Replacing My HU-803 in My Volvo S60R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
      Former Advertiser

Replacing My HU-803 in My Volvo S60R

Hey Everyone,

I want to replace my stock Volvo HU-803 with an aftermarket double dim nav unit. The car is a 2004 Volvo S60R. I was able to find the double dim adapter for the new stereo but I still have a few questions.

1: Does the 04 S60R have an external amp?
      2: Do they make a plug and play wire harness?
      3: Will the center channel work?
      4: Do they make a controller so I can still use the steering wheel controls?

I think that is it for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by fcpgroton View Post
      Hey Everyone,

I want to replace my stock Volvo HU-803 with an aftermarket double dim nav unit. The car is a 2004 Volvo S60R. I was able to find the double dim adapter for the new stereo but I still have a few questions.

1: Does the 04 S60R have an external amp?
      2: Do they make a plug and play wire harness?
      3: Will the center channel work?
      4: Do they make a controller so I can still use the steering wheel controls?

I think that is it for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      1. The HU-803 has an external amp, 4-channel for LF/RF/LR/RR, the center channel amp is in the HU.
      2. You can find a plug and play harness on Ebay. google volvo amp cable
      3. The center channel will not work unless you get a Dolby PL or 5.1 (or better) capable HU--of which there are very few if any.
      4. Yes, it is a Dietz controller; $$, call Persan (or Perzan) Auto Sound in Philly. There may be on or two others, but no one has actually tested them, yet.

All this information is available many times over in the old swedespeed content, unfortunately most of it is not yet back online (it's coming). Try googling, some of it is their cache and do try searching here, too. There was a thread discussing a lot of this that is available since the Great Swedespeed Software Conversion.
      '04 V70 NA -- gone

Former Advertiser
      Thanks for the info. I normally just search for everything and find it but since the conversion of the board, the search has become useless.

One last question, will the harness bypass the amp? If not, how would I connect my aftermarket unit?

The wife from headunit to amp is some 6 pin or so din cable.

That din cable doesnt plug into a stock headunit

I would ditch the stock headunit and go with a Apline Pdx.5

that will do 75 watt per channel and give you a 300 watt for a sub channel also
      2013 Buick Regal 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me

Former Advertiser
      Nevermind, answered my own question.

Former Advertiser
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
      The wife from headunit to amp is some 6 pin or so din cable.

That din cable doesnt plug into a stock headunit

I would ditch the stock headunit and go with a Apline Pdx.5

that will do 75 watt per channel and give you a 300 watt for a sub channel also
      Thanks Justin, I found the 6 pin cable online so I am going to try it first. If it does not work, then I will get an new amp.

Pittsburgh, PA // Ft. Bragg, NC // Woodstock, GA
      Where did you find a double din dash kit that fits the 2004 s60r?? -I need one...

Or I'll have to hack a single din and MAKE it a double.
      Keoni - 2004 SR Saphakap MT||VolvoTista: BOV Kit // IPD: Strut Bar Conv, Upper Polly Mount, Trans Polly Mount // Elevate: Track Sways, SS Brake Lines, AMS // Phuzzy: FMIC, HD TCV // WothRline: Custom Tune // Custom 3" DP w/Magnaflow Cat w/ 3" Cut-Out // Custom 3" Exhaust w/Borla XR-1 muffler to dual exit 2.5" (quad tips) & Magnaflow resonator // Custom 3" CAI // SNAAB: Intake // UR: Pulley // (My Diffuser)

Blog Entries
      Call John at Boston Volvo and order one. The OE unit provides the best match.
      '04 V70 NA -- gone

Former Advertiser
      I did, he said he will have it shipped out tomorrow or Thursday because he needs to order it first. Should have everything I need by friday..... *fingers crossed*

Former Advertiser
      Ok, I got everything I need to do the install and will be starting it tonight. I have one quick question about the 6 PIN DIN cable I got off eBay for the amp. Besides the RCA connectors that are attached, it has a second wire that is black and red. I am assuming the black is ground but what is the red wire for? Is this a signal line to the amp to tell the amp that HU is on?

Pittsburgh, PA // Ft. Bragg, NC // Woodstock, GA
      Quote Originally Posted by fcpgroton View Post
      Ok, I got everything I need to do the install and will be starting it tonight. I have one quick question about the 6 PIN DIN cable I got off eBay for the amp. Besides the RCA connectors that are attached, it has a second wire that is black and red. I am assuming the black is ground but what is the red wire for? Is this a signal line to the amp to tell the amp that HU is on?
      correct
      Keoni - 2004 SR Saphakap MT||VolvoTista: BOV Kit // IPD: Strut Bar Conv, Upper Polly Mount, Trans Polly Mount // Elevate: Track Sways, SS Brake Lines, AMS // Phuzzy: FMIC, HD TCV // WothRline: Custom Tune // Custom 3" DP w/Magnaflow Cat w/ 3" Cut-Out // Custom 3" Exhaust w/Borla XR-1 muffler to dual exit 2.5" (quad tips) & Magnaflow resonator // Custom 3" CAI // SNAAB: Intake // UR: Pulley // (My Diffuser)

Former Advertiser
      Ok, the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT is in and working great. The Volvo Double DIN I got from the dealer was a little to big. Basically, there is a 1/2 inch gap on the bottom and a 1/4 gap on the right side of the HU. Other then that, loving the unit.

I do have one question though. When I was installing the HU with the harness I got off ebay, it did not have the pins setup for the car speed signal and the illumination signal for the parking switch. I am able to add pins to the green connector but I do not know which color the wires are on the stock harness.

Does anyone have a wire diagram for the radio in the 2004 S60R or could at least tell me what color the dimmer wire is and the car speed wire?

Pictures needed

Blog Entries
      The VSS (speed), illumination and steering wheels controls are all digital signals over the canbus. You will need a Dietz adapter to get an analog signal for the aftermarket HU.
      '04 V70 NA -- gone

Former Advertiser
      @MrTippy: I see. I guess I will have to just get the signal to dim the display directly of the parking light switch. Easy enough.

@Avboden: It was to dark last night to get any good pictures so I will take some today and post them up.

Former Advertiser
      Ok, here are the pictures of the unit installed.

Last edited by fcpgroton; 06-17-2010 at 11:02 AM.

wheres the trim ring for that ?

I used doulbe sided tape on the bottom to space it out correctly .

PM ghoastshadow he will be able to get you the cage and trim peice to finish it up
      2013 Buick Regal 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me

Former Advertiser
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
      wheres the trim ring for that ?

I used doulbe sided tape on the bottom to space it out correctly .

PM ghoastshadow he will be able to get you the cage and trim peice to finish it up
      Believe it or not, it did not have a trim ring. As for the cage, I will PM him now.

EDIT: System is saying ghostshadow/ ghoastshadow does not exist.
      Last edited by fcpgroton; 06-17-2010 at 05:50 PM.

FCP, in another thread (may not have been on Swedespeed), someone pointed me to this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NYxPDjs...ADT-VA133.html

This might take care of the gapping/spacing that goes on w/this unit, but I've seen Chilled Man with another product that he used on a different HU.