Front Brake Rotors-What size?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front Brake Rotors-What size?

With the new creation of software for SS, I can't use the search function the way that I want. I only pulled three results for brakes, all current, nothing old. I can't determine what size rotors I need...300mm or 320mm. I own a FWD V50 T5, NOT the 2.4i. When I do web searches, it will list the 2.4i as 300mm and the 2.5i as the320mm. But some are saying that if your calipers look a certain way, then that determines your rotor size. Those pics contradict what the specs are saying. How can I tell without actually taking them off?

320mm:

300mm:

See, that's what I mean. Web applications will say that the V50 T5 is 320mm, but I have calipers that look like your second (300mm) photo. Why is that? Take a look at this link, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      We'd like to offer some help:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/catal...roducts_id=834

The only P1 chassis which came with 320mm rotors from the factory were the S40/V50 AWD T5 with 6-speed manual gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by George @ ViVA View Post

The only P1 chassis which came with 320mm rotors from the factory were the S40/V50 AWD T5 with 6-speed manual gearbox.
      George, what would you suggest for those of us who have the smaller breaks but would like to upgrade to a bigger breaking system?

Thanks,

j.
      John Edgar

Black 06 S40 T5 || RICA Stage II || 3" EST DP ||

since this has been brought up, if i get the caliper and caliper mounting bracket is that all i need to install bigger(320mm) brakes? Ihope the spindle is not different. BTW my car is front wheel drive.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jedgar View Post
      George, what would you suggest for those of us who have the smaller breaks but would like to upgrade to a bigger breaking system?

Thanks,

j.
      Quote Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
      since this has been brought up, if i get the caliper and caliper mounting bracket is that all i need to install bigger(320mm) brakes? Ihope the spindle is not different. BTW my car is front wheel drive.
      Here you go guys:
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/catal...roducts_id=719

Is that front and rear?
      John Edgar

Black 06 S40 T5 || RICA Stage II || 3" EST DP ||

im just wondering if the caliper brackets bolt up to the spindle?

That seems to be a common perception on Swedespeed, but my 2005 V50 T5 FWD with Geartronic came stock with 320mm front rotors. Perhaps it is different for the European markets.
      Last edited by Voldsom Volvo; 05-09-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldsom Volvo View Post
      That seems to be a common perception on Swedespeed, but my 2005 V50 T5 FWD with Geartronic came stock with 320mm front rotors. Perhaps it is different for the European markets.
      I should clarify my statement applies only to the North American market, as you have indicated

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
      im just wondering if the caliper brackets bolt up to the spindle?
      Yes they will!

Quote Originally Posted by jedgar View Post
      Is that front and rear?
      Just the fronts

I should clarify my statement applies only to the North American market, as you have indicated

See, I bought my US Spec V50 T5 FWD 6SpM in Europe. Are you suggesting that since my T5 front calipers look like this:

then I should get front rotors that are 300mm and not the 320mm? And are you saying that all non AWD S40/V50 T5 with 6-speed manual gearbox will get the 300mm?
      Last edited by locutist; 05-09-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by locutist View Post
      See, I bought my US Spec V50 T5 FWD 6SpM in Europe. Are you suggesting that since my T5 front calipers look like this:

then I should get front rotors that are 300mm and not the 320mm? And are you saying that all non AWD S40/V50 T5 with 6-speed manual gearbox will get the 300mm?
      Correct. Since your car was a US Spec build from the factory, it comes with the 300mm brake rotors. You would be a good candidate to upgrade to the 320mm rotors, per our earlier link!

Great! Thanks for the info.

BRAKE CALIPER FRONT Volvo V50 2005-2010 ( 320 MM ) - also On could Buy : http://www.swedishautoparts.com/V50/...d-related.html

There is a Core Charge , and You would have to Buy backing plates from Body shop or used .
      Should be able to save some Bucks .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by 2mmy91 View Post
      320mm:

300mm:
      Man, I knew those pictures looked familiar!

