Replacing Timing Belt On 2004 V70
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Replacing Timing Belt On 2004 V70

I had to replace my timing belt due to a leaking cam seal. Have the new belt on and am trying to get the timing right, but the variable valves are causing me problems. I was told by Volvo that there is a Variable Valve Timing tool that I can order but it will take 5 days to come in.

Does anyone know if 1) I can get the timing right without this tool and 2) if the answer is no, does anyone have one I can pay to borrow. I will pay FedEx shipping both ways.

Car is a 2004 V70 2.5T

XC90 3.2 AWD

Re: Replacing Timing Belt On 2004 V70 (smith401)

I can't believe you did this without the tool... and no experience with these.
      It can be done without the tool but it takes an experienced tech who knows the tricks.
      Now it probably needs it to get everything right
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 62K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 123K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. Showroom condition, LOW miles

I wasn't the one who replaced it. I have a friend who is a ASE tech who did the replacement. Just so happens he initially overlooked the fact the this model has variable valves. I am trying to get my car back as quickly as possible given the situation I am in. I'm not stupid enough to replace it myself and was confident in my techs abilities seeing as he's performed flawless work on my car in the past.

That being said, any tips you have on how I can get the thing timed without the VVT tool I'd appreciate it. He does have some sort of timing tool that for some reason doesn't work seamlessly with variable valves. He told me that he's timed cars from 2000-2005 with this tool.

XC90 3.2 AWD

JRL is right, better to have all the things clear before doing these type of jobs,

Anyways, Ask Chilledman and/or other Volvo techs on the forum, or R forum, they might be able to guide you what to do step by step... i don't think a tool is necessary if he had taken precaution and did the job properly at the first place...

Re: Replacing Timing Belt On 2004 V70 (kamiar)

Thanks. I agree that the job probably could have been done without the tool if steps were followed correctly. I can't take back that mistake though and just need to find a resolution to the problem at hand.
      XC90 3.2 AWD

Please update your progress, as well, smith401. I was considering attempting DIY belt/tensioner, but was unaware of the tool/precautions. Let us know what had to be done & what could have been prevented.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2006 Mazda5 Touring 5MT the runabout
      1991 Celica that replaces the smashed 1996 Ram 1500 my first and last Toyota

If i am not mistaken it is all about getting the marks on cam gears and crank shaft gear aligned properly and that's about it, but i again say get the advise from more experienced guys at the forum....

Re: (kamiar)

let's see if this link works;

http://www.howardsvolvos.webs.com/

i watched as my timing belt system was renewed at volvo of pleasanton, right there with the tech, Beau. he did not use a 'tool' but did work hard to evaluate the relationship of the three timing marks as kamiar has said.

ok, edit. link seems to work. look under engine and i think it is the first thing. this site is in the new IPD, april newsletter. i have scoured the entire site and it seems to fit my experience with volvos over the past 8 years. this is a site mainly for p2 cars.

best of luck, you will get it sorted.

Re: (hastee)

did mine myself no special tools, the can't see how variable valve timing matters much on on the FIXED outside of the cam wheels.... I did use the trick of rotating the cams a little further so they would not pop off TDC when the belt was removed.... worked like candy...

Re: (Oldman)

Quote, originally posted by Oldman »
      did mine myself no special tools, the can't see how variable valve timing matters much on on the FIXED outside of the cam wheels.... I did use the trick of rotating the cams a little further so they would not pop off TDC when the belt was removed.... worked like candy...

That and using the Cam lock tool = sucess

but once you undo it you have to buy the tools

2013 Buick Regal 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me

Re: (Chilled Man)

please help me understand why I need the cam lock tool, I followed several online sites and changed the belt, I understand how the cam is advanced / retarded in relation to the fixed gear, but I don't see why the lock is needed. I put the engine on TDC, marked a few places where it was a little hard to see the factory marks, rotated the engine a little per instructions so it would not pop off TDC, took the belt off, put new parts on. rotated engine to check tension and TDC, all fine.

Re: (Oldman)

Not really much help to the OP at this point, but to pick up the thread:

Put alignment marks on old belt and crank/cam pulleys with paint/nail polish/whatever PRIOR to removal of old belt;

Remove old belt;

Transfer marks from old belt to new belt (very simple, but DON'T "F" this part up);

Put new belt on, aligning marks on new belt with marks on cams/crank pulley.

The rest (tensioner/water pump/etc replacement) is follow-the-directions and good-mechanical-skills simple. Double/triple/quadruple check alignment of your marks after initial installation and again after a few HAND rotations of the engine.

As much as some here would make you believe, it's really NOT rocket surgery...

Try doing an Alfa quad-cam V-6 sometime. Volvo 5's are a comparative walk in the park.

Take care, Ted
      '04 V70 T5 Silver-SOLD
      '98 V70 T5 Red Wagon "Radio Flyer"
      '07 Ford Freestyle "The Better XC90"
      '95 Alfa 164LS Sedan '82 Lancia Zagato '74 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: (WhoaTed)

after all is done; rotate the crank at least one time by hand (ratchet drive) to make sure there is no interference.

good luck if you are afraid, good work it you listen and learn from the folks here.

Finally got the car all timed. After the mechanic timed the car I had a check engine light on, but it turned out to be caused by the rear cam sensor not sitting properly. The morning after the rear cam sensor was fixed and the CEL turned off, the car started up, engine shook, stalled. 2nd startup try the car started fine and drove fine for the rest of the day. Next morning, car sputtered on first startup and ran fine the rest of the day. I asked my tech what happened and he says that it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator. Problem is my car doesn't have one. Since the problem happened right after the rear cam sensor area was touched, could a vacuum line be causing my problem? I don't want to start replacing a bunch of fuel parts if it's something simple. I had the Recall 181 performed on my car back in March and they replaced the fuel pressure sensor. I don't have any codes. Fuel Pressure with the car running is at 55 PSI. Fuel Pressure with the car completely off is 45 PSI.

timing marks on volvo 5cyl engine

I found this link very helpful in finding the timing marks on the engine

http://www.volvoforums.com/forum/sho...t=18853&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      Please update your progress, as well, smith401. I was considering attempting DIY belt/tensioner, but was unaware of the tool/precautions. Let us know what had to be done & what could have been prevented.
      He had issues because he took the cam gear off to change out a seal. Actually changing the t-belt isn't as big of a deal, you don't need a cam locking tool if you mark the cams properly. Again, if you are taking the cams off it is different than a normal t-belt change.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

2006 Ti SR 6MT - Scrapped by CMOD_R.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.