Bad smell from Air condition-please help !!!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Bad smell from Air condition-please help !!!

I have XC90 2.5T 2006 VOR 106.000 km and reason that I get bad smile is that car was parked long time more months (work abroad) and at service Volvo they try with ozone and some spray to fix this bad smell but nothing help. After few days the same.

Please can someone post photos or describe way how to open (I change regularly filter this is not problem) air-conditioner and clean evaporator grid (they say that this is the only one way to clean black fungi on evaporator)

Thank you in advance for help.

Modified by Hong Kong at 11:25 AM 11-10-2009

XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 06.06.2006 last 2.5T 190.000 km
      260 HP 410 Nm Chip + Software made in Holland

Go for a drive and turn on the a/c; turn off the a/c a few minutes before you get to your destination/back home.

You are smelling the mildey in the a/c system that was built up by the water that was trapped there.

Thank you for reply. I try many times but nothings change. I have bad smile as soon I get in car and later in driving...very strong fungi smell. MILDEW

I try also to put AC to most high temperature long time to "burn" this or evaporate but no help. I buy also spray for cleaning AC and try to spray in tubes but nothing...

Car was parked 2 months and my friend make few circle every few days but this make problem worse...i suppose.

Modified by Hong Kong at 10:58 PM 11-10-2009

Re: (Hong Kong)

Did u check the A/C Filter which under the glove box?

Yes I check filter AC and I change it regularly even too often...

Re: Bad smell from Air condition-please help !!! (Hong Kong)

The so-called "Afterblow" function on your vehicle may not be activated, and could be the cause of development of odour in the system. Volvo document TNN87-53-2007-10-05 - Air Conditioning System Odor/Afterblow function will explain.

To see first page of document, enter keyword "afterblow" and model "XC90" in search engine on the following site, then click the thumbnail image of the TNN (Note - you will have to enlarge image by using shift/+ on your keyboard.):
      https://www.volvotechinfo.com/...earch

See also:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...77403

Note:
      TNN mentions also to check that A/C drain is not clogged - drains sufficiently i.e. no water standing in the climate box

Modified by Tao at 5:08 PM 11-11-2009

Re: Bad smell from Air condition-please help !!! (Hong Kong)

You need to check the door sills. When rain runs down the side of the door windows, it goes inside the door and drains out of 2 rectangular drain holes on the bottom edge of the door. The problem is that not all of the water drains and mold develops inside there.

Try this: Drive with the climate system turned off, and open the sunroof to the vent position. This will create a draw. Put your nose against the window and see if that's the problem. Sounds crazy, but true.

There is no fix for this, btw. You just have to spray something up there every once in a while.

Not sure if there is a vapor barrier in the door, although I would assume there would have to be.

Problem is not in the door but in the ventilation of AC holes from where this smell come out.

When I open the car smell is present. And when I drive from AC of course.

I will check doors but Im sure this is not from the doors.
      Thanks for help.

Blog Entries

Re: (Hong Kong)

You likely have mildew on your AC evaporator. Once it's there you can't get it all out. There are some products that may help, e.g. Frigifresh--or similar in your corner of the world, but if you have a serious buildup the only solution is to remove it and replace it or clean it--unfortunately, expensice and not a trivial procedure that's best left to a dealer or experienced automotive a/c repair shop.

The afterblow with help prevent mildew buildup by drying off the coils and should be activated, if not already so; however, it will not eliminate the problem if you already have it.

'04 V70 NA -- gone

I used to get strong smell of mold/dampness/fungi/whatever for the first 3 minutes of turning on the air-con after parking the vehicle.

I bought a compact Ioniser, found a spare use slot on the driver side which has power only when the ignition is turn to on, connected an extension cable(cig lighter) from the fuse to behind the glove compartment(need to remove glove compartment). Connected the ioniser and wire-tie it next to the A/C air intake.

After a few days, I never had the problem with smell of mold.

This solution would be dependent on how much time you use your vehicle. I drive my XC90 for about 2hrs a day(to-from work & misc)

Bernard

Thanks. I use Ioniser in kitchen and living room for smoke and many years work very well.

I will buy tomorrow one in car shops they have but I also know that small ioniser in humid area is not working bcs. needle come rusted so quick...
      Any way I will try. Thank you to all of you for help. Nice weekend in your cars.

Can someone post photo where air take for AC is positioned? I put half liter of Votka in and burn fungies hahaha )) Thanks. I know where is the filter but down there I cant see nothing else then cover, no air intakes or so...

After you do everything to get rid of the smell, make sure you have your afterblow activated. I've had to have ours activated three times by the dealer. Not sure why it keeps getting deactivated.

Thank you for remind me. I will do it.

Can someone write the code for after blow in VIDA.

Thanks a lot.

p.s. the main reason why is deactivated is the same if you sitting in car and listening CD you can read soon message : The entertainment will shut down to save battery...
      Blow fan will do this more quickly be sure.
      I have also 2 tracking device consuming 300mA in stand by (not measure when sending rapports by GSM/GPRS) and if I don't drive car few weeks battery is falling down rapidly...

Off topic >

And the true is when battery voltage drop down under 11.28 V start so called sulfatisation.

lead sulfate is formed on the negative plate of the cells.Similar effect happens if you leave a battery deep discharged for a length of time.
      And even if you charge your battery with stronger current battery will never be like before.

I change my original battery Volvo after 6 months of non driving car.