SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 S40 T5 0-60 claim

18K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  GrecianVolvo 
#1 ·
Volvo claims 6.5 seconds with the 6-speed manual!

Yannis

#4 ·
Re: 2005 S40 T5 0-60 claim (asian01)

Quote, originally posted by asian01 »
And here I am trying to work my S40 for 6.8sec

Actually, the HP of the T5 engine is 218. We do not have exact torque figures, yet, but I just e-mailed my contact and when I get them I will let you know.

What I can tell you about the new 5-cyl. engines found in the new S40 (2.4i and T5) is as follows:

Volvo has managed to equip this car with a 5-cyl. engine something that is unique in its class. These new engines are further developed versions of the low friction units used in larger Volvos. The new generation is designated RNC ("C" indicates "compact"). Most of the engine's external components have been designed and packaged so that the engine layout takes very little space. This Volvo design (already present in the XC90) is known as SLIM (Strong, Light, Inline, Multi-valve).

* The continuously variable valve timing (CVVT) actuator has been redesigned to take up less space. CVVT provides high power and high torque in combination with lower fuel consumption and ehaust emmission levels.

* The slimmer engine blovk provides additional space for the safety structure. The new 5-cyl., in-line engine is 7.9" (200mm) slimmer and 1" (25mm) shorter than its counterpart in the large Volvo models. This compact format makes the engine lighter and also contributes to high crash safety because there is added space for deformation in the engine compartment. In a collision, the engine can be displaced no less than 5.9" (150mm) to the rear before the crankshaft impacts the cross member adjoining the bulkhead.

* The air conditioning compressor has been moved to a well-protected location, close to the oil sump.

* The turbo housing is cast integrally with the exhaust manifold for added compactness. This also shortens the distance between the engine and the turbo, providing faster turbo response and higher torque at low engine revs.

* The turbo housing and the exhaust manifold are cast from austenitic steel -- an alloy with extremely high thermal resistance. This allows the engine to run at an exhaust gas temperature of 1,922 degrees F (1,050 C), which enables the fuel to be burned efficiently with low emmissions and low consumption rates.

* The new plastic intake manifold also provides environmental benefits. The material's minimal thermal conductivity affords cooler inlet air, resulting in more efficient combustion and lower emmission levels.

* The oil filter is located upside-down at the front of the engine compartment, where it can be lifted off easily without oil spillage.

Yannis

#5 ·
Re: 2005 S40 T5 0-60 claim (GrecianVolvo)

I have posted various stats on the car in this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=12966 Hopefully some find the comparisons with the S60 and previous S40 interesting (I've used the data from the PDFs on the Volvo Cars Media site (intl)).

Torque on the T5 is 320Nm, same as the 2.5T, but the torque peak ends at 4800, not 4500rpm. It's in the above thread too

0-100km/h

2.0D - 9.5s
2.4 - 9.9s (M) / 10.6s (A)
2.4i - 8.2s (M) / 8.9s (A)
T5 - 6.8s (M) / 7.2s (A)

Top Speed

2.0D - 205 km/h
2.4 - 205 km/h (M) / 200 km/h (A)
2.4i - 220km/h (M) / 215 km/h (A)
T5 - 240 km/h (M) / 235km/h (A)

#6 ·
I, for one, am a little disappointed in the published 0-60. Not disappointed by much, just a little. Maybe real world numbers will be different. (and I tend to think they will be given the high torque and 6-speed ... unless the car is quite heavy)

for those looking for a translation on the torque, Volvo published on their website 236 ft.lbs.

all of these numbers are available at volvocars.com. just follow the links to the U.S. and the new S40.

#7 ·
Re: (Qbrozen)

Quote, originally posted by Qbrozen »
I, for one, am a little disappointed in the published 0-60. Not disappointed by much, just a little. Maybe real world numbers will be different. (and I tend to think they will be given the high torque and 6-speed ... unless the car is quite heavy)

Are you kidding me? You think that low to mid-6s is...disappointing???? For a price that is going to be in the mid-20s???

Yannis

#9 ·

As far as I can assess, the T5 will not be in the mid 20s. It will be pushing 30K and may even break it. There are quite a few vehicles on the market for under 30K that can get to 60 in right around 6 seconds and under.
I can guarantee you it will not be "pushing" $30K...

Yannis

#10 ·
so then where are they going to start? Right now, a stripper s40 starts at just over $25K and a loaded S40 already breaks $30K and that's not even a T5. So are you saying the prices are going down?

A stripper S60 currently is just over $27K while a loaded up T5 is near $40K.... so a $13K stretch in the S60 lineup tells me something here.

Hell, now that I've looked at those numbers, I would think the s40 T5 would be quite a bit more than $30K. I REALLY hope you are right, but based on Volvo's current prices, I don't see how.

#11 ·

so then where are they going to start? Right now, a stripper s40 starts at just over $25K and a loaded S40 already breaks $30K and that's not even a T5. So are you saying the prices are going down?

A stripper S60 currently is just over $27K while a loaded up T5 is near $40K.... so a $13K stretch in the S60 lineup tells me something here.

Hell, now that I've looked at those numbers, I would think the s40 T5 would be quite a bit more than $30K. I REALLY hope you are right, but based on Volvo's current prices, I don't see how.