To those inquiring about upgrading brake size...I performed that swap on my C30 from the stock 300mm to the 320mm setup from a V50. SUPER easy swap.

Anyone know if the "320mm" front brakes fit with 16in wheels? I am thinking no, but want to confirm.

I just took a look at my wheel clearance. No way the "320mm" brakes would fit on anything smaller than 17in wheels

Quote Originally Posted by vovlo355 View Post
      I just took a look at my wheel clearance. No way the "320mm" brakes would fit on anything smaller than 17in wheels
      Yes, 16s will fit.

They will definitely fit, assuming you choose Volvo wheels. My V50 T5 AWD 6MT came with 320mm brakes and 16" Clavas, there are no clearance issues.

Really? When I looked at my brakes and wheels (300mm, 16in wheels), it looked like I had about 1/2 inch of clearance from caliper to wheel. If they do fit, that is good news. Thanks.

Yes, really. It's a close fit, but it is fine. I would not try it with non-Volvo wheels; the offset (ET) is critical since the 320mm rotors have a much larger caliper.

i had this same problem with my 2008 v50 t5.. all the research i did showed that my car should have the 320mm rotors. but if you look on the bottom of the calipers they will say 300. i have gone back and forth with volvo about the t5 having the 11.81in (300mm) rotors. volvo told me that the t5 came with 16in rotors. so some1 some where messed up on these cars.. when i look everything up it says the 2.4i has the 11.81in(300mm) and the 2.5 t5 has the 12.60in(320mm). so i finaly ordered the 11.81 and they fit after ordering the 12.60 and taking the car apart for nothing

i have the stock 17in wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Frost0c View Post
      volvo told me that the t5 came with 16in rotors. so some1 some where messed up on these cars
      This is what any Volvo parts database will say - for some reason in all Volvos for many years, the rotor size isn't directly listed but rather the stock wheel size is. And, it isn't always perfectly accurate, due to different options and configuration details. Remember, Volvo is quoting replacement parts, not upgrade possibilities. That's what we're here for! :-)
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

320mm upgrade

Last weekend I upgraded my 300mm brake system to the 320mm setup from a donor V50 T5 6-speed.

Parts that must swap:
      • Calipers (including brackets and pads)
      • Rotors
      • Backing plates (3 5/6" bolts hold them on)
      • Brake hoses

Its a direct fit. A quick bleed of fluid is all that's needed.

The feel of the larger brakes is quite amazing. I didn't expect as much difference. (Donor car had OEM pads). The original 300mm brakes were just fine, but this was worth the swap. Is it worth mega $$$??....probably not. But if you're Autocrossing or you just want better feeling brakes, then perhaps the conversion. If you have the chance to do a 'free' conversion like I did....JUMP on it. You wont regret the improved feel.
      Last edited by beernose; 09-23-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Upgrade How To

Upgrade How To (sorry, no pics):

1. Remove the front wheels (duh!)
      2. Remove the clips that hold the pads to the caliper bracket
      3. Remove the caliper bolts (Torx bit needed)
      4. Remove the calipers, support them and set them out of the way.
      5. Remove the caliper bracket (2 bolts, 17mm heads, often locktighted from the factory)
      6. Remove the rotors (suggest dead-blow hammer to nudge them loose)
      7. Remove the 3 bolts holding the backing plate on (5/16 socket, remember to keep the caliper supported)
      8. Compress the caliper piston (C-clamp or big lock-jaw pliers)
      9. Note the orientation of the brake hose (the angle that it bends away from the hose/brake line junction
      10. Use line wrench to remove brake line from the hose (at top inside of wheel well). Be sure to have small catch pan to catch brake fluid dripping out (keep brake fluid reservoir cap ON, it creates a vacuum and reduces the brake fluid loss into the catch pan)
        You remove the old brake caliper and hose as a complete assembly.
      11. Install upgrade brake line to hose, keeping same hose orientation as original. You can always loosen later and readjust once the caliper is installed.
      12. Install larger diameter backing plate (5/16 socket)
      13. Install larger rotors (ooooh, pretty)
      14. Install caliper bracket (17mm wrench)
      15. Install caliper (with pads)
      16. Install caliper bolts (Torx bit)
      17. Wrestle with the pad retaining clip (long nose pliers and a couple flat screwdrivers)
      18. Pump up the brakes to expand the caliper pistons
      19. Bleed brakes
      20. Install wheels, torque lug nuts
      21. Enjoy.

