

IPD - sells a HD TCV to Replace the Problematic Part.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S6...-4235/

If the car enters limp-home mode, there will always be a stored code. I suggest you find another dealer, or buy your own OBDII reader - it's BS that they cleared the codes without telling you what they were.

There's a number of reasons the ECM would conk out, but the only way to know why is to ask it. Having people guess at the cause will not be productive.

'05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 OEM bi-xenon retrofit | P1 HID conversion | FM Modulators

Re: Reduced Engine Performance (theshadow27)

Thanks for the reactions, tomorrow I will take the car back to the dealer. I shall post the outcome.

Well at Least You'll be able to Research the Items - Better .

How Many Sec. -did You Get REDUCED POWER Warning - before Limp Mode ?

Ask them How to Get Highway Hazard Lights - Flashers Back to Operational - Quickly ?

Re: Reduced Engine Performance (EngTech)

Hi there,

I went today to Volvo garage and they checked again the board-computer. Like last time, no records, and they cleared all the records.

However, on my request (based on what read in forums on Internet), they checked the gas pedal connection. They disconnected the cable/plug and, naturally, three simultaneous warnings come up: ECM, ETM and gas pedal failure. After reconnecting it, the system went back normal. I drove a good part of the day (pushing up the engine more than usually) trying to get any kind of response from the board-computer. So far no reocorrence of the problem (yet)!

I shall keep the forum posted if the problem returns...