S60r boost
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: S60r boost

S60r boost

How do you know if your car is making proper boost? How so you know if your car is running proper? I want to start modding but feel it is a waste if the car is not running to its full potential in stock form. Some times it feels like it is pulling strong and I can hear the high pitch wine of the turbo and some times it feels like a sled.

boost gauge
      04 S60R Silver/Atacama GT Sport, Climate
      IPD CAI, DP, Customized Heico Exhaust
      http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSC_0067.jpg

Is the ambient temperature a lot hotter when the car feels sluggish? If so, its a result of the intercooler becoming heat soaked.
      Matt
      http://www.phuzzymotorsports.com - www.facebook.com/phuzzymotorsports
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT: FMIC, DP, Autotech Tune
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design (Wife)
      1993 S13 - 2JZGTE, PT6262 @ 26psi, HKS 272s, Haltech PS2000, 1000cc, Meth, 4" FMIC

Easy questions?
      To see if the car is building proper boost install a boost gauge in the cabin of the car.
      Intermittent performance could be a sign of a faulty boost pressure sensor, and or heat soak of the two intercoolers.

I love my modded R and am looking forward to the next stage of performance... You have to really get to know your car and be meticulous with maintence if you are going to want it to last and work properly.
      06 Ti Grey SR w/Sport Pkg, Manual, (IPD)>Stage II, AMS w/custom AEM Dry Flow, 3in DP, Track Sway Bars, HD Endlinks, Boost Gauge, Silicone Vac Lines, Upr Engine Mnt, HD Trans Mount. SNABB Intake & Short Shifter,IPD 3" Oval Exhaust, Phuz HD TCV, Viva HD CBV, Wg 7psi, Port Matched/Polished Intake Manifold, Victory Performance FMIC w/IMEC, Labonte Stg II H2O/Meth Injection. http://www.dragtimes.com/Volvo-S60-Timeslip-19306.html

Ok, so I just ordered the IPD blue gauge and pod that matches the R interior. It looks good and from the reviews and the video looks pretty simple to install. What readings should I be getting totally stock and on what suspension setting. Thanks for the help by the way!

14.7Psi In any of the suspension settings.

What year is you R, the wiring was different in 04 and 05+, later models have fuses with constant power that does not turn off when key is in off position. Different wiring is needed to have the gauge lighting turn On and OFF with the car.
      2005 Volvo s60r Black Saphire/Nordkap MT, PhMIC, iPd DP, Heico Exhaust, Volutions, Trak Spec F&R Sways, IPD Stage 2, R Kelly Intake , SS Brake Lines, HD Coils, Viva forge CBV, R Boost Gauge , Strut Brace, GROM Aux Input, CB Radio....
      2001 BMW 530i Alphine White
      2004 Volvo s60r 6MT Black Sapphire/ Nordcap Sold and Missed 11/20/09

Use a test light or a multimeter to find a power source when the ignition is on.

I found one that is for the running lights, so it is on when the corner lights are on.

What year is your car? I can go out to my car and look if ya want.
      2004 Sapphire/Nordkap S60R traded in for a 2006 British Racing Green - Mini Cooper S - John Cooper Works

you shoulda waited for the new R gauge to come out from ipd

The R gauge from IPD is what I got. It is blue like the gauges in the car. Is there a different one coming out? My car is a 2005.

yea http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-Kinds-of-Toys... check this thread and you can see it its similar but definitely worth getting
      its on page two

Quote Originally Posted by jrr422007 View Post
      yea http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-Kinds-of-Toys... check this thread and you can see it its similar but definitely worth getting
      its on page two
      Thanks a million! I will be calling first thing in the AM to cancel and wait for that gauge! I guess I will run to JEGS and get a cheapo just to get some levels for now.

Former Advertiser
      That new R gauge looks fantastic. I currently have the prosport gauge, which I like a lot. But I may swap it out for this one.

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by jrr422007 View Post
      its on page two
      And page three as well.
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Quote Originally Posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate View Post
      And page three as well.
      It is just as easy to post a pic as a link...

2004 S60R MT Titanium/Nordkap, Premium, Comfort, Nav, Bluetooth, IMiV, ProSport
      2xCAI, BMC filter, Snabb Intake, Viva FMIC/Turbo/CBV, AEM H20 Inj, RICA Stage 3, EST DP, Mod EST Exh, GiroDisc 2pc rotors/SS lines/Ti Shims, IPD endlinks/25mm rear sway, OZ Superturismo LMs, Euro Headlights and so on...
      Link to R Kelly CAI @ IPD

So I currently have the old Evolve tune and boost around 23 psi peak with 19psi steady while flooring it. When I switch to the Elevate tune will I be boosting less than that, and also will it be faster even if I am boosting less? The elevate tune should account for the DP I recently added too.
      2005 S60R 6MT Now: OBX 3" DP (w/ Magnaflow cat), Elevate Tune, K&N air filter, IPD HD TCV, IPD R boost gauge, ViVA CBV Upgrade, Eibach Springs, Elevate Sway Bars, Elevate Upper Engine Mount, IPD Tranny Mount, IPD Front Strut Brace, IPD Upper Stabilizer Bushings, Unorthodox Racing Lightweight Crank Pulley. Down the Road: Phuzzy Intercooler, ViVA Water-Methanol Injection, EST Cat-Back Exhaust, ViVA Lower Chassis Brace

If you are boosting less, on the same motor, you will not be faster (ie, creating more power). The simple way to create more power with less boost is a bigger snail.
      Matt
      http://www.phuzzymotorsports.com - www.facebook.com/phuzzymotorsports
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT: FMIC, DP, Autotech Tune
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design (Wife)
      1993 S13 - 2JZGTE, PT6262 @ 26psi, HKS 272s, Haltech PS2000, 1000cc, Meth, 4" FMIC

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by phuz View Post
      The simple way to create more power with less boost is a bigger snail.

How large of a snail does one need to produce say 400hp?
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Quote Originally Posted by 850arrrsaylikepirate View Post

How large of a snail does one need to produce say 400hp?
      The K24 that the R comes with is right on the upper edge of its efficiency limits to pull that off. Its the reason why the Viva hybrid unit is just a modified K24 with a trimmed exhaust wheel and slightly larger compressor wheel.

There is a pretty good selection of larger turbos from other manufacturers, the problem is making them fit in the R, plumbing them and the tradeoff in the low end torque department.