SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

P0017 - Cam/Crank Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1

58K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  alf21 
#1 ·
My car, which seemingly hates either me or the upper 90 degree heat, threw the P0017 - Cam/Crank Position Correlation Sensor B Bank 1 code today. I didn't clear this one out yet, as I'm not sure what to make of this. Is this just the sensor dying or did my timing belt skip a tooth? If it's the latter, I'm NEVER again going back to the dealer that just did my timing belt replacement. Any easy way to tell, or does this mean another trip to the dealer? :confused:

I don't want to unload this car, but I'm getting tired of this ****.

#2 ·
If that is anywhere near a camshaft reset valve code and you just did your timing belt then Its safe to say that the VVT unit was rolled backwards half a turn like its supposed to be before doing the belt. Otherwise Im not sure what that general fault would be in volvo faults. I rarely see a crankshaft or camshaft sensor fault, its more commonly camshaft control faults due to the reset valves getting plugged sludge.

#5 ·
Car wouldnt nearly run a tooth off though, and the code would have set almost immediately since the camshaft would not be able to control the timing within its range. Most cases its due to not rolling back the VVT unit before removing the old belt.

#6 ·
You've sure been having more than your fair share of problems lately, hope it gets resolved easily.

#7 ·
Thanks madden, I actually need that. I love my car, and this kind of stuff really hurts. I've started thinking about what I would get instead if I said goodbye to my car (335xi or s60r). The only bright side I can come up with is all the parts going in are new.

garbergtsi, my car is never going back until they are proven innocent by a different dealership. This isn't the first time I have had issues with them (potentially in this specific case).

FF, I'll try to suggest that to the service advisor. Usually, he's pretty good about listening, despite my youth.

#8 ·
Hey no worries, I feel ya on the youth. Im 22, its not easy showing the older "experienced" technicians how its done without them thinking im being a smart ass or make them look bad :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I have seen these motors run off by 3 teeth...barely, yes and they do sound like a diesel like that....but on the other hand i have seen quite a few one tooth off and run perfectly fine.

He did say that the dealer "just did the timing belt replacement" How long did the vehicle run before the light came on?

#10 ·
I have seen these motors run off by 3 teeth...barely, yes and they do sound like a diesel like that....but on the other hand i have seen quite a few one tooth off and run perfectly fine.

He did say that the dealer "just did the timing belt replacement" How long did the vehicle run before the light came on?
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?139556-Premature-Timing-Belt-Failure

I would estimate I've driven little over a thousand miles since, but I can get an exact number once I get home. Light came on yesterday, though I'm still holding out hope it's some unnecessarily scary-named emissions code. Taking in to a different dealer this Thursday after work, as that's the soonest they can see me.

#11 ·
Code cleared itself on the drive home today, so I'll pretend the issue never popped up. The only thing I did differently today was fill my gas tank. I can't imagine this matters...but doesn't the car use an adjustment for the fuel map when low on gas?

#12 ·
I would at least take it in to have the system read for any Volvo specific codes being set to go along with this code as the P0017 is a generic code, unless you have a read that reads all of Volvo's codes? Was a CEL light along with this? Having the timing off if that is the case is never a good thing, even if its just a bad sensor now you can't rely upon that to detect a problem if one does arise.

At the least I'd check to see if there are an modules reporting DTC via the DIM, turning the ingnition to POSII, hold read button and press rear fog two times in quick succession then wait a few seconds and see if the any of the other models read "SET".

With all your recent trouble I'd say its probably safe to assume you have some underlying problem somewhere. Do a google search on your thread title, with Volvo in the line and you'll find some others have had similar experiences in reguards to the fuel thing you spoke of.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

#15 ·
I would at least take it in to have the system read for any Volvo specific codes being set to go along with this code as the P0017 is a generic code, unless you have a read that reads all of Volvo's codes? Was a CEL light along with this? Having the timing off if that is the case is never a good thing, even if its just a bad sensor now you can't rely upon that to detect a problem if one does arise.
Yes, there was a CEL, but it is gone now 'magically'. I know they can clear themselves, but it is frustrating with this and my clutch issues still. Issues better present themselves tomorrow morning when I roll up to the dealer...again.

