Bent a Rod, looking for engine options to rebuild. Need guidance.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bent a Rod, looking for engine options to rebuild. Need guidance.

All -
      Sad News. As of this morning, my 1998 C70, Stage III has been sidelined and I've started my search for a replacement engine for the old 2.3L I-5 HPT that powered it. Yesterday, on my way to Salt Lake City, I bent a connecting rod. My engine has 235,000 miles on it, and I've been running the Stage III system somewhere between 75,000 to 100,000 miles. I'm a bit disappointed since I was about 65,000 miles shy of my rebuilding goal of 300,000 miles.

Guess I can be added to the list of folks that have bent a rod with the 18T turbo.

Anyway, my long term goals with this car were to upgrade the turbo to a 19T, and since I'm looking at a tear down, I thought it was a good time to start figure out what engine will work with this and my 1998 C70 chassis.

(Yes, I know this isn't the C70 forum, but more folks in the S70/V70 forum have modified vehicles than the C70 forum, so here I am asking for help.)

Ultimately, my goal is to run a 19T, with MTE software, 20+ lbs of boost, and make about 350 at the crank without bending rods. I would like to carry over the IPD RIP kit, 3" TME downpipe and exhaust if at all possible. Future considerations would be FMIC, but after I figure out the engine configurations.

I recall reading that the 2000 v70r 2.4L I-5 has strong internals, and thought this would be a great base for my project, but I don't know if this will fit. I know the heads are different since the 00 Model year incorporate VVT, and my 98 doesn't have that.

Anyway, so here goes the questions:
      Block:
      1.) What engine (block and head) can be used to replace the existing 2.3L B5234T3. Something that has the same plumbing and wiring would be ideas. Will the 2000 V70r 2.4L I-5 block work with the 98 C70 heads?

2.) If I rebuild from the existing B5234T3 block, can someone point me in the right direction as to where to get connecting rods, lifter, injectors, and potentially pistons for my build outside of Volvo. OR does Volvo make stronger internal components?

Head:
      3.) I remember someone having a source of new/rebuilt head in Florida. Any chance someone can share that source? I think it was Chilled Man...

Other:
      4.) Anything else that should be replace while the engine is apart? ie, oil pickup tube, oil pump, oil cooler etc?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post.

-PM

1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

Re: Bent a Rod, looking for engine options to rebuild. Need guidance. (PM)

Peter,

Sorry for your loss. That said, you were less likely to bend a rod on the 18T than you will be with the 19T - that's a twitchy turbo with odd boost characteristics that are hard for the ECU to manage if there ever was one and getting the right tune is going to be important. If you're looking to read about engine replacements and forged internals to replace the B5234T3 engine I would suggest heading over to Volvospeed.

Justin (Chilled Man) can certainly point you in the right direction for sourcing some of these internals but there are other guys who have done extensive rebuilds as well. JoshV70's father did the rebuild of the B5234T3 on my C70 so I know Josh can offer insight to sourcing rods. Here are a couple of write-ups of interest for you and should connect you with a number of guys who have done engine swaps / upgrades:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...uild/

Don't get overly excited about this thread though because shortly after he bent a rod with a 16T attached to the 2000R engine. For the reason read below but the summary is poorly matched tune led to detonation and for that reason alone he should have place forged rods in there. That's not saying it would have completely saved him - the tune is critical.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...21911

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...16324

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...20rod

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...20rod

Modified by Burn-E at 10:07 AM 3-16-2010

1998 C70 HPT M, Saffron on Charcoal, built engine, EST RIP, IPD Short Ram, IPD Catback, Bilstein Touring struts/HD shocks, IPD springs, R bumper, Jewels, 98 XC grille, 6000k HIDs

1998 S70 T5 A, Emerald Green on Tan

98 = any turbo 5 cyl motor made by volvo

cheap and easist find a R motor $3500 and pretty much a drop in , good up to 400hp then cylinder walls crack .

granted thats what I am putting in my 98R so with k24 and such

2004 V70XC 2001 V70XC M66
      - If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes #truth#religion- The Lord is not my Shepard for I am not a sheep -
      - Faith and Belief is not acceptable reason to be willfully ignorant of Science and Facts -

why is it only the 98s that can take any engine? Is it because of the network or whatever?
      03 Maxima SE 6MT LSD Majestic Blue - whomp sauce!
      98 S70 GLT Classic Red - previous and missed

Go Blue!

