SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Gear indication- service required

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rayrayb 
#1 ·
hey, im getting a wierd warning on my s40- Just like the title of the thread "gear indication- service required"
I drive a 2005 t5 (automatic) and i just got the car so its still under warrenty so i would like to check it out -

some problems ive noticed include but are not limited to getting stuck in N aswell as when using the triptronic feature when i downshift (say im in gear 3 going 20mph) there is a lag in switching then a clunking noise.

Is the tranny failing here? anybody else having these problems? J.w im going to take it to a shop in the mean time but a headsup would be nice-

Thanks

#3 ·
I don't know why Volvo does not call for a fluid flush on their AT's, just because it's a closed system doesn't mean you forgo a fluid flush every 30K, by 30K it's gonna be pretty dark if not black, it's the heat that kills it. I'm not an expert on AT's, but I've rebuilts lot's of motorcycle front ends (another closed system) and and I change the oil out in those every 10K and it's nasty by then.

#5 ·
Re: Gear indication- service required (rayrayb)

GSM being?

So you don't have the "Gear indication - service required" warning anymore? What about the downshifting from 3rd to 2nd clunking noise, did you have that? And did replacing the GSM, whatever that is, fix the clucking noise?

#6 ·
Re: Gear indication- service required (ion)

i know what you mean about the clunking- the way to avoid it is on the gtec just switch back to d then to ----> gtec. I no longer have that (info) message and i didnt do anything, it just went away, weird.

and i have no idea what GSM is lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.