At the least I'd check to see if there are an modules reporting DTC via the DIM, turning the ingnition to POSII, hold read button and press rear fog two times in quick succession then wait a few seconds and see if the any of the other models read "SET".

With all your recent trouble I'd say its probably safe to assume you have some underlying problem somewhere. Do a google search on your thread title, with Volvo in the line and you'll find some others have had similar experiences in reguards to the fuel thing you spoke of.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
Thanks man, I'll get to that probably in the morning before I leave for the dealer. Doing another google search now. Love the SS forums, full of such good resources.

#13 ·
Just had a car today that I have to reset the VVT units. Was setting a camshaft fault for both intake and exhaust cams that were high. They were reporting 18* when the max positive is 8*. Means I have to lock the cams and reset the VVT or basically do a t-belt. This car has 60K and timing belt hasnt been touched. Just goes to show how random faults can really be.

#16 ·
Also I have heard if you don't get the torque right on the center bolt right it can set VVT codes. Haven't seen it yet in person thou
I fixed that car today, had to do the whole procedure of locking the cams and crank and set the VVT units. Procedure is kind of a joke, follow it step by step in VIDA and sure enough my VVT adaptions intake and exhaust were back within spec. Have no idea how they were out 10* since the car only had 60K miles and none of the timing components have been touched... Most cases you see problems like this when people mess with what they think are just the cam gears or do the improper timing belt procedure of turning the engine past the marks and then counterclockwise back a quarter.

#18 ·
I rotated the VVT units and they seemed decent, this was an 05 XC90 as well, the B5254T I think it is. Ive seen were they felt chunky which I normally will sell a new VVT but these felt ok so just reset the timing and shipped it. Hope for the best I guess. They were way out of adaption before which doesnt make much sense since I didnt technically find a fault other than them being out of spec.

#19 ·
Well my car freaking hates me. All codes were cleared (no CEL or DTCs using the above trick) when I showed up this morning, and the service writer didn't want to touch the VVT or anything for that matter without a CEL. He's also short-staffed hardcore, so I can't get back in until Wednesday. Awesome :(

Great, no codes, no problem....or not. Start the car up to drive home (sitting in sun at work, temp range 85 to 94 F), and the CEL rears it's fugly head again. Drove anyway, parked, turned the car off. Did the DTC trick again, set: ECM, CEM, CCM; checking SWM, DDM, ICM, PDM. All others before PDM were ready. Either PDM is the last one, or it stalled the crap out of the DTC checking trick. I couldn't get the message to go away, including getting out of the car, locking the car, and getting back in. It did eventually go away just after I gave up on it (I had to go back to the car because I left my wallet and phone in it). I don't have a DTC checking device, and I didn't swing by Advance Auto Parts or Autozone on my way in, so I can't get the numbers. Anyone in the Annapolis-area this weekend...I'd rather not take it to the dealer and have to explain that I don't want them to fix it (it's complicated)?

#20 ·
Unfortunatly your only solution to finding out what is going on lies in the Volvo specific codes set in the ECM which are probably go along with your generic P0017 and I don't think Autozone or AAP can do that. So Volvo didn't even hook up to car to check for stored codes?

One thing you might check though. I know you say it appears to be heat related, which it does but 85-94F is nothing compared to what the car sees while the car is operating, so even on a cold day after its been operating for awhile this should happen. Possibly the heat issue is related to your battery....and the other issues are because of the battery as well, I know wishful thinking but its an easy and cheap checkout just remove the battery and have Autozone or AAP do a bench load test on it many places will check it for free, might want to let it sit in the sun for awhile before bringing it in to get as close to your fault symptoms as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.