Checking Transmission Fluid
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Checking Transmission Fluid

I cannot find a dipstick to check the trans fluid. Is there one?

Re: Checking Transmission Fluid (napster)

No. Hasn't been a dipstick in Volvo transmissions in years.

Re: Checking Transmission Fluid (VolvoMax)

Our T6 XC90 has one, thats why I thought the S80 would have one.

My S80 transmission has been making a weird sound as it downshifts when the vehicle's speed slows down. It sounds like a servo. I do not know if its a new sound or if its something that I just started to notice.

Thanks Volvomax.

With the Aisin TF-80 transmission you need to check the ATF level from under the transmission. IIRC there's a Torx T40 level plug that gets removed and with the car on level ground, its engine running, and the ATF at between 50-60 C (122-140 *F) you check if any ATF leaks out when the plug is removed. If no ATF leaks out at all then the ATF level is likely low. There's also a Torx T55 fill plug at the top of the transmission under the air cleaner assembly.

The ATF level checking procedure may sound counter-intuitive but the ATF level of the ZF 5HP transmission in my '02 Audi A6 4.2 is checked the same way from under the car and, yes, the GM 4T65 transmission used in both the XC90 and 1st gen S80 does have a traditional ATF dipstick.

Re: (Dextrobrick)

Dextrobrick:

Thanks for info on the "how to". I think this will be a job for the mechanic.