Well, a stripped S40 goes for $20K or a tad below. They will align the new S40's pricing with the current prices.

They cannot affect the S60.

Yannis

#12 ·
huh? The S40 starts at $24,700 plus the $685 destination fee. That's MSRP. Are you talking about after rebates? Because we certainly can't equate that here. No rebates will be offered on a new model right off the bat. And we can't predict the future of this model and when or if rebates will be needed.

So you say they will align the new S40s prices with the current. So then my concern stands. The current S40 peaks around $30K with no T5 model. So, if this stands, then the new S40 T5 will be over $30K sticker. I'd guess $33K.

#13 ·

huh? The S40 starts at $24,700 plus the $685 destination fee. That's MSRP. Are you talking about after rebates? Because we certainly can't equate that here. No rebates will be offered on a new model right off the bat. And we can't predict the future of this model and when or if rebates will be needed.

They will not offer rebates but they will align the initial pricing of the new car along the same lines (nor exactly, bur close) as the current car.

Yannis

#14 ·

So you say they will align the new S40s prices with the current. So then my concern stands. The current S40 peaks around $30K with no T5 model. So, if this stands, then the new S40 T5 will be over $30K sticker. I'd guess $33K.

Here is an excerpt from a press release:

"PAG has introduced a few successful models, most notably the Volvo XC90 crossover wagon and the pricey low-volume Range Rover, but suffered as its small Jaguar X-type sedan struggled in the market.

The cars introduced at the Frankfurt, Germany, auto show will go a long way toward determining PAG's success for several years.

The new models include a station wagon version of the Jaguar X-type, the new $146,800 Aston Martin DB9 luxury sports car and the new Volvo S40 compact, which should sell for around $21,000 when it debuts in the United States in March"

Yannis

#16 ·

so they are saying they will drop prices. Good. That should help alot.

No...they are going to MAINTAIN just about the same pricing as the 2004 models have.

Yannis

#17 ·
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

* The turbo housing is cast integrally with the exhaust manifold for added compactness. This also shortens the distance between the engine and the turbo, providing faster turbo response and higher torque at low engine revs..

I think this is how Dodge setup the SRT-4 Neon's turbo. I think this will make upgrading the turbo a bit more challenging.

What are the dissadvantages of this setup? it help with emissions but is it at the cost of limiting the size of the turbo? Did Volvo include an intercooler with this setup?

Mid- 6 sec. for around $25k? WRX, Baja Turbo, Forester Turbo and SRT-4 Neon are the only 4-doors that come to mind in the low 20s. with better performance. VWs 1.8T GTI needs a couple mods to get into that performance range.

The T5 S40 might upset a few geartronic R owners.

#18 ·
Yannis - ok, one more time, the current S40 starts at $25K. Please show me an MSRP of $21K for one of these cause I must be missing something. OR, are you maybe saying that they will align the new prices with the current prices minus current rebates??

Chris - you forgot the Altima and RX-8

#19 ·

OR, are you maybe saying that they will align the new prices with the current prices minus current rebates??
You finally got it!

Yannis

#20 ·
Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »

What are the dissadvantages of this setup?

Don't know...I want to look at the ADvantages, for the time being...

Quote »
Did Volvo include an intercooler with this setup?

Yes.

Yannis

#21 ·
geez. finally. ok, i won't even go into semantics about what a "price" is. Just glad we finally crossed that language barrier.

where was I?... oh, yeah, the performance. Well, its pretty close to the numbers on the '98 s70 t5 (my current ride), so its not like I'll be losing anything if I were to trade for one when it comes, and that's fine by me. IF it can come in at those prices you are saying, then I'll definitely be taking a closer look when they come. Better than $10K under an R is a good place to be. Any closer and it would be a no brainer, IMHO.

#22 ·
Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »

I think this is how Dodge setup the SRT-4 Neon's turbo. I think this will make upgrading the turbo a bit more challenging.

Chris,

IIRC, this is how the MazdaSpeed Protege turbo is setup...not sure about the SRT-4 though.

-Drew

#23 ·

Volvo claims 6.5 seconds with the 6-speed manual!

Yannis

7.2 seconds with the manumatic.

Yannis

#24 ·

7.2 seconds with the manumatic.

These claims seem conservative - a V40 with 170 hp has been clocked by the car rags as doing 0-60 in 7.9 seconds. Unless the S40/V50 have gained A LOT of weight....

Hell, still, if I can get a V50 T5 manumatic with cloth heated seats and DSTC for around $27k before taxes.... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Tom

#25 ·
Re: (Drew@Swedespeed)

The SRT4 is 2 piece (traditional), the PTcruiser is not. This does make upgrading the turbo a PITA. I wonder what size turbo they used, seems to me its going to be something stupid small like a 13C again which VERY effectively limits the hp limits to maybe 250 tops. Same problem the T6 cars have with (two) too small turbo's.

That part Im not thrilled with yet. Though, if the car checks in at 3100lbs ish, makes 220hp, 250 with chip/exhaust it could run 14.0's or slightly quicker.

Damnit volvo, I want a WRX killer! NOT FAST ENOUGH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.