PS: This assumes the brake hoses are pre-installed to the calipers (as it was in my swap example)

PSS: Yes, OEM 16" wheels fit over the bigger brakes. The donor car had stock 16" S40 Volvo alloy rims. Plenty of room, just a little hard to clean the rim between the caliper and the rim.
      Last edited by beernose; 09-23-2013 at 12:37 AM.

320mm vs 300mm Weight tradeoff ?

Oh, and for those of you concerned with the delta in unsprung weight, I have the weights for you:

300mm:
      • Pads (50% worn): 1.75lbs
      • Caliper: 7.68 lbs (including bolts)
      • Caliper bracket: 3.14 lbs (including bolts)
      • Rotor: 18.22 lbs
      • T5 Clava Rim with 205/55R16 Capitol Sport tire: 41.62 lbs

So that's a total of 30.79 lbs brake hardware plus the wheel assembly of 41.62 lbs.

320mm:
      • Pads (90% worn): 1.66 lbs
      • Caliper: 10.16 lbs (including bolts)
      • Caliper bracket: 3.06 lbs (including bolts)
      • Rotor: 17.34 lbs
      • S40 alloy rim w/ 205/55R16 Michelin tire: 36.86 lbs

So that's a total of 32.22 lbs brake hardware plus wheel assembly of 36.86lbs on my donor car.

The brake upgrade is 1.43 lbs heavier but note that the largest rotational mass is the rotor and 320mm rotor is LIGHTER than the 300mm rotor. The overall weight "penalty" of 1.43 lbs is less than a 2% increase in brake+wheel mass and the 320mm rotors are lighter where it counts...rotational mass.

Also note, that there's weight variation in different TIRE brands that most people totally ignore. The donor and receiver tires have almost a 5 lb delta with similar alloy rims. Rotational mass difference of 5 lbs at the outer edge of the wheel assembly has far more impact than the heavier caliper in the 320mm setup.

PS: Yes, if you're paying attention, I need to order new pads soon very soon!
      Last edited by beernose; 09-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Now it was long time ago you wrote this but thats wrong.

Volvo V50/S40 T5 04-07 FWD and AWD = 300mm
      V50/S40N T5 08-up FWD and AWD = 320mm
      New: Ford Focus RS - Autotech ATM420-kit and much more.. / Soon to come E85 ~500HP
      Sold: Volvo V50 T5 R-design - Autotech ATM420-kit / Focus RS K16 turbo / Quaife diff. / Focus RS sharpened cams / Lots of Elevate products // 404Hk 545Nm Multifuel-tune

Quote Originally Posted by beernose View Post
      Oh, and for those of you concerned with the delta in unsprung weight, I have the weights for you:

300mm:
      • Pads (50% worn): 1.75lbs
      • Caliper: 7.68 lbs (including bolts)
      • Caliper bracket: 3.14 lbs (including bolts)
      • Rotor: 18.22 lbs
      • T5 Clava Rim with 205/55R16 Capitol Sport tire: 41.62 lbs

So that's a total of 30.79 lbs brake hardware plus the wheel assembly of 41.62 lbs.

320mm:
      • Pads (90% worn): 1.66 lbs
      • Caliper: 10.16 lbs (including bolts)
      • Caliper bracket: 3.06 lbs (including bolts)
      • Rotor: 17.34 lbs
      • S40 alloy rim w/ 205/55R16 Michelin tire: 36.86 lbs

So that's a total of 32.22 lbs brake hardware plus wheel assembly of 36.86lbs on my donor car.

