SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle?

51K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  BakoSmiley 
#1 ·
My daughter accidently dropped a penny in the rear right seat buckle next to her integrated booster seat. I can just see the side of the coin. I've tried small needle-nose pliers to remove, but no luck.
Any advice on how to get it out short of unbolting the buckle?
Thanks! Scott

#30 ·
Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (Lightspeed)

You could try bending a paper clip into an L or J shape, see if you can fish it out that way. At work now, can't look at the buckle to see if that's feasible.
Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (crimnlmnded)

Quote, originally posted by crimnlmnded »
It would take a beautiful woman to think of a good solution!

I
you guys.

(That's your cue, Chilled Man!)
I GOT IT OUT!!!!!
A dime in my Toyota Camry. Here's how….
Tools: 1)an ice pick, long narrow pointed metal, and 2)tweezers, or surgical clamp, or the like (but not necessarily requi).

Procedure: The coin is probably stuck below the red release button.
Below the red button is a space where the coin is located, trapped. Squeezed tight.
Below that is a platform. Use the ice pick to press down the platform, loosening the coin from being trapped.
Give the buckle a gentle shake to make the coin lean so you can see the top. (YES!! moment). Then just use whatever to extract/slide the coin up and out!!!

Raise a glass, beat your chest, go play the lottery!!
Today is YOUR DAY!!

#12 ·
Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (Kuz)

Quote, originally posted by Kuz »
You could try bending a paper clip into an L or J shape, see if you can fish it out that way. At work now, can't look at the buckle to see if that's feasible.
This sounds like the best way to me.
Go For It!

#13 ·
Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (BEJinFbk)

Pull the rear seat (just two clips) unbolt the seatbelt and shake it upside down. If it's really stuck, I would not try taking any of the button assembly apart,. Just replace it. That part is prob 50 bucks, if that.

If you have any locksmithing tools, a broken key extractor would do it. I like the super glue idea, but be careful the super glue doesnt get anywhere else in the assembly!

Tim

#31 ·
Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (BEJinFbk)

Pull the rear seat (just two clips) unbolt the seatbelt and shake it upside down. If it's really stuck, I would not try taking any of the button assembly apart,. Just replace it. That part is prob 50 bucks, if that.

If you have any locksmithing tools, a broken key extractor would do it. I like the super glue idea, but be careful the super glue doesnt get anywhere else in the assembly!

Tim
I GOT IT OUT!!!!!
A dime in my Toyota Camry. Here's how….
Tools: 1)an ice pick, long narrow pointed metal, and 2)tweezers, or surgical clamp, or the like (but not necessarily required).

Procedure: The coin is probably stuck below the red release button.
Below the red button is a space where the coin is located, trapped. Squeezed tight.
Below that is a platform. Use the ice pick to press down the platform, loosening the coin from being trapped.
Give the buckle a gentle shake to make the coin lean so you can see the top. (YES!! moment). Then just use whatever to extract/slide the coin up and out!!!

Raise a glass, beat your chest, go play the lottery!!
Today is YOUR DAY!!

#14 ·

First there was a beautiful women, then a daughter, then a coin in the seat belt latch. It's all connected. http://********************/smile/emlove.gif

#18 ·
Re: (chefcam81)

What I thought would be a simple task was a major pita. The penny was jammed into the bottom of the buckle; really pushed in. The width of the opening does not allow for a tweezer (tried multiple types) to open to get around the penny, and the shop vac would not pull it out.
Digging through my tool chest, I found an old spark plug gap set, but no luck. Then I found dissection probes from my Biology 101 course in college (23 years ago!). One right angle tool had a sharp tip that let me get around to the bottom of the penny and gently pull up. Once I found the right tool, it was another 15 minutes before it was out. Not fun, and not funny.
Thanks for the advice. Hoping no one else has this bit of luck.
Scott

#19 ·
Re: (Lightspeed)

It's really still in there - that's just a 'prop' penny that he used from his pocket.

You should have left it in there and let your daughter learn a valuable lesson about buckling up
(kidding of course)

#20 ·

Yay for success...finally! Good thing Peyton is so darn cute.

#22 ·

I http://********************/smile/emlove.gif you guys.

(That's your cue, Chilled Man!)

#25 ·

Quote, originally posted by Lightspeed »
What I thought would be a simple task was a major pita. The penny was jammed into the bottom of the buckle; really pushed in. The width of the opening does not allow for a tweezer (tried multiple types) to open to get around the penny, and the shop vac would not pull it out.
Digging through my tool chest, I found an old spark plug gap set, but no luck. Then I found dissection probes from my Biology 101 course in college (23 years ago!). One right angle tool had a sharp tip that let me get around to the bottom of the penny and gently pull up. Once I found the right tool, it was another 15 minutes before it was out. Not fun, and not funny.
Thanks for the advice. Hoping no one else has this bit of luck.
Scott

Good stuff Scott.

Now you can tell your wife "See, this is why I don't throw stuff out, even when it's 20 years old. You never know".

#26 ·
Re: Help- How to remove coin from seat buckle? (Lightspeed)

My seat belt adventure was a bit worse. I had buckled up in the morning on the way out but it felt a bit different when I buckled it. Upon getting to work I found I could not un-latch the buckle. I had to literally squirm and squeeze my way out of the seat belt. At home that night I could not get the buckle apart no matter what tools I used. I ended up busting the whole latch mechanism apart. I found there had been a dime that dropped out of my front pocket and with pinpoint accuracy had landed down into the buckle. Needless to say I had to unbolt the whole front seat to get a replacement buckle installed. I empty my front pockets everyday now since this happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.