SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

New Elevate Sway Bars Recieved, 1 of 2 Installed

13K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  StealthyS60R 
#1 · (Edited)
I got my new group buy sway bars from the Fed Ex man on friday and scrambled to get at least get the rear bar installed before visiting an auto-x this weekend to see the changes from just one half of the upgrade.

I was very pleased with the quality and finish. Good bends and welds and a nice solid blue powder coat. Also like the choice of two settings in the front and 3 in the rear. Since the stock bar was still up front I decided to start the rear in the medium setting.
I must admit the change was nice, but now that the front seems like the weak link I can't wait to get the front bar installed too. I did pretty well at the auto-x, especially since my car was the biggest thing there besides a HHT someone decided to run on the track. If you haven't seen the thread yet its at the following link.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=139346

EDIT: Here is my seperate thread for installing the front SB
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140972-DIY-Front-Sway-Bar-Replacement

Here are some pics of the product and the rear install.

EDIT: Here is my seperate thread for installing the front SB

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140972-DIY-Front-Sway-Bar-Replacement

See less See more
#6 ·
FV-QR

Install really isn't bad. I did mine on jack stands in a couple hours. Front is a different story though...

#7 ·
Re: (fcpgroton)

Installation of the rear bar took me a couple hours.

After lowering the exhaust and EB cables and unbolting the bar it just took some calculated moving the bar around to get one side in front of the spring to get the bar out.

All I can say is be careful not to bend up the bar bushing brackets when you remove them from the old bar. I tweaked one of them to the point where it made getting it back on more difficult than it needed to be.

The fact that the end link holes are a close fit it also helps to get the powder coat out of the adjustment hole you will use so the end link easily fits through.

I realize with the subframe in the way the front will be a little harder to do but after feeling the results from just the rear I can't wait.

#8 ·
Re: (StealthyS60R)

Thanks for the pics, you answered a lot of questions. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Although, a couple hours seems quite a bit longer than the description makes it sound.
I can't wait to see what you have to say about the fronts. More pics would be great too.

#9 ·
Well, if one had a lift and was trying to be efficient about it you could probably do it in less than an hour. Crawling around on your back and trying to be extra careful makes it take a little extra time though, lol.

#10 ·
Re: New Elevate Sway Bars Recieved, 1 of 2 Installed (StealthyS60R)

Looks great http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Sounds like there doing what there are designed to, keeping the car level thru the turns... I am in on this GB too. And I hope to put my bars in his weekend

JR

#11 ·
Did you ever get around to doing the fronts?
How did that install go?

#12 ·
Install:I did my front in 2 hours, rear in about the same...on a lift, with a helper. It takes time to wrangle the rear past the shocks and into place, I took one rear shock off the bottom mount only, would have been quicker to loosen it up at the top as well.

Result: with both bars set at outer holes (minimal setting) car is much better, I should have done this 2 years ago!

#13 ·
I was gonna do it last Sunday but a good friend of mine was having a pool party so the bar install got put off.

Currently hoping to get on it this weekend though.

As much as I love my car and making it more thrashable, a fun pool party with booze, good friends and hot chicks always gets top priority, lol. :cool:

#15 ·
So basically, even if I have no need for these bars, you were able to notice that much of a difference? My R has 33k miles on it and only gets driven once in a while on weekends. The $300 is tough to pass up since I love to tinker with the car, but I didn't want to spend that just for a bar that was painted blue.
And Yes, Boose, Buddies, and Babe's in Bikini's always come before sway bars :)

#16 ·
When it comes to improving handling, stiffer sway bars is one of the best upgrades you can do to most street cars.

They are much more than blue paint, that's for sure, lol. :)

#17 ·
I got two estimates for installation, the dealer was 540 and and independent volvo place was 430. Is this normal? They said that the rear had to be done properly because of the 4C chassis control system.

#18 ·
Well, unfortunately they are not an easy install, so I can't say the independent's shop estimate is too bad.

Rear can be performed with some finangling, but it does cause one to juggle the bar around the 4C sensors so I can see why they would want to play it safe. Front bar requires at least a partial drop of the front subframe so lots of fun involved up there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.