The brake upgrade is 1.43 lbs heavier but note that the largest rotational mass is the rotor and 320mm rotor is LIGHTER than the 300mm rotor. The overall weight "penalty" of 1.43 lbs is less than a 2% increase in brake+wheel mass and the 320mm rotors are lighter where it counts...rotational mass.

Also note, that there's weight variation in different TIRE brands that most people totally ignore. The donor and receiver tires have almost a 5 lb delta with similar alloy rims. Rotational mass difference of 5 lbs at the outer edge of the wheel assembly has far more impact than the heavier caliper in the 320mm setup.

PS: Yes, if you're paying attention, I need to order new pads soon very soon!
      So, 300mm rotor weights more than 320mm? Who would expect that..
      C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
      So, 300mm rotor weights more than 320mm? Who would expect that..
      I hear ya bro. You'd totally think otherwise...that would be a good bar bet type of question lol.
      2005 FGM S40 T5 M66 AWD 18" TSW Nurburgring*235/40 Nitto Motivo*EST filter*Phuz TCV*Forge CBV*Samco hose kit*silicone vac lines*Snaab ssk*Rica Stage 1*Denso plugs*OEM spring kit*Racing Beat 27mm RSB*Ipd HD fr links*Viva FSTB*Cryo Stop 320mm rotors*Stoptech pads*Viva SS brakelines*Stoptech fluid*Whiteline LCA bush*EFocus torque mnt*tint*Ipd door pins*EST interior LED*R Shift Knob*OE Sport pedals*LED puddle*Prosport Electronic Boost Gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by opA View Post
      Now it was long time ago you wrote this but thats wrong.

Volvo V50/S40 T5 04-07 FWD and AWD = 300mm
      V50/S40N T5 08-up FWD and AWD = 320mm
      That isn't correct. My '05 is 320mm because T5 AWD M66.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD 6 Spd - Custom Intake, FMIC & Spray System, SMF, S60R Clutch, Muffler
      Delete/Side Exit Exhaust, Corksport RSB, Front LCA Polys, 5mm Front, 20mm Rear, EFocusMnt
      '97 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L 5 Spd - PIAA Headlights, Lowered, Extended Shifter, 4Pt Harness, Plastidip
      '95 Go Kart 1 Spd - Kohler Engine, Mikuni Carb, Big Cam & Stiff Springs, R1 Exhaust

Saw an facelift Rdesign c30 at my work...with 300mm brakes which I thought for sure would have been 320's...another bet I would have lost. The only thing I know is that I have 320mm's lol
      Last edited by Screamindman; 09-24-2013 at 11:46 AM.
      2005 FGM S40 T5 M66 AWD 18" TSW Nurburgring*235/40 Nitto Motivo*EST filter*Phuz TCV*Forge CBV*Samco hose kit*silicone vac lines*Snaab ssk*Rica Stage 1*Denso plugs*OEM spring kit*Racing Beat 27mm RSB*Ipd HD fr links*Viva FSTB*Cryo Stop 320mm rotors*Stoptech pads*Viva SS brakelines*Stoptech fluid*Whiteline LCA bush*EFocus torque mnt*tint*Ipd door pins*EST interior LED*R Shift Knob*OE Sport pedals*LED puddle*Prosport Electronic Boost Gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamindman View Post
      I hear ya bro. You'd totally think otherwise...that would be a good bar bet type of question lol.
      Yep, sure it would!
      C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

Quote Originally Posted by Screamindman View Post
      Saw an facelift Rdesign c30 at my work...with 300mm brakes which I thought for sure would have been 320's...another bet I would have lost. The only thing I know is that I have 320mm's lol
      Surely was a C30 T5.. T5 and D5 has thoose brakes
      New: Ford Focus RS - Autotech ATM420-kit and much more.. / Soon to come E85 ~500HP
      Sold: Volvo V50 T5 R-design - Autotech ATM420-kit / Focus RS K16 turbo / Quaife diff. / Focus RS sharpened cams / Lots of Elevate products // 404Hk 545Nm Multifuel-tune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast