SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Replacing the Carrier Bearing on 99 V70 XC AWD

13K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Manny 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I have a 99 V70XC AWD, and the hanger bearing is starting to grind. Anyone know were i could get just the bearing. I took the drishaft apart and removed the bearing. Volvo doesnt sell just the bearing. Anyone have a used driveshaft with a good bearing? New one from Volvo is over 1000 bucks
Thanks
Manny

#2 ·
Re: Replacing the Carrier Bearing on 99 V70 XC AWD (Manny)

Quote, originally posted by Manny »
Hey everyone I have a 99 V70XC AWD, and the hanger bearing is starting to grind. Anyone know were i could get just the bearing. I took the drishaft apart and removed the bearing. Volvo doesnt sell just the bearing. Anyone have a used driveshaft with a good bearing? New one from Volvo is over 1000 bucks
Thanks
Manny

Rebuilt for $485 + core charge at colorado driveshafts.

#8 ·
Re: (lookforjoe)

Quote, originally posted by lookforjoe »
I wouldn't buy from him again, even if he had the correct one. Some of what he sells is crap.

There was a seller that sold just the bearing itself, in either size that Volvo used.

Trying to find it now...

Buy from "him" - who? The Ebay seller, or ColoradoDriveshaft?

My wife's '00 V70XC started making a whirring noise that goes along with vehicle speed. I thought it was a wheel bearing, but the dealership (that just replaced the ETM just under the 10yr warranty limit!) said it's the rear driveshaft center bearing. How can I diagnose it before buying the replacement? Remove the DS, and feel the bearing (crunchy/noisy)? I'm new to Volvos, but been wrenching for ages...

If the center bearing is shot, can the DS be removed and can the car be run as a FWD temporarily, or will that screw up something else? Anything odd involved with replacing the driveshaft, or will the normal shop tools be enough? Appx 2 hrs? Thanks!

Andris

#11 ·
Re: Replacing the Carrier Bearing on 99 V70 XC AWD (Manny)

I safely ran my 98 R wagon with no driveshaft for over a year until the coin was avialable for a new one. Colorado driveshaft provided excellent service and a quality product.Have your vin number ready. FYI ,I do use snow tires,so that helped a lot during FWD only.

#13 ·
Thanks - BTW (lookforJoe) - I grew up in Bardonia, and remember going to the Sunday night "Car club" at Dunkin Donuts in Spring Valley years ago. Still have friends in the area...

Looks like Colorado Driveshaft is the answer once I diagnose that it's the shaft for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.