Re: (ewakefield)

Quote, originally posted by ewakefield »
      why is it only the 98s that can take any engine? Is it because of the network or whatever?

Yeah, it doesn't HAVE a network
      (99 and newer are ME7 engines)

Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 58K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 120K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Re: (ewakefield)

Quote, originally posted by ewakefield »

Alot of reasons acutally

1.no VVT so you dont have to control intake or exhaust just leave them there and they work in the defualt mod.
      2. Tunning is alot easier and more widely done on the 98 and older cars plus tunning is cheaper.
      3. No network and its really the 03+ cars that have the canbus where it becomes a real PIA to swap parts around on.

Those are the three major things also the older cars are cheaper = used and new parts are cheaper so if you break somethign just swap it out and go

Als there is a tune for the K24 for the 2.3 block by worth line done already ....

- If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes #truth#religion- The Lord is not my Shepard for I am not a sheep -
      - Faith and Belief is not acceptable reason to be willfully ignorant of Science and Facts -

Re: Bent a Rod, looking for engine options to rebuild. Need guidance. (PM)

Sorry to hear about the bent rod

Talk to HeavyIron, I believe he is running a 19T in his 98 S70 with similar mods (and power) that you are looking to run. As far as I know, he has a 2.3L with forged internals on a stock block, head etc, with a 25 psi MTE tune.

I think the re-built head company you're thinking of is Clearwater Heads (Justin, help me out here)

From what I understand, the 2000 R 2.4L has stronger rods than a stock HPT engine, but not as strong as an aftermarket set of rods, such as R-sport. And you would have to do a lot more work to get it to work in your 98 C70, since it uses different ECU software.

1999 V70 R -- Silver/Charcoal, a few mods.

Re: (Chilled Man)

Quote, originally posted by Chilled Man »
      98 = any turbo 5 cyl motor made by volvo

cheap and easist find a R motor $3500 and pretty much a drop in , good up to 400hp then cylinder walls crack .

granted thats what I am putting in my 98R so with k24 and such

What year R motor are you planning to use?

I'm pretty sure he's saying he is going to find a '98 R motor...
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Re: (PM)

Quote, originally posted by PM »

What year R motor are you planning to use?

04 R motor out of martianbs car

Whats the average labor hours to remove and replace the engine?

I'm trying to get an idea before I go to my indy and work a deal on this repair.

So any HPT or S60 T5 motor through 2010 would be a candidate? That gives the potential for a lot of donor options for many years to come.

chris@swedespeed.com
      2006 V70R | 6MT | 3rd row | boosters | more to come
      2012 XC90 R-Design
      | NAV | RSE | 20" Cratus | Curt hitch
      2013 Wrangler JKU | NAV-TV | Trucklite LEDs |

Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »
      So any HPT or S60 T5 motor through 2010 would be a candidate? That gives the potential for a lot of donor options for many years to come.

5 cylinders .... any car but yeah any 5 cylinder for a 98 from 93-2010
      if you did stand alone and could do a cylinder car ..... cut some frame out you dont need it all

shoot even a 4 cylinder

Considering look at all the volvo whiteblocks there all the same motor

Whats the average labor hours to remove and replace the engine?

I'm trying to get an idea before I go to my indy and work a deal on this repair.

Me up and out the top 16hrs if I haul ass .

but usually 3 days in and out start to finish with test driving and no other random broken crap

Me up and out the top 16hrs if I haul ass .

but usually 3 days in and out start to finish with test driving and no other random broken crap

Excellent! My indy is right in line with what you're saying. He said it should take him about 16 to 20 hours.
      All I need now is to be able to find an engine with less than 50K miles on it..

Excellent! My indy is right in line with what you're saying. He said it should take him about 16 to 20 hours.
      All I need now is to be able to find an engine with less than 50K miles on it..

why sub 50k .... get one with 100k on it or even find a newer one with 100k....

The R motor I am putting in has 110k its and the motor I am taking out only has 130k on it granted it is going in antoher car so

Re: (n00bkiller944)

Quote, originally posted by n00bkiller944 »
      I'm pretty sure he's saying he is going to find a '98 R motor...

Actually he's talking about the later model R= like 2004 S60R

Edit: oh I see Justin replied

1995 960 Totalled
      1997 850R Black SOLD
      2000 C70 Convertible Auto HPT Silver

why sub 50k .... get one with 100k on it or even find a newer one with 100k....

The R motor I am putting in has 110k its and the motor I am taking out only has 130k on it granted it is going in antoher car so

My preference on the sub 50K engine is that hopefully I won't have to do this engine swap for another 200K miles. Assuming that the first 50K miles the replacement engine wasn't abused too much.

Thus far my research is showing that the difference between a 50K motor and a 100K motor is about $650 bucks. All in all, this little rebuild is estimated to set me back close to $4,000 with a used motor, misc parts and installations.

The damn car was only worth $2,500-3,500 when it was running. Now what, 500 bucks? I could get more in part value that than.....

Put h-beam rods in your existing engine, or buy a used HPT motor, get a reman head, throw in the h-beams, pistons & bearings. If your have other transport, why not rebuild what you have? 200K motors often only need OS1 rebore.

Re: (lookforjoe)

Quote, originally posted by lookforjoe »
      Put h-beam rods in your existing engine, or buy a used HPT motor, get a reman head, throw in the h-beams, pistons & bearings. If your have other transport, why not rebuild what you have? 200K motors often only need OS1 rebore.

Bingo, keep it simple and do it right.

My preference on the sub 50K engine is that hopefully I won't have to do this engine swap for another 200K miles. Assuming that the first 50K miles the replacement engine wasn't abused too much.

Thus far my research is showing that the difference between a 50K motor and a 100K motor is about $650 bucks. All in all, this little rebuild is estimated to set me back close to $4,000 with a used motor, misc parts and installations.

The damn car was only worth $2,500-3,500 when it was running. Now what, 500 bucks? I could get more in part value that than.....

acutally less lol $250 if your lucky at the scrap yard

Keeping it simple right??? Well lets do the math....

1.) rods = Forged Rods w/o bearings = $250 a piece = $1250
      2.) used motor including shipping = between $800 (100K miles) to $1450 (51K miles)
      3.) reman heads = $450 with exchange
      4.) OEM Pistons, rings, bearings and screws = $900
      5a.) Labor for engine R&R: 16 to 20 hours = $1700 to 2000
      5b.) Labor for engine Rebuild 40 to 50 = $3,400 to $4250

Rebuild = min. $6,000 without extras like fluids and bolts
      Engine R&R = min $2,500

Market value of used 98 c70 with 88K miles on it, $5995.

motor milage doenst matter its whats on the OD

so regarldess if your car has a 30k motor but body has 200k the car will sell as a 200k car so ....

$500+ shipping

I realize that a car will sell for the OD. What I was getting at was approx 5K-6K I get a used 98 c70 car with 88K on the motor/car, and all I need to do is transfer the stage III kit along with the rest of the mods over and have a car thats good for another 10 years. Too bad the one close to me isn't saffron..

I'm not quite at the salvage part out stage. When I get there, I'll let you know.

LOL cool

All I want is the frame you can keep the motor and tranny and ecu

h-beam rods are 500, bearings maybe 200.

If your bores are good, rings.

Just sayin', if you want to do it so that you don't bend any more rods, you need better rods

h-beam rods are 500, bearings maybe 200.

If your bores are good, rings.

Just sayin', if you want to do it so that you don't bend any more rods, you need better rods

I agree that I need better rods. That seems to be the weak link. Can to tell me where I can find decent rods for $500 bucks?

The Billet rods which are 4340 steel from Pauter Machine are about $250 a piece with tax in CA. The only other that I found were H-Beams from RSI, but those are $399 a piece.

You should read this thread on RStern's build, he has a very similar setup (IPD Stage III) and is rebuilding/replacing his internals after bending a rod. For a good discussion on rods, see page 2.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=1
      1999 V70 R -- Silver/Charcoal, a few mods.

Re: (andyb5)

Quote, originally posted by andyb5 »
      You should read this thread on RStern's build, he has a very similar setup (IPD Stage III) and is rebuilding/replacing his internals after bending a rod. For a good discussion on rods, see page 2.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=1

Thanks. I've contacted Carroll for pricing. At least I have another option now. It seems like it might be best to what Rsterns finish his and then see what happens.....

Your existing motor is probably fine to use for the rebuild, the machine shop will check it anyways.

Grab some Hbeams from lgspeed.se. Just email Lars at lg@lgspeed.se should be just over $500. Shipping takes a week or less. Lots of guys on VS have used him and I bought my Nira EMS from him.

98 S70 T5M - Heavily modded, 00 V70 R - 03 T5 motor M66 AWD swapped, 05 S60 R - Stock
      96 855 T5M - For sale soon, 99 V70 XC - Parts car, 04 S60 R - Parts car

Re: (BlkT5)

Quote, originally posted by BlkT5 »
      Your existing motor is probably fine to use for the rebuild, the machine shop will check it anyways.

Grab some Hbeams from lgspeed.se. Just email Lars at lg@lgspeed.se should be just over $500. Shipping takes a week or less. Lots of guys on VS have used him and I bought my Nira EMS from him.

Are OEM piston ok to use with Lars Hbeams or is there something better?

Are OEM piston ok to use with Lars Hbeams or is there something better?

That's my exact setup, OEM OS2 pistons and Lars Hbeams, unless your going for HUGE power upgrades, OEM's are just fine.

'98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 414,000 miles on car, approx.110,000 miles on current build. Full port and polish Lgs Rods 2X OEM Pistons, R exhaust manifold, entire engine and trans Cryogenic treated. 18T, ARD Blue tune, TME Catback Exhaust, Sconeman J tube, FDS/Eibach, IPD Sways, IPD HD Links, IPD BBK, I'm sure I've left stuff out, this is the DD
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 170,000 miles, this one to be kept pristine.

Re: (Rsterns)

Quote, originally posted by Rsterns »

That's my exact setup, OEM OS2 pistons and Lars Hbeams, unless your going for HUGE power upgrades, OEM's are just fine.

No major power. My goal would be to get around 350hp at the crank. But I figure that if I'm going to rebuild, I might as well do it right once versus again in another year or two.

OEMs are fine until you start really pushing things. If you plan on sticking with the little 18/19t turbos then don't even think twice about it. Spend money elsewhere.

Does your car have singlemass or dualmass flywheel? If the later, you might consider swapping to a singlemass setup with better clutch. Also consider purchasing a limited slip diff while the trans is out.

98 S70 T5M - Heavily modded, 00 V70 R - 03 T5 motor M66 AWD swapped, 05 S60 R - Stock
      96 855 T5M - For sale soon, 99 V70 XC - Parts car, 04 S60 R - Parts car

Re: (BlkT5)

Long term plan was to change the turbo to a 19T from the current 18T. However, I continue to have issues contacting Marco at MTE for the software. My calls and emails go unanswered and IPD doesn't have the software locally for a ECU swap out. So until something changes in obtaining the software, the 18t will remain.

As for tranny, its an 4-speed automatic. Sorry no clutch, yet. Manual swap was something I was toying with but my daily commute of 45-50 miles each way in bumper to bumper traffic makes me think twice. I've been told the 4 speed tranny is good to about 350hp. My gut tells me that will be the next thing to go on this car since its original and never been rebuilt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast