Sunroof Drains
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: Sunroof Drains

Sunroof Drains

I've just brought my 2008 XC70 back to my dealer for the third time for what appears to be a clogged sunroof drain that results in water filling the driver's side footwell during heavy, prolonged downpours. It even overflows the high-lipped Volvo rubber floor mats, soaking the carpets.

The Service Advisor believes that the occasional high pollen count and other debris may be the cause of the clogging. I live in NE NJ.

I park the car outside, in my driveway, at a slight nose-down angle (approx. 7%), and it was suggested that this may be contributing to all the drains not being utilized.

The dealer has been very helpful and apologetic and insisted that they keep the car for several days to remove the seats and carpets and thoroughly dry everything to prevent any mold or mildew from forming. They provided me with a very nice loaner 2010 V50 for as long as it takes!

None of my previous Volvos with sunroofs, 2 XC70's and an XC90 or my current S40 have sunroof drain issues.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Re: Sunroof Drains (Hahon)

I have read of this being a consistent problem with certain years of the XC90 but this is not something I have ever read about happening with an xc70...

I know this is not directly helpful but I thought I would mention it anyway...

Cheers

2010 Volvo XC70 T6 with Tech Package
      2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited

Re: Sunroof Drains (Dbone)

Dbone;

Thanks for the reply. Our '04 XC90 was always dry!

I'll post when I get an definitive answer from the dealer.

Cheers...........

Do you have your sunroof open often where large debris can get in? The drains should not clog like this with just pollen running around and a closed sunroof.
      2006 V70R Gone but not forgotten| 2002 Envoy | 2000 XJ8 | 1929 Model A

www.VolvoRumors.com | www.ReviewMyRide.com

Re: (adykes)

After the first incident, I got a bit paranoid about making sure that there was no heavy debris in the sunroof opening. They still clogged.

My Service Advisor just called and said that they made some modifications to the drains per a Service Bulletin. (alas, the carpets won't be dry for a few days, yet).

I'll post when I get more details on the Service Bulletin.

Thanks for the reply.

Re: (Hahon)

Quote, originally posted by Hahon »
      After the first incident, I got a bit paranoid about making sure that there was no heavy debris in the sunroof opening. They still clogged.

My Service Advisor just called and said that they made some modifications to the drains per a Service Bulletin. (alas, the carpets won't be dry for a few days, yet).

I'll post when I get more details on the Service Bulletin.

Thanks for the reply.

Since this isn't your first go-round with this problem, I would highly recommend pulling the carpet yourself to inspect for mould when you get the car back.

2006 V70R Gone but not forgotten| 2002 Envoy | 2000 XJ8 | 1929 Model A

www.VolvoRumors.com | www.ReviewMyRide.com

Re: Sunroof Drains (Hahon)

I got my XC70 back from the dealer clean and dry. (I followed 'adykes' recommendation to pull up the carpet and check for any mold or dampness myself. The dealer did an excellent job.)

My Service Advisor said that there was a Service Bulletin regarding sunroof drains in early 3rd generation XC70's (as well as some later XC90's) that had the dealer enlarging the drain openings. Sorry, but I didn't get a specific SB number.

Hopefully, the problem is cured. I'll post if it happens again.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers.......