Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle?

My daughter accidently dropped a penny in the rear right seat buckle next to her integrated booster seat. I can just see the side of the coin. I've tried small needle-nose pliers to remove, but no luck.
      Any advice on how to get it out short of unbolting the buckle?
      Thanks! Scott
      06 VR 6M, Sapphacama, 184kmiles, loaded and modded.
      "…it must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness." - Helmut

Try folding a credit card in half, then cutting it so that it fits in the buckle...it may be slim enough to grab it. If that doesn't work, just use one side of the card and cut a little angled lip at the end to grab the coing after the card slides over it.

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (Lightspeed)

You could try bending a paper clip into an L or J shape, see if you can fish it out that way. At work now, can't look at the buckle to see if that's feasible.

shop-vac

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (dachshund2)

Perhaps try a magnet!

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (crimnlmnded)

Quote, originally posted by crimnlmnded »
      Perhaps try a magnet!

American coins aren't magnetic.

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (kmagnuss)

eehhhh! worth a shot!. how about a toothpick with duct tape wrapped around it inside out.

toothpick and super glue.....dip the toothpick in super glue, touch the penny, wait one minute, and pull out.

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (The Weasel)

Quote, originally posted by The Weasel »
      toothpick and super glue.....dip the toothpick in super glue, touch the penny, wait one minute, and pull out.

Timing has to be perfect on this one!

Junior Member bethmedillustrator's Avatar

Surgical graspers. Ask your local surgeon.

Tweezers with a little sticky glue on the inside ends to help grasp?

05 S60R 6MT Black Sapphire/Nordkap
      94 Volvo 850 SOLD
      96 F250 XLT HD 4 x 4

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (bethmedillustrator)

It would take a beautiful woman to think of a good solution!

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (Kuz)

Quote, originally posted by Kuz »
      You could try bending a paper clip into an L or J shape, see if you can fish it out that way. At work now, can't look at the buckle to see if that's feasible.

This sounds like the best way to me.
      Go For It!
      '98 V70 R - Is the AWD worth it? You Betcha!

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (BEJinFbk)

Pull the rear seat (just two clips) unbolt the seatbelt and shake it upside down. If it's really stuck, I would not try taking any of the button assembly apart,. Just replace it. That part is prob 50 bucks, if that.

If you have any locksmithing tools, a broken key extractor would do it. I like the super glue idea, but be careful the super glue doesnt get anywhere else in the assembly!

Tim

2010 S80 V8 Savile Grey/Beige Ventilated Executive Sport Chassis (Lowered at the factory ) Nav Dynaudio Technology BLIS Volvo mud flaps Factory fridge for the Crystal
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Auto Ice White/Off Black 17 inch Interceptors Premium Climate Touring HU-801 w/ Dynaudio

First there was a beautiful women, then a daughter, then a coin in the seat belt latch. It's all connected.

'05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

Hello we want to know which idea worked!

Re: (crimnlmnded)

My guess is shop-vac or super glue. magnets dont with zinc, and the paper clip seems like it would be a PIA

Re: (chefcam81)

What I thought would be a simple task was a major pita. The penny was jammed into the bottom of the buckle; really pushed in. The width of the opening does not allow for a tweezer (tried multiple types) to open to get around the penny, and the shop vac would not pull it out.
      Digging through my tool chest, I found an old spark plug gap set, but no luck. Then I found dissection probes from my Biology 101 course in college (23 years ago!). One right angle tool had a sharp tip that let me get around to the bottom of the penny and gently pull up. Once I found the right tool, it was another 15 minutes before it was out. Not fun, and not funny.
      Thanks for the advice. Hoping no one else has this bit of luck.
      Scott

Re: (Lightspeed)

It's really still in there - that's just a 'prop' penny that he used from his pocket.

You should have left it in there and let your daughter learn a valuable lesson about buckling up (kidding of course)

2006 XC70, White/(Atacama) / FOR SALE: 1998 S70 TR-SE, AT, Silver/Charcoal, 101K, Modded (Canadian Car, eh?)
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R
      Looking for a new TV? Visit The High Definition Store or email me!

Yay for success...finally! Good thing Peyton is so darn cute.
      Trish
      '04 S60R Black Sapphire/Gobi 135K
      '01 V70 T5 5MT Silver/Charcoal, too many mods. 225K
      '72 142 Dark Green Metallic / Tan-Black two tone interior. Volans.
      '67 1800S Red/Black (rustbucket - SOLD)

Re: (1800girl)

For her next challenge, your daughter should insert a penny into the buckle.....after dipping it in super glue!
      | 04 FLO R IDA V |
      ViVA FMIC * iPD HD-TCV * K&N * Powerslot rotors * HPS Pads * iPD boost gauge * Orange TPMS * JVC KW-AVX840 * -Resonator * Powerflex * 55w HID Fogs * 3" custom DP with cat * Snabb intake * Forge CBV * 144k miles

Junior Member bethmedillustrator's Avatar

I you guys.

(That's your cue, Chilled Man!)

05 S60R 6MT Black Sapphire/Nordkap
      94 Volvo 850 SOLD
      96 F250 XLT HD 4 x 4

Re: (AthruC)

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
      You should have left it in there and let your daughter learn a valuable lesson about buckling up (kidding of course)

04 S60R GT - 12 Yaris (DD) - KB

Re: (m3nt0s)

Perhaps she would fare well with the penny slots at the Sands...

Quote, originally posted by Lightspeed »
      What I thought would be a simple task was a major pita. The penny was jammed into the bottom of the buckle; really pushed in. The width of the opening does not allow for a tweezer (tried multiple types) to open to get around the penny, and the shop vac would not pull it out.
      Digging through my tool chest, I found an old spark plug gap set, but no luck. Then I found dissection probes from my Biology 101 course in college (23 years ago!). One right angle tool had a sharp tip that let me get around to the bottom of the penny and gently pull up. Once I found the right tool, it was another 15 minutes before it was out. Not fun, and not funny.
      Thanks for the advice. Hoping no one else has this bit of luck.
      Scott

Good stuff Scott.

Now you can tell your wife "See, this is why I don't throw stuff out, even when it's 20 years old. You never know".

My seat belt adventure was a bit worse. I had buckled up in the morning on the way out but it felt a bit different when I buckled it. Upon getting to work I found I could not un-latch the buckle. I had to literally squirm and squeeze my way out of the seat belt. At home that night I could not get the buckle apart no matter what tools I used. I ended up busting the whole latch mechanism apart. I found there had been a dime that dropped out of my front pocket and with pinpoint accuracy had landed down into the buckle. Needless to say I had to unbolt the whole front seat to get a replacement buckle installed. I empty my front pockets everyday now since this happened.

Pioneer
      2005 V70R Ti Grey/Atacama - 3" turbo back - sway bars/springs

Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (bethmedillustrator)

Quote, originally posted by bethmedillustrator »

I you guys.

(That's your cue, Chilled Man!)

hey there

2013 Buick Regal 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me