Clear-Coat Peeling off of rear bumber
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Clear-Coat Peeling off of rear bumber

I have a 2007 R with about 30,000 miles and warranty until March of 2011. Not too long ago, I noticed that the Clear-coat on my rear bumper is peeling in several spots, the biggest of which is about 2 inches square. There is also several droplet size areas where it is peeling as well.

I noticed this a few months back but at that time only the droplet sided spots were visible while now it looks like there is more of them and that one large patch.

I contacted my dealership and they told me that Paint is covered only for the first year and therefore, there is nothing they could do. Is this true? I was thinking about contacting volvo US/Canada and see if I can get them to listen. I mean this is ridiculous, its not like there is impact points, the clear-coat and probably the paint (very soon) is just coming off on its own!

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      PB

I have never seen that happen on a newer urethane bumper that has not been re-painted. Sorry.

If you bought it used...

It was probably re-sprayed.

Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

I am 99% confident that the bumper was not resprayed. When I bought the car it had 2000 miles and was about 70 days old. Unless, the guy drove it off the lot into a poll and got it repainted and then repo'd, that thing has the original paint job.

Let's just go with the assumption that it has not been resprayed, can I hold Volvo accountable for this in any manner?

Quote Originally Posted by chinaonnitrous1 View Post
      If you bought it used...

It was probably re-sprayed.

Even if he bought it new, its not unusual for cars to be damaged in shipping, while at the dealer or during test drives and to be fixed with no notice to the new buyer.

That being said, I'm also thinking it must be a bad respray. Of any of the complaints anyone has had here about the R, paint isn't one of them.

Could also be environmental damage from if the car had ever been hit with anything caustic or parked in an industrial area.

I could buy the environmental argument since I imported the car from Virginia where it gets pretty hot, to Calgary Canada where we all know can get pretty darn cold. As far as someone hitting it, that makes not sense since like I said ther is one large spot on the one side of the bumber and the other side has about 20 to 25 small spots.

Like Stealthy says, I bet it was repainted. When cars come off the dock they are sometimes damaged. A lot of cars are actually repainted right at the docks.
      Unless something went wrong at the factory your bumper was re-painted.

What I would probably do is take it to a body shop and simply ask them if its Factory or respray. Many of them have tools to figure it out....

They can tell how many layers etc...

Just because it's from a dealer, it may have been damaged during parking and may have been resprayed, or what not.

Many people on here work at dealers and will probably say the same thing. I doubt our dealer is the only one who will have to respray a bumper or other parts due to an appearance standard.
      Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

OK, so if it was resprayed by dealer prior to original purchase, is there anyway to prove this?

If I go to an independent body shop and they confirm it has been resprayed, does that help my case as far as a warrantly claim of some sort? Or does this basically give me confirmation that the original purchaser was mislead and there is nothing more to do?

Unless you can get the dealership that sold it to ya to go the extra mile, assuming they are not legally or contractually obligated to help you, chances are you are going to be paying for this out of your pocket for this.

I would go over the warranty fine print to be sure though if I were you.

FWIW, The same thing is happening on the two trim pieces on each side of my rear window.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeyMaster View Post
      FWIW, The same thing is happening on the two trim pieces on each side of my rear window.
      Yes same with me!

I vote for a repaint as well. Will Volvo cover it? Tough call but I don't like your odds and here is why. While your USA sourced R warranty is covered in Canada you will find your local dealer will not go to great lengths to help your cause. They are obligated to address your warranty concerns but you may find it will take a long time to book an appointment or get follow up work done quickly. The dealer will take care of "their" customers first and then fit in other cars as they can. The dealer to the North is worse for this and I don't know how the Calgary dealer will deal with it. I do know it is a very busy dealer and simple getting an appointment can be a 2-3 week wait. Add in the pecking order for service and you will have to be patient.

On the upside you probably got a good deal on your car.

I have been treated as an equal in my dealership. Usually, they book me in 2 or 3 days after calling and have had no issues when real work needs to be done.

As far as your other comment, it is a misconception that you save a lot of money when bringing a car across the border these days. After all the hoops they make you jump through you about brake even if not being worst off. I did not purchase my car to save money, I purchased it because in Canada there was no 2007 R's with the sport kit. I donít even think they brought more than a handful of 2007's period. An additional point that people don't think about is the fact that your resale value plummets as soon as people realize you imported your car for very similar misconceptions as you mentioned.

Sounds like your dealer is very professional. This is great as a good dealer is essential for happy R ownership. Money savings vary by model. I had a co-worker that brought in a 1 year old XC90 sport V8. A similar model in Canuckistan was almost $24k more. The R market is a little more balanced. Did you have to have your new car inspected at the local dealer? What did they charge?

No, I did not have it inspected at the dealership. If I had, I would really be in the red!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizon View Post
      I have been treated as an equal in my dealership. Usually, they book me in 2 or 3 days after calling and have had no issues when real work needs to be done.

As far as your other comment, it is a misconception that you save a lot of money when bringing a car across the border these days. After all the hoops they make you jump through you about brake even if not being worst off. I did not purchase my car to save money, I purchased it because in Canada there was no 2007 R's with the sport kit. I donít even think they brought more than a handful of 2007's period. An additional point that people don't think about is the fact that your resale value plummets as soon as people realize you imported your car for very similar misconceptions as you mentioned.
      I'm surprised. When I imported my '07 S60R in October 2007, the MSRP for a Canadian version was $68K. The same car south of the border was $48K which they promptly dropped to $40K. I don't know what the final price would have been in Canada because I couldn't find a new one here, but even with shipping to my door ($1500) and duty and GST, I save some real dough, although that wasn't my intention.

The dealer in Edmonton has been EXCELLENT in every regard when dealing with warranty issues.
      Present:
      '07 S60R, Black Sapphire/Gobi, 6GT, 18" Pegs, NAV, Prem, Climate, IAQS, Park Asst, iMIV, Updated Rain Squeal Bracket, Aux light kit, Power mirrors with puddle lights
      '07 Acura MDX Elite, Burgundy/Grey, Full Load

The way it has worked out for me is that it has mitigated some of my loses now that I am looking to sell the car. What I mean here is that after driving it for 2 years, I will now lose about 7k rather than say 10-12k compared to if I bought it in Canada. Where I said there is a misconception is that people that bring vehiles make a lot of money on them. This may be the case if you flip it but not if you use it as your primary vehicle, especially one as rare as and 07 R because there is not too many looking for that specific car.

my rear bumper did same thing

i was getting the same flaws in the paint as the OP - bubbles or imperfections in the paint especially after it got wet - on the flat top portion right in the middle of the rear bumper, below the trunk. i am certain it was resprayed by the dealer as part of its CPO "refurbishment" prior to sale.

as a cheap solution i bought some bulk urethane paint protection film from Xpel and cut/installed it myself over the problem area. now my bumper is protected from luggage scrapes and environmental damage, and the existing imperfections are less noticeable. FWIW i did my front bumper with a kit but it was a lot harder.

Quote Originally Posted by vickisue97b View Post
      i was getting the same flaws in the paint as the OP - bubbles or imperfections in the paint especially after it got wet - on the flat top portion right in the middle of the rear bumper, below the trunk. i am certain it was resprayed by the dealer as part of its CPO "refurbishment" prior to sale.

as a cheap solution i bought some bulk urethane paint protection film from Xpel and cut/installed it myself over the problem area. now my bumper is protected from luggage scrapes and environmental damage, and the existing imperfections are less noticeable. FWIW i did my front bumper with a kit but it was a lot harder.
      Can you tell me the exact name of the product you used? Looks like I may need to try